New Coffee Shop in Sydenham Station Approach!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
coffeeking

New Coffee Shop in Sydenham Station Approach!

Post by coffeeking »

Hi! I could become Sydenham's answer to Cafe Nero! I am considering opening a coffee shop in Station Approach selling fantastic coffe/tea/hot chocolate/mocha and smoothies & juices. For the hungry commuters we would serve muffins, pre-packed sandwiches and possibly other snacks such as hummus, olives & a variety of breads. How many of you out there would be interested in this and would you support this idea? Regards - look forward to hearing from you! CK
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I definately would! At the moment I buy my coffee 'the other end' of my commute - which is pretty much a grande skinny latte and skinny peach and rasberry muffin - when I total up how much Starbucks gets that is certainly something I would much prefer to be spending supporting a local buisness in Sydenham.

The Innocent Smoothies you can also pick up are great too and I usually have them as a mid morning snack. Smoothies, juices, muffins and lovely sandwiches to take away or eat in would be great.

Is this new venture going to be in the old Gym? it would be good if it had big comfy sofas and a place you could meet up with friends (plus I bet you'll get a lot of the people in the hairdressers and flats above as regulars too).

The Dolphin seems to be doing really well in Sydenham - pitching at the right level of relaxed and comfortable but also with good & well priced food (obviously this is a pub and not a coffee shop/ juice bar- but it may be a good place to start to get an idea of what works and tap into a market which people in Sydenham are crying out for).

Good luck!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Go for it, coffeeking! I would certainly make use of it.

I agree with jonekt that it would be good if it was a place where you could meet up with friends, as well as being a place for commuters to grab a coffee on the way to work.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

This sounds absolutely brilliant! I think though it would be great if you also went for the evening market - as I'm sure there is a demand for a place to eat out at this end of the high street. The Dolphin and Gurkhas have got the other end covered, but the top end could do with a bistro-style restaurant - perhaps something like Au Provencal next to Herne Hill station. As Biscuitman has mentioned, the Dolphin is leading the way and has shown that an imaginative business venture can succeed in Sydenham - go for it!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Good luck CK. Yes you've only got to look at the new Dolphin to see a) the sort of clientel that are highly likely to be your 'cafe culture/coffee consuming' target audience b) the general changing demographic of Sydenham (East Dulwich over-spill) that, again, may well provied the market you're looking for.

You must consider nice weekend breakfasts as well - I personally don't think you can beat a good old greasy spoon once in a while - but I wish we had the 'upmarket' alternative as well so I could take my girlfriend. It's usually just me, hungover, Full Monty and a coke!!! The one in Crystal Palace - is it Dalami's or something similar ? seems to be consistently very busy. I'm sure many of us in Sydenham can't always face the hike up to CP and crave something in OUR OWN up and coming high street.

Mine's a latte - go for it.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

As part of the Sydenham Road pedestrian improvements - see elsewhere on this Forum - it is likely that Station Approach, currently leased to Network Rail, will be returned to Lewisham Council and upgraded to the benefit of both local residents and retailers alike.

You will have noted from this Forum that local residents have been looking for somone to open an upmarket coffee shop and Station Approach would seem to be a most suitable location. An independent entrepreneur providing for an identified need would be most welcome in our midst!

As others have said - go for it, CK, and the best of luck with this venture!
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Also pastries and crossiants would be good too to add to the menu too. I think that coupled with being able to pay by card (I never have cash on me in the mornings and it is great Starbucks takes switch) you should certainly catch the commuters (even the cashless lazy ones running for the train in the mornings!)
AliT

Post by AliT »

Go for it CoffeeKing! There's a real need for something like that round here, especially now that I hear sweet little Zucker is closing... The only problem with Zucker was the size; so many people said they'd go in but find nowhere to sit. So if you can get into a larger space you'll have a full complement of commuters, mums with buggies during the day and hangover breakfasters looking for tasty food over the paper at weekends. Check out Domalis in Crystal Palace - nice laid back atmosphere, mixed seating, good (veggie) menu, reasonably priced and always always rammed. Good luck.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Good luck CoffeeKing. Perhaps I can add a word for possibly the majority of Sydenhamites who spare themselves of the daily pleasures of Southern Rail. When you have disposed of fast and furious drinks & snacks between 7 and 9 - then business is going to be dependent on us seeing your place as a destination in its own right rather than as a passage to hell (sorry LB).

Not fast and furious, but relaxed and comfortable. Settees, papers, ambience and, if you want to make money, some extremely desireable high margin goodies. The success of a coffee bar near my other home has been built on disgustingly obscene chocalaty things balanced by organic carrot fuelled goodness. Whether you give in to temptation or not, the owner cleans up! And as a source have you thought of some sort of partnership with Slatters/TheCakeStore as a supplier?

Sort of keeps in all in Sydenham. Oh and complementing the amazing Sema´s would fufil many of our snacking needs without having to brave the crossing of Newlands Park Road.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

A large part of making a coffee shop in Station Approach attractive to both commuters and non-commuting locals is the "tidying up" of the road itself and making the area attractive. The chances of running a successful coffee shop would then be greatly enhanced.

Hopefully, both the Living Streets scheme and the money coming when TFL take over Sydenham Station will transform this area into a place where people will want to loiter.

No one wants to sit outside a cafe nose-to-nose with parked cars. A major improvement would be to ban parking in the street with only two short-term parking spaces for the taxi company and dropping off passengers at the station, then resurface the street all on one level. People walking to and from the station could then do so without dodging parked cars or walking from one level to the next.

This would, of course, infuriate the car lobby. But this area should be for accessing the station on foot (or dropping off passsengers).

At the moment, I wouldn't open a business like a cafe in Station Approach unless I had some guarantee that this sort of transformation was going to take place.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

nasaroc wrote:This would, of course, infuriate the car lobby. But this area should be for accessing the station on foot (or dropping off passsengers).
Not this bit of the car lobby Nasaroc! Being actually able to get down in safety to collect or pick up would be wonderful. Instead we have to run the gauntlet of blind mad commuters (an effect of spending too much time in those Southern Sardine Cans?) in the road, wing mirrors and ritual game of chicken at the Sydenham Road junction.

Getting rid of those parked cars is the key. Everybody else benefits. Even the parked car owners might also benefit if we could find them an alternate place like the Greyhound car park or that area of land shortly to be vacated by the Royal Mail Delivery Office in Silverdale.

Can´t be too difficult to buy out the dozen or so owners?
kster

Post by kster »

In addition to getting a juice on my way to the station on a commuting day, as someone who does a fair bit of working from home, I'd love a place to take a break and read the paper over a morning coffee.

I know that Mrs Kster and other mums have long been moaning about not having a suitable place to meet up for a morning or afternoon get together. There is business to be had from that market during the day – especially if you have a few high chairs and the holy grail of a baby change facility.

If you have already done so, check out the thread “Your opinion on a new healthy Juice/Coffee Bar in Forest Hill”, it does go off topic in parts but it also contains comments from the owners of the site.

I partly disagree with nasaroc’s comments. I agree that the proposed improvement to the high street area and in particular Station Approach would make the venture even more attractive with outdoor seating etc. However, I can’t see that the success would be reliant on that, the vast majority of business would be either take away (for commuters) or to sit inside. A few extra people sitting outside in the summer months would be great for the customers and provide extra business, but it isn’t going to make the world of difference to the profitability of the place.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

I wish anyone well filling an empty shop with anything other than a pound shop or estate agent. But most posters here seem to want a relaxