local scouts

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SydenhamHillAndy

local scouts

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help? Several friends in Beckenham have told me how much their 5 yr old girls love Rainbows (pre-Brownies). I understand the boys' equivalent is Beavers (I know, I know). Does anyone know if there is a group locally? (I'm on Sydenham Hill, as close to Forest Hill as Sydenham.)

Thanks for any help!
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, A Beavers Pack (15th Sydenham) (for both boys and girls) meet on a Tuesday at Our Lady and St Philip Neri Church Hall, 208 Sydenham Rd, at 6.30, during school term. Both of my two joined, one is now at cubs and the other at scouts.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

Probably the most succesful group in the area is the 2nd Sydenham Beavers group for boys and girls aged 6-8. The Beavers meet at St Michael's church hall, Champion crescent SE26 (next to St Michaels school) If anyone is interested in joining Beavers, Cubs or scouts, please PM me.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I know it is not beaver's, but there is a cub group that meets at St Stephens next to Sydenham Hill station on Thursdays and a Scout Group that meets at The Fort (scout center) at the top of Grange Lane on Thursdays. Both at 1830hrs.

The fort is great though because it is outside space and you can light fires, cook, and run around the woods all you like.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

scott.l.hamilton wrote:I know it is not beaver's, but there is a cub group that meets at St Stephens next to Sydenham Hill station on Thursdays and a Scout Group that meets at The Fort (scout center) at the top of Grange Lane on Thursdays. Both at 1830hrs.

The fort is great though because it is outside space and you can light fires, cook, and run around the woods all you like.

I was going to mention this group (7th Camberwell/Dulwich) myself, as I was involved with them for many years as a cub, scout and leader.

I don't know if it's still true, but they had the rather unusual distinction of having their scarves made for them in a particular shade of blue that was thought to be unique in the World.

Glad to know they're still in existance.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

There are three Scout groups in Sydenham, the 2nd, 9th and 15th. If anyone is interested in joining please PM me and I will put you in touch with the relevant group. Scouting is open to boys and girls from 6-25. Likewise if anyone is interested in joining as a leader/helper PM me and I will be able to advise on the process.