Consultation - Bus Lane, Southend Lane (Bellingham Side)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
broken_shaman

Consultation - Bus Lane, Southend Lane (Bellingham Side)

Post by broken_shaman »

TFL and Lewisham council are proposing significant changes to the road layout on Southend Lane on the Bellingham side, to put in bus lanes.

There is no pedestrian phase at all on the junction with Worsley Bridge Road and Southend Lane, which makes it very difficult to cross safely, particularly for children, so I have commented in the section about other aspects of Southend Lane in the hope that it may finally be redesigned if this proposal goes ahead.

https://consultation.lewisham.gov.uk/hi ... sultation/

Maps of the proposal: https://consultation.lewisham.gov.uk/hi ... tation.pdf
stuart

Re: Consultation - Bus Lane, Southend Lane (Bellingham Side)

Post by stuart »

I am reading the maps as showing only an East-West Bus Lane. This is mostly recovering road from parked vehicles on the downward slope to the railway bridge.

I used to drive along Southend Lane several times a week. I drove the short distance because I couldn't cycle it. I tried and took professional advice. The problem is that having braved the suicidal Bell Green gyratory going under the bridge you have a signficant climb with just a single lane with reservation on the right. If you ride on the left at the recommended 1 metre or so from the kerb you will be slow (because of that incline) and invite close and dangerous passes. The alternative is (according to the official government guide) is to control the lane by riding in the centre preventing overtakes. While this should be safer it is sure going to annoy some drivers being held up by a 5-10mph cyclist.

That annoyance could become something even more dangerous.

Hence a bus lane on the incline side instead would be a great gift and link with the Waterlink route from Ladywell. Indeed recovering the road used as parking West to East would be greater value to cycling and buses. Roads, after all, should be used for travel first and foremost.

As for your request for a pedestrian crossing phase at the traffic lights - thumbs up. Also a zebra crossing on the opposite side of the railway bridge at the exit of Waterlink Way across the current reservation would be welcome. As the traffic is almost continous you have to step out and will a motorist to give way. They have to date or I wouldn't be writing this.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

It does seem like a wasted opportunity not to put in cycle lanes. Or at least cycle lanes joining up the gaps in between bus lanes.

A bus lane is of some help, but also has very large buses in it, which stop frequently, so not ideal.

I presume the bus lanes will be camera controlled to deter people simply whizzing down them...
stuart

Post by stuart »

IME Bus lanes are better cycle lanes than cycle lines. Two reasons: first they are wider, second they are better respected.

Bus drivers are generally great and the occasional pause sure is preferable to the current free for all. If you have space for three great but it is better that bus lanes take priority when not.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

We should aim for segregated cycle lanes, rather than paint on the road. Southend Lane, and many other roads this side of the bridge benefit from being extremely wide.

If the car parking in the outer lane of what is practically a dual carriageway, was removed, along with the wasted space for the central reservation, there would be space for a bus lane each way and a segregated, two way cycle lane.

Further down Southend Lane, they all park fully in the pavement and there is still room for pavement, when people keep their hedges trimmed...