Empty shops on the high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonekt

Empty shops on the high street

Post by jonekt »

Something like this would be good in the empty shops in Sydenham. Looks like there is funding for it too. Wonder if we would be eligible?

http://willesdenwindows.com

Any other ideas to fill the empty shops?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Re: Empty shops on the high street

Post by leenewham »

Yes, this was rather good. It was part of the Outer London Fund which we are advisors for. They got different artists to do each window. The pilot in particular was brilliant.

I met with Brent Council and the architect and design company who were behind it. If anyone is willing to find out about who owns the empty shops (which is half the battle) and can get funding (the other half of the battle) I can find out more about the scheme and pass on details if someone pm's me.

There is something happening behind the scenes regarding empty units which I've kept quiet as it's slightly sensitive. I will divulge on this forum if it progresses any further.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Also found this too..

www.towncentred.com/ideas-1

multisync

Post by multisync »

We could really do with a good deli!!!!.
Does anyone have any ideas.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

multisync wrote:could really do with a good deli!!!!.
Does anyone have any ideas.
You could open a deli ?
simon

Post by simon »

I've been thinking about the deli idea for some time and think the problem is; what would it sell that cannot be bought elsewhere in Sydenham? With the French bakers and Slatters the bread/pastry market looks pretty well sewn up. Shops like PFC, of which there are a few, have a wide selection of continental delicacies, stuffed olives and the like. Cheeses and hams spring to mind but Sainsburys has a good selection from all over the world. There is a deli in Dulwich village but it also serves as a cafe, as does the small cheese shop and there are more than enough cafes in Sydenham. Given the overheads and stock costs, coupled with the fact that much of the stock is perishable, I think it would be a very brave retailer with very strong usp that would take a punt on opening in Sydenham.
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

A deli would be lovely but I see your point. Blue Mountain sell bread now too. I've never been in PFC but will give it a try. Would be nice to have a deli selling bread, ham, cheese, olives, chocolates and wine near the station - I can dream...

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Making it look like a deli and calling it a deli will make a difference.

In reality most supermarkets are the same. You can buy the same stuff in PFC, Tesco, Waitrose, Sainbury's, Istanbul, Costcutter, The Co-operative, Morrisons, M&S, Asda etc. You can buy cakes and bread in The Cake Store aka Slatters (what is it's real name?) just like you can at Tesco, Sainbury's and The Cooperative across the road but they have massive cues.

Most brands know that most people buy emotive purchases. Most small high street shops don't.

For an innovative retailer, just like the ones doing well in Brockley (which had 2) and Crystal Palace, I'm sure a well designed, well run, Friendly, sensibly priced deli would be an asset to the high street.

It works for Billings, despite the proximity of the supermarkets and another butcher in the high street.

Look at the comments after I posted the deli mock up on the forum a few years ago:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 9&start=40

http://whatifsydenham.wordpress.com/200 ... -chemists/

http://whatifsydenham.wordpress.com/201 ... -sydenham/
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Does anyone know if Sydenham has applied for the portis fund? Just seen it on BBC news.

louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Yes they have. I think the application is being submitted today. Its a joint Sydenham, Forest Hill and Kirkdale Village bid.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Video coming soon:
[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo2JVOKN1p4[/youtubes]

It would be helpful if people made lots of positive comments on the You tube link. All the bids are being posted on youtube. No-one is using the comments as yet to help show support which I presume is one reason why bids have been asked to posted to the site. Some have even suspended comments!

But only positive comments please! Sarcastic, negative or 'why bother comments' basically mean you don't want us to get any help!!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

When will the video be available to comment?

I suggest everyone then tweets, emails and communicates this out so we can get some real local support behind it.

Cheers

G-Man

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's up there now.

I agree, I"ve tweeted and facebooked it.

This is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoDqF2uioI
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Excellent video - a big thank you to all concerned.

I notice it had 210 views but only 13 'likes' (14 now!) and three comments. We need to get behind this bid - everyone here who has ever bemoaned the slow pace of progress around here needs to go watch the video and support it.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I have linked it to my FB account :)