Sainsburys

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
multisync

Sainsburys

Post by multisync »

I would urge people to check there till receipts when shopping in Sainsbury.On two occasions in the last month i have been overcharged to the tune of £6.I noticed and returned to the store,but how many people possibly pensioners do not.Imean to say £12 is a lot for most people and adds to Sainsburys profits!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Take your receipt back and complain, if that doesn't help write to head office:

Sainsbury's
Where is their head office?
J Sainsbury plc
33 Holborn
London
EC1 N2HT

They take these things very seriously and are afraid of the bad press. It is probably a genuine mistake. They do not do this on purpose!
multisync

Post by multisync »

Yes I returned to the store and was refunded my£6 .I was initially asked to return with the item as well,which happened to be a box of 24 cans of beer.But I told them I could only bring the receipt,as it meant two uncalled for bus journeys for me.I have also e-mailed head office as it is not the only time its happened.I never have this problem in Lidl and the check out girls are much quicker.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Also, check the Best Before dates on items bought there. The Savacentre is notorious for not checking shelf items regularly - one week I had three items in my shopping, including eggs (and I was pregnant!). My family also suffered food poisoning from eating out of date fresh pasta bought there.

I write to the head office a couple of times a year to complain, sometimes I get vouchers. Once I only had 7 crumpets instead of 8 in a pack! Somebody had used plenty of cardboard to pad it out to look like it was full!

Don't let the big stores deceive you.....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have designed packaging for most supermarkets over the 16 years which is why I am writing this. The suppliers who make Sainsbury's own brand goods are the same that supply much of the other supermarkets including M&S, Waitrose, Aldi, Asda etc, it's really out of Sainbury's hands if individual items are faulty.

Supermarkets don't make any of their own products (a lot of brands don't either, they are made by manufacturing companies under license) so I suggest you have been very unlucky.

As for out of date items, that's down to VERY poor store management and you SHOULD complain. If you see an item tha is out of date you should report it. There is no excuse for sloppy store management like that.

Definately write to head office if you have problems with a particular store as they do look into it and the manager can be brought to account.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I have also often been overcharged in Sydenham Sainsburys. I make a point now of checking my receipt before I leave the store because if it's a small amount I can't be bothered to go back again once I'm home. I just get annoyed instead. Have queued up for a refeund on several occasions. Shoddy. I generally try and use shops in the high street whenever possible.
lbere

Post by lbere »

I stopped using Sainsburys at Bell Green due to the condition of the so called 'fresh fruit and veg' I had enough of picking up fruit etc to buy it to find that it was rotten and falling apart in your hand. The last time a rotten satuma was the final straw. I now go to Tesco at Elmers End, Im luck enough to have car so can travel. The fruit and veg is lovely and fresh at Tesco's.
tommynhs

Post by tommynhs »

lbere wrote: The fruit and veg is lovely and fresh at Tesco's.
probably because it's pumped full of pesticide and radiation and then shrink wrapped!!!

why not try fresh and fruity on the high street? they always seem to have a good selection and the people who work there / run it seem very nice :D
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

'There is no excuse for sloppy store management like that. '

I keep meaning to write to Sainsbury's head office about the state of our Sainsbury's, it seems to me to be very poorly managed. I am originally from Torbay, and my local Sainsbury's provides such a good shopping experience, always well-stocked, clean, and helpful staff- feels along the lines of a Waitrose.

You'd think being a 'hypermarket' the Sydenham one should set an example, but it's a disgrace- the milk aisle always smells sour and unclean, many things are on the wrong shelves, or not there at all. When i moved to Sydenham last December, I saw a vacuum cleaner on display there that I was going to buy, they didn't have it in stock, so i thought i would try again on my next visit, but 6 months later, they still never had one in! Ditto with an ironing board. And for the last 4 weeks or so I have been trying to buy an extension lead and those shelves are still completely empty!

I have also on two occasions seen birds flying around in the store! I'm sure that Health and Safety would have something to say about that.

It's just generally a messy store and really needs someone to come in and sort it out.

Now i just have to get round to writing to head office!
user100

Post by user100 »

use this link if you want to complain to head office

http://tinyurl.com/3d767d

or this one if you don't trust me:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3d767d

or if you are really distrustful and like long URLs:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/templates/B ... RMODE=Publ
ished&NRNODEGUID=%7b322A772F-4CA4-45A6-8079-5E23225B1088
%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2ffurniture%2fcontactus%2fcontactus%2
ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes I agree normally Sainsburys are pretty good (I'm moving to Sydenham soon, but currently live in Brockley and go to the huge Sainsburys in New Cross Gate which is very very good). I still prefer waitrose though...i'd rather have them than Somerfield.
hazy

Post by hazy »

as a fellow waitrose afficiado - waitrose at beckenham junction is a 5-10 mins drive from sydenham, if you drive ...
jackie

Sainsbury's

Post by jackie »

How about trying Somerfield's? I've just been told by one of the staff that they have a new manager. The stock seems to look a bit more interesting than it did a while ago [they seem to have reintroduced their free range chicken] and the more of us who frequent the store the better it will [hopefully] become.

