Increased police presence

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
boon

Increased police presence

Post by boon »

I was walking to the station this evening around 7.30pm, and on my way down Border Road, going toward Lawrie Park Road, I passed two police officers out on a foot patrol. I was quite pleasantly surprised by this, as you can imagine. I've seen a fair number more police in the area recently - they must be cracking down on the problems that have been occurring around Crystal Palace Park and Chulsa Estate.

A shame that we need more police, but they're certainly most welcome!
sean

Post by sean »

On Thursday 10 July 2008, a heavily pregnant woman was sexually assaulted in her own home in Penge. The incident was broadcast on Crimewatch this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/cases/2 ... ndex.shtml

For crime reconstruction, view this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/chec ... man_attack?
PLEASE NOTE: The video contains scenes that some people may find disturbing.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Perhaps not on the same thought stream as your good self, Boon, but I was dismayed to see a very, very large police presence at London Bridge station tonight (c2300). It appeared that they had cordoned off the entire access to platforms 1-6 from street level and were hanging around on these platforms but for what??!
sean

Post by sean »

Maybe they are enforcing the new rules about sugar: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7669029.stm
boon

Post by boon »

Well, you guys are certainly quite a bring-down. :P
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Gaz wrote:It appeared that they had cordoned off the entire access to platforms 1-6 from street level and were hanging around on these platforms but for what??!
well, I'd hazzard a guess that some crime-related incident had occured :roll:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

bensonby wrote:
Gaz wrote:It appeared that they had cordoned off the entire access to platforms 1-6 from street level and were hanging around on these platforms but for what??!
Erm, maybe - couldn't have been that serious though as there were lots of pretend cops there... :shock: :)
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Gaz wrote:
bensonby wrote:
Erm, maybe - couldn't have been that serious though as there were lots of pretend cops there... :shock: :)
The Specials always seemed to be driving around London Bridge.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4

Especially after about a minute they seem to mainly be around the tunnel at Shand Street, loitering with intent.

*BOOM*

(I shot myself as that's the second time I've cracked that poor joke)
poppy

police

Post by poppy »

Is the Chulsa estate rough then. It looks very well kept to me....
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I don't know, I've never ventured there. Best to ask Boon as he seemed to hint that it was and you've clearly inferred that meaning also.

Would be interesting to see if that is the point he's making especially as the way he described his route he either lives on it or very, very close to it. If he doesn't live on the actual estate then he must live on CPP Road or Border Road else he wouldn't have been travelling that way to the station.

Frank Columbo
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I've noticed an increase in the number of police on foot in my area.

It's good.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

I thoroughly welcome the increased police presence in Sydenham. And I think our Safer Neighbourhood team are doing a fab (tough) job. Shame we need it but that's the reality of living in London I guess. There do seem to be a number of "hooded groups" of youths on bikes cycling aimlessly around the residential roads off the high street. It can appear slightly unnerving if you're a woman walking on your own in the dark (I'm talking about 4pm on a Saturday) although they probably mean no harm - I think it's the sheer numbers of them that can appear menacing sometimes and the fact that I could not identify any of them should anything happen.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

More Police always welcome .
I seem to recall about 3 to 4 months ago one person who contributes to this site had been mugged near Chulsa Estate.
I think Mugging should be refered to as Criminal Assault , as that is what it is.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Eagle wrote:More Police always welcome .
I seem to recall about 3 to 4 months ago one person who contributes to this site had been mugged near Chulsa Estate.
I think Mugging should be refered to as Criminal Assault , as that is what it is.

Mugging is Robbery which is (in simple terms) defined as "theft with force/violence" (s.8 theft act 1968) therefore it counts as an assault :wink:

In fact its a more serious offence than common assault as it is indictable and carries a (maximum) penalty of life imprisonment.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for the explanation Bensonby.

It is nice to know muggers can get life imprisonment . I would imagine the percentage who do would be under 1% but I hope I am wrong. Would be nice if all muggers gor life, it is an awful crime.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

lambchops wrote:I've noticed an increase in the number of police on foot in my area.

It's good.
I agree. But out of interest why are police on foot a good thing in your (or anyone else's) opionion?

Surely if the police were in cars then they could get to incidents quicker? Rather than having to walk/run to the scene of a crime. Surely CCTV could (and can) direct police to suspicious characters/behaviour and to incidents occuring? A police officer on foot is only really good for the small area he occupies at any one time isn't he?

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but this is an issue I'm particularly interested in...
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

having police on foot feels better.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Having foot police is about crime prevention, rather than reaction. Not only does it give the community a more secure feeling, it gives the police an opportunity to interact more. (statistics may prove me wrong on these points, but this is a personal perspective). It should also reduce the amount of general anti-social behaviour (riding bikes on pavements, drunks etc), but again statistics may prove me wrong and also leads to the deabate about "why aren't the police out solving real crimes?"
Ali B