Calling all Horse Racing Experts....

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mummycat

Calling all Horse Racing Experts....

Post by mummycat »

I'm going to Ascot tomorrow and I noticed that in the 5:25, there's a horse running called Mayoman and I want to back it!

http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/cards ... &big_race=

Does anyone know if this horse/jockey is any good?
How much would you put on it?

I want to put £10 on it to be placed...
simon

Re: Calling all Horse Racing Experts....

Post by simon »

Hi Mummycat,
Hope you get this before you go.
More of a dogs man these days but a look at the race suggests he’s well worth a bet.
Mayoman is a five year old gelding who is in the form of his life, as his Redcar win last time out testifies. He showed he couldn’t stay six furlongs when beaten over six in his race before, but in the race prior to that, under today’s jockey and over five furlongs, he was impressive.
The race is an Apprentice Handicap and Neil Farley is as good as any of the youngsters. He rode Mayoman to victory at Thirsk and knows the horse. Because it’s at Ascot the prize money’s bigger than anything the horse has run for before and it looks as if he’s been laid out for this race: after his Thirsk win the trainer put him over an unsuitable distance so as to avoid a weight penalty for this race and he led for five furlongs, tomorrows distance, and faded in the final furlong.
The middle draw is means that he can pick the best ground, which should be apparent by the last race.
He would well justify second favouritism at around 11/2 as the Standard suggests and as it is a 17 runner handicap you get ¼ the odds the first four places. £5 each way sounds ok, if a little conservative! If you’re ahead after the other races, lump on to win.
Elsewhere on the card I think Dream Catcher in 4.15 should run well at a big price.
Have a great day, the weather sounds like it should be just right for Ascot in Autumn.
Simon
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
simon

Post by simon »

I know Emma! Nothing more frustrating than to spend a load of time sorting one out and its doesn't even run :roll:
I imagine Dream Catcher was outclassed, was always an audacious tip.
Came out in front though so sounds like you a good day.
Do your kids fancy any dogs at Wimbledon tonight?
bertie

Post by bertie »

Emma that just about sums horse racing up. I used to work in Ladbrokes and day-in-day-out the form experts would stake silly money based on the going, the form, the jockey etc. only to see their horse come nowhere. The majority of people who got paid were enthusiasts who liked a name or have a lucky number...it really is uncanny how often this works out more and I'm not surprised at all to see your children were the most prolific tipsters.

My favourite horse is called Dusty Carpet...he's never been beaten...
mummycat

Post by mummycat »