Unsolved mystery for Tulse Hill Terry!

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Unsolved mystery for Tulse Hill Terry!

Post by Falkor »

Perhaps Terry can finally solve it? :D Over to you, mate... :wink:

Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Is there a mystery?

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It all goes back to 7th of November, 2006...
By the way, Falkor, I'm not sure about a fountain, but Stuart's link has a picture of Mercury's foot hovering above a head which I take to represent the west wind. The whole thing (I have been told variously that the upper part was simply stolen, or came down in the 1987 hurricane and disappeared) was a copy (many such copies were made) of an Italian original. In Jan Piggott's book, Palace of the People, on page 151, is a "cascade temple" with an identical version of Giambologna's Mercury on top. So, Falkor, a question for you. Could you use your sources to find out when these temples were demolished, and is there any possibility that the remains in the front of the Shenewood flats is another surviving remnant from the Crystal Palace?
Just need to get the sources and fingerprints ready for Terry before we pass over the case to him... In fact, we better investigate Terry first! For starters, I'm sure he's using a false name... secondly, I would like to check out his back garden to see if he has a statue that looks like the one above!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Oh yes, thanks... I'd forgotten about that. He could be a prime suspect.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

I want to see my lawyer!

As seem in the link to Falkor's thread the statues of Mercury had disappeared from atop the water temples, before they were finally demolished themselves.

Did the Crystal Palace Company sell them them off? I haven't found trace of them elsewhere. They would have been available retail by the 1890's, I would have thought.

Where did the Triton fountain, by John Bell and Blashfield appear from? It's listed as being in the North Tower Gardens, the Chelmski website had a reference to FOUR being supplied to the Crystal Palace, and an example [perhaps from the Palace] is now outside a hospital.

Curiouser and curiouser!