Yet another new advert board for the high street.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
kster

Yet another new advert board for the high street.

Post by kster »

Strange that when the high street is supposed to be undergoing a redevelopment to clear much of the clutter on the high street, that there is a new planning notice to put up yet another advertise board on the pavement.

The details are at http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=52222 I guess there isn’t the demand for payphones anymore so BT are putting up these things that take up half the pavement.

If you don’t want to see more adverts on the high street you have until 14th Dec to lodge an objection.
caseyref

Post by caseyref »

No I think you have read the planning permission wrong they want to replace the existing phones boxes near to superdrugs and replace them with a telephone with a advert board behind. I myself have no problem with them actully they look more modern then them phone boxes, which occasionally get smashed and the majority of the time smell.
kster

Post by kster »

No I haven’t read it wrong, I realise that they are replacing an existing box. They have already replaced one outside Lidl and you will notice that they are considerably wider than a standard telephone box. There was a lot of talk at the previous high street consultation about returning the pavement to pedestrians and getting rid of unnecessary street furniture. Having loads of superfluous phone boxes is bad enough, but I don’t really want to have garish advertising boards every 50 yards down the high street.

Given that everyone has a mobile these days, these payphones aren’t likely to be making money without this additional advertising revenue. If they don’t get that revenue then hopefully they will remove a few of the unnecessary phone boxes to save costs.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I think you will find that it is a statutory obligation for BT to provide phone boxes. From what I understand they make huge losses on them and wouldn't provide them if they didn't have to. The advertising revenue is likely a drop in the ocean to what it costs in mainitainence etc....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Can't they put one of the classic red phoneboxes there instead? I thought Lewisham council were supposed to be improving the streetscape?

At the very least turn the phone 90% so it faces the road and doesn't block people walking down the pavement.

I think these 'phone boxes' are pretty ugly. Whatever happened to good design? Why can't we make our streets look individual and different from one another? It is possible.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

As far as I am aware Lewisham has a 20 year contract (dont know when it was signed or whether there is any break clause) with DeCeaux for stand alone advert units on the high street, which now include the wider telephone units which are DDA compliant.

The Sydenham Community Regeneration Partnership meeting on Thursday will be where the draft plans for improving the pedestrian environment in Sydenham Road will be unveiled and it will be interesting to hear what the designers think about the number of phone boxes cluttering Sydenham Road and whether anything can be done about reducing their number. 7 pm at the Naborhood Centre (next to the Post office) and open to anyone interested in the future of Sydenham.