4 years ago…

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

4 years ago…

Post by leenewham »

…we moved to Sydenham from Brockley.

Our first night me and my much better half walked up the high street to That's Amore for our 'first supper' (and very good it was too). That night after the nightmare of living in Brockley we enjoyed the almost complete silence of Fairlawn Park while being surrounded by boxes full of stuff collected, unused, unloved but seemingly unable to be thrown away. It was bliss.

I thought I'd list the positive things that have happened in those 4 years. Sometimes we take them for granted.

Since I moved here:
Forest Hill Pools Louise House were saved from being knocked down.
The greyhound was saved from destruction.
Sydenham library was saved from total closure.
Mayow Park achieved Green flag status.
Home Park improved greatly with arts in the park, the outdoor gym etc.
Blue Mountain Cafe opened.
Billings opened.
Trattoria Raffaele opened.
The Co-operative moved here.
Sugahill opened.
Kente opened.
Alhambra opened.
JH skincare opened.
The Sydenham Arts Festival has been held.
The Dolphin started showing plays in it's garden.

Most of this happened due to traders and members of the community got together to make things happen. The Sydenham Society had a large role to play in this as did the various friends of groups.

More importantly I became a dad. :-) (No role for the Sydenham Society there though!).

We are all guilty of talking the place down (i'm no exception!). Sometimes it's good to look at the good stuff. Any positive improvements that have happened over the last 4 years I've missed?
stuart

Re: 4 years ago…

Post by stuart »

You forgot the arrival of the Overground, finally putting Sydenham on the (Tube) map!

I think we can rightly argue that Sydenham offers the nicest combination of best value housing & transport in zone 3. And it can only get better if we can prise more folks like you out of Brockley.

Welcome Lee & Co. You've already made your mark here.

Stuart
parklife

Post by parklife »

sydenham cinema club at back room at Golden Lion
excellant choice of films
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I was also going to mention a lively local web Forum going from strength to strength :D
multisync

Post by multisync »

Lets keep this forum on a positive note, about the local community, not baby or pre school ,cats etc. but about sydenham in general and its local history or about the roads, shops not the afore mentioned. would like to welcome back Falkor and his history of the area and of course our local historian.It is a whole lot more interesting.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

a lively local web Forum going from strength to strength
Really? I think it's got rather boring recently. I see multisync has just posted with some interesting ideas about that - although I must say anything about shops evokes the same reaction from me as anything about cats seems to do from him/her!
multisync

Post by multisync »

What about something relating to local history Robin I've lived in F.Hill/Sydenham for the past 50 years apart from a few years in the 70's when I was out of the country. I went to eliot bank school and was there for it's first birthday and then went to Sydenham school I remember the good old days of local shopping and little shops not like today with everything revolving around the multiples. Maybe some of the youngsters of today might like hesr about the area in that era!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I would (although I wouldn't say I'm a youngster).
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

But there's lots of interesting stuff about local history on the 'Town Museum and Gallery' forum - including, recently, some fascinating reminiscences about the Wells Park Road area before it was 'redeveloped'. It's in discussions about current issues where I think a bit more liveliness would be welcome. Perhaps we're all getting old and tired!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Well, post there then!

So, anyway, going back to the original post, got anything to say about any positive improvements in the last 4 years in Sydenham?

:-) (Smiles, hopefully)
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Sydenham Community Radio!!!

http://www.sydenhamradio.co.uk

We're on tonight from 7:00 tune in.

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Oops, sorry Gman, I meant to include SR in the original post!
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

The Sydenham and Forest Hill Youth Forum....we're trying to map youth activities, clubs, services, so add them to our website here: www.sfhyouthforum.org.uk