Some interesting postcards I picked up recently...

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Some interesting postcards I picked up recently...

Post by Falkor »

If you would like to see any in higher res then let me know, although they're all probably common views; which one, if any, do you think might be rare? Which one do you think cost me the most money? :D

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Great pictures. I bet the one of Crystal palace from the air was the most expensive.
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Crooked Billet?
never seen a view like that before
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

The CP from the air was only a couple of squid! I was suprised to get it at this price, as the Upper Norwood Library is sold out of them.

3 Lewisham is quite rare (not in any of my books) as it shows the high street stream on the left. I'm so fascinated by that even though it can't be seen properly...

5 Crystal Palace shows the Dancing Stage at the end of the North Wing!!! No jokes... After the North Wing got blown over in 1861 they converted the terminal tower foundations into the stage. Average priced postcard.

Crooked Billet - somebody else said they never seen that before, but I think it's fairly common and even came across two of them... My one was in the best condition and cost £2 extra.

4 Catford--this is the most expensive one!!!!! The geezer wanted £15 for this of course I got it cheaper. It's one of about 3 good views to show the early 18C shops to the right of the Black Horse & Harrow pub--part of old Rushey Green--no view will show them right the way up to the Sangley Road and Bromley Road junction.

Try this bunch... there were two postcards being the most expensive, priced @ £10 each; can you guess which ones? :D

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What is the international guest house?

Where was it (is it still around?).

Was it replaced by a 'better building'?

Was this the most expensive postcard?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

leenewham wrote:What is the international guest house?
This probably answers your question best:
This is from an advertising leaflet, probably of the 1930s. The house was built in the 1850s or '60s. It became the International Hostel in 1927. During WW2 the hostel closed, and the house was demolished after the war. Modern housing now covers the site.
Where was it (is it still around?).
It was on the corner of Rock Hills, on the Dulwich side of Sydenham Hill, midway between the Dulwich Wood House and Westwood Hill roundabout.
Was it replaced by a 'better building'?
"Better building" is a matter of opinion, although I know the houses are well-regarded in some quarters.
Was this the most expensive postcard?
I would think not; because of its commercial use postcards of this building crop up fairly regularly. There are some more pictures of the house [here]
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Falkor, do you use Delcampe for postcards?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

The 2nd Crystal Palace picture (South Transept entrance) and the 2nd Catford trams picture were the most expensive.

Steve has provided some excellent material re: Hitherwood! That postcard only cost me £2.50. Apparently, one of the trees still suvives. Hey, Steve, have you got any photos or anything for Beechgrove, including the outbuilding?

Kenny, I never heard of that name before.
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Falkor, I`m a keen postard collector of parts of France.
I use a site Delcampe, based in Belgium which is much better than ebay.

I`m logged into the french side of it, and there are, on the french site some 57 cards of the Crystal Palace, some of the fairgrounds etc. rom about 2 euros

Get into Delcampe via google
[ I could not seem to find a PM facility here]
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Interesting site; thanks for informing me! Unfortunately, all the Crystal Palace views seem uninteresting to me. Most that appear on Ebay are also fairly common, except for stereocards. It's useful to know these sites anyway, as the odd occasional rare view of Sydenham does pop up from time to time on Ebay.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Here's a rare view on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereoview-UK-5-Syd ... dZViewItem

Anyone know where this is taken from?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sorry Falkor, I think I just bid against you...Are you bidding, if so I will leave it alone! I am a bit obsessed like you are (so someone once told me) about CP.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It's alright mate... Unless the distant view was taken from Mill Gardens or somewhere closeby I wouldn't be bidding. I think it's taken from Norwood somewhere. Bring on a close-up interior view of the Assyrian Court, Grand Central Walkway at the Thicket Road end or Engine houses then I might bid! :wink:
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Did you log in to delcampe.fr not delcampe uk?