Maybe we could then encourage them to revamp their frontage as they did in East Dulwich and even tidy up the back of the store!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Get everyone to pressure them, its the only way that it will have an impact.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Pocketpip, you are so right, the milk aisle turns my stomach.

I think someone said to me at some stage that the birds are 'protected' so cannot be killed. The store is unclean and badly kept. Makes you wonder what else is going amiss in the store. On lots of occasions, I have put 'fresh food' back on the shelves as the sell by date has passed, Im fed up off pointing it out to staff who are just not interested. That is why I changed my store. Sommerfields, I find, has a poor selection of choice.

By the way, if I am in the High Street, I dobuy my fruit and veg from the lovely shop who owners are fab people.
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

I would love to do all my shopping at Waitrose but unfortunately can't afford to!

I have tried Somerfield before but there's just so little choice it tends to be a last resort- and again it's in a bit of a state- however, maybe it will pick up under new management.

We are lucky to have all the places selling fresh fruit and veg on the high street (although i'm never too keen on the things that are out by the road), i tend to get fruit and veg in berwick st market as it's close to work, and have really recently discovered the butchers nr. sainsburys which has lovely local meats.
Still, sainsbury's is useful for all those other bits, and needs to pull it's socks up!
pocketpip

Sainsburys still not up to scratch

Post by pocketpip »

Does anyone feel that despite the extensive refurbishment of our Sainsburys, it is still not up to scratch? We are in there regularly, and I don;t think I have ever been in at a time when the shelves are properly stocked, it always looks like it has just been ransacked! Has anyone ever seen anyone in there doing shelf stacking? I used to work at a Sainsburys in Devon and the shelves were being constantly re-stocked, day and night. There seem to be plenty of people fulfilling online shopping orders, but no-one replenishing the shelves. I have also noticed their empty promises about not providing bags unless you ask for them, they still have them on the end of nearly every checkout- how is that supposed to encourage people to bring their own bags?
I intend to write to head office about the state of this 'hypermarket' but am interested to hear the views of anyone else on this.
Also one more moan (!) - has anyone else bought into their 'milkbag' scheme only to find that there are plenty of receptacles but NEVER any semi-skimmed milk in there?!
Greg Whitehead

Re: Sainsburys still not up to scratch

Post by Greg Whitehead »

pocketpip wrote:Does anyone feel that despite the extensive refurbishment of our Sainsburys, it is still not up to scratch? We are in there regularly, and I don;t think I have ever been in at a time when the shelves are properly stocked, it always looks like it has just been ransacked! Has anyone ever seen anyone in there doing shelf stacking? I used to work at a Sainsburys in Devon and the shelves were being constantly re-stocked, day and night. There seem to be plenty of people fulfilling online shopping orders, but no-one replenishing the shelves. I have also noticed their empty promises about not providing bags unless you ask for them, they still have them on the end of nearly every checkout- how is that supposed to encourage people to bring their own bags?
I intend to write to head office about the state of this 'hypermarket' but am interested to hear the views of anyone else on this.
Also one more moan (!) - has anyone else bought into their 'milkbag' scheme only to find that there are plenty of receptacles but NEVER any semi-skimmed milk in there?!
I tend to buy very little from Sainsbury's and only go in there if I cannot be bothered with the walk to Waitrose, which is rare. I buy very few items and carry them away in my Waitrose bag-for-life. Yet every time I get asked if I would like some help to pack my bag.

Has anyone ever said yes to that request? One day I am going to say yes and watch all the people in the queue behind me jump for joy whilst they wait for some poor student to come and pack away my 4 items for me!

Also, where have the 'basket only' aisles gone? That store is a joke. There's never any Organic semi-skimmed milk.
natbeuk

Re: Sainsburys still not up to scratch

Post by natbeuk »

[quote="pocketpip"]I have also noticed their empty promises about not providing bags unless you ask for them, they still have them on the end of nearly every checkout- how is that supposed to encourage people to bring their own bags?
[quote]

Sainsbury's are really bad at this generally. I've shopped in several and all have bags waiting to be used, or they automatically pull a handful out every time a customer goes through. My guess is that the staff on the tills do this for an easy life - I was in an Asda recently and the girl on the till explained why there were no bags out to the woman in front of me. This woman (who would've been about 75 or more and clearly very old school in her thinking) launched into a tirade about how ridiculous that was, etc etc etc, and the poor checkout girl just had to sit and take it. However Asda seem to have stuck to their guns (near my work at least), while Sainsbury's management really aren't pushing it. It's pathetic, IMHO!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I haven't been in there for years, but my mother was charges £10 for a loaf of bread in there some years ago!! - They had stuck the wrong label on it and it had scanned through as a another item, I only noticed a couple of days later when looking at the label by chance! Fortunately she still had the receipt.