Oystergate: Showdown Time

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
randomv

Post by randomv »

Surely if they put a little ticket cabin by the gate, as they have done at Forest Hill and Brockley (I think) they wouldn't have to close the gate at the first sign of rain.

I've given up on the train. For my last few weeks of work I'll be taking the bus - it may take a bit longer but it's far less stressful and I can at least get a seat! So Southern won't be making any money out of me for a while!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

boon wrote:Closed on Tuesday morning at 7.45am. They did open it when I rang, although when I turned up there were a number of confused looking people hanging around talking about whether or not it was supposed to be open. People are going to stop bothering trying to use that gate, which would probably suit Southern fine so they can take the guard off permanently.
the attendant probably went for a wee!

guy there this morning was great. said good morning etc...good to see.
boon

Post by boon »

nasaroc wrote:He is adamant that, even if staff are absent, anybody will be granted entry during "opening times", "no questions asked" if they press the buzzer.
Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if they just left the gate open in this case? Saves their staff getting constantly buzzed, as was happening when I was there this morning, and avoids confusing and/or delaying their "customers" (as they like to call us).
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I have just done a search on the Lewisham planning website and could not find any planning applications for the construction of ticket gates on platform 1. Didn't the bloke from Southern (or was it the chap from TFL) say that plans had been submitted?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Yes a plan for a gate has been submitted to LBL. I have seen the plan. It will not appear on the LBL planning website until it is a fully-fledged plan i.e. when the plan has been fully worked up and both sides (LBL and TFL/Southern) are happy with it. It can then go through the planning process.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Rich Pickings - another thought about the proposed gate.

If the plan for the new gate does not appear on the LBL planning website by early September, I will contact LBL and try to hurry this along. Although the current situation is a great deal better than a "closed gate", it still means that for six hours in the middle of the day the gate is shut - not to mention the times when the staff don't turn up and the gate has to be closed!

Far better to get a functioning gate in operation so that the station can be accessed on that side throughout the day.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Good - as long as they are not trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
Thank you
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I received a long, detailed, and rather boring letter from southern yestderday defending their position and responding to my legal points. If anyone wants to see a copy PM me your email address and I'll send you a scan. I didn't feel they addressed my points completely...I'm going to have to consider what I do next, if anything.

On another point I've noticed when alighting on platform 2 these past couple of days that the guard on duty is opening the gates up as the train pulls in.... something which I'm very happy about.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Am I the only one who thinks its a total waste of time having these gates at Sydenham station?

when in the evening you get off the train and the attendant just opens them all ? (can someone please explain the point?)

Maybe Im missing something ?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

goonerchamp wrote:Am I the only one who thinks its a total waste of time having these gates at Sydenham station?

when in the evening you get off the train and the attendant just opens them all ? (can someone please explain the point?)

Maybe Im missing something ?
I agree with you Goonerchamp. A few days ago I saw someone trying to go through the barriers straight behind someone as he clearly didn't have a ticket. The person in front stopped and asked him what he was doing, which alerted the guard.

The guard asked the man what he was doing and he replied he forgot to buy a ticket. The guard then asked him to go to the window and pay. Having let him through the main barrier the man proceeded to brazenly just walk out of the station.

I laughed out loud.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This morning I tried to renew my oyster travel card (monthly). The guy behind the glass said they didn't do oyster, not even for a travelcard.

When did they stop doing them? My wife got one last month! Or are the staff just a bit dumb?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

they've never issued any kind of Oyster card at the station.....stupidly enough.

I was rather amused by a barrier at London Bridge that had "oysters only" written on it though....
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Unfortunately Bensony is correct... you can get/renew your Oyster at London Bridge, but not at Sydenham (or any other Southern station). Easiest way may be to order online, but then you have to activate it when you touch in or out at a station and I think it only works at TFL stations.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Try New Cross Gate - it's nearer and the queue's shorter! :wink:
barrybethel

Post by barrybethel »

You can actually buy travel cards for Oyster at many of the newsagents in the area.
I find it to be much easier to go there than queue up at the station.
Shenlong

Post by Shenlong »

leenewham wrote:This morning I tried to renew my oyster travel card (monthly). The guy behind the glass said they didn't do oyster, not even for a travelcard.

When did they stop doing them? My wife got one last month! Or are the staff just a bit dumb?
They don't do oyster at all at the station. Twice Street newsagent and other places in the highstreet will top up or do monthly tickets for oyster for you.
boon

Post by boon »

Station staff still aren't living up to the promises that have been made by their superiors. When I've been to the side gate out of the hours that it's manned, invariably either the buzzer is ignored or I have to argue with the person on the intercom about whether or not they should open the gate. I and a few of my local acquaintances have entirely stopped trying to use the gate at these times.

Worse, I was coming down the stairs onto the platform yesterday around 2pm (after having gone around via the station), and there was a young woman with a buggy at the intercom arguing with the staff. I only caught the end of it, but the staff member asked her why she couldn't "get one of those men on the platform to help carry the buggy over the bridge and use the ticket barrier". She started shouting after that, at which point the gate was opened.

As I recall, we were told by Southern that the gate would be opened if we used the intercom "no questions asked". They told us that directly at the station meeting - why haven't they informed the station staff?
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

I used the gate/intercom system a couple of times recently. The door was opened with no questions asked. I look 'able-bodied' and didn't have any luggage. It seems there is no consistency in the policy.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I thought they undertook to leave it open when unmanned.

then again we all know that the TOCs are a bunch of pisstakers...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

just another experience of the farce of the gates.... I nearly missed my train today (the 0620) as the gates were closed and the guard was not standing by them...thus making it impossible to get to the platform.

I genuinely believe that counts as being inconvenienced (byelaw 7).