Has Tesco Kirkdale changed your shopping habits?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dickp

Has Tesco Kirkdale changed your shopping habits?

Post by dickp »

Now there is a free cash machine at Kirkdale, I tend to do more shopping up there (barbers, dry cleaners, chippie, food shopping) than I do in Sydenham High Street.

I probably go to the Savacentre a bit less too.

Has anyone else altered their shopping behavior since Tesco arrived?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

an interesting suject Dick, as i was discussing this with my neighbour only yesterday.
We still get our newspapers and bits and pieces from RAM, as per normal, but we use Tescos for stuff we might actually have gone to Sainsburys in Forest Hill for.
RAM has a very loyal customer base and i doubt Tesco will take much of his trade.
Having the free cash machine there is certainly an incentive to do your shopping in the immediate vicinity.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Mrs Barty works quite close to the new Tesco, so we find that she gets some bits and pieces from there instead of me going down to Somerfield for them.

Our main grocery shopping, though, is still done most often at Savacentre, or at Asda in Wallington if Mrs Barty picks me up from work.

So Tesco has taken away from Somerfield, but Savacentre streets ahead still.

We have free cash machines at Lloyds TSB, NatWest and Abbey practically onthe doorstep so this particular aspect doesn't matter to us.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Being a young, single, stunningly handsome man I'm lucky to have milk in the fridge, let alone groceries.

So, no.

I still don't shop much for groceries.

Heheheheh.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No milk, just some VB stubbies in the fridge next to the lazyboy commode in front of the TV eh Lambchops?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

lazyboy commode?!

i thought you europeans just crapped into a few pages of The Sun and threw it out the window? have i been doing it wrong?
multisync

Post by multisync »

Never used to go to tesco at all but now the one in Kirkdale has opened go there to buy my husbands cigarettes because they are cheaper than any of the other local shops.I also buy there fresh bread and croissants and have a look at there weekly offers.I dont buy newspapers in there,but I don't buy them anyway.Popped into Rams yesterday and he was commenting to someone that he would be gone by December!
Back to Tesco,the free cash machine is an incentive,but it's a little tucked away round the side of the shop,I had to ask where it was the other day.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Walked up tonight to the new Tesco Express for bread and milk (and fresh cream eclairs but that was an impulse buy :oops: )
Normally would have popped to Payless for midweek shopping perishables but I thought it would be nice to have a walk this evening and check out the new kid on the block.

Can't justify getting in the car to Savacentre just for bread and milk and i am too knackered after work to walk down there.

We will certainly use that Tescos again.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Have used the new Tescos a couple of times for top-up shopping. Main impact is being able to postpone a trip to the Savacentre for a couple more days (which will probably mean I go to the Savacentre less frequently, but do bigger shops when I eventually go).

So it's probably taking a little bit of money out of Sainsbury's coffers and keeping my car off the road.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I've moved my shopping habits away from afterwork shopping in the Sainsbury Local shops in the City - and the M&S at London Bridge station - to the new Tesco and have reduced my need to go to Sainsbury's in FH or Somerfield on the High St.

Very handy for me as apart from the location being great, I don't often get back to Syd till gone 8pm by which time most other shops are shut.

As an aside, one of my pet hates and a criticism I would have at Rams, which often costs them impulse buy business from me, is that when I do pop in there, quite often prices aren't marked up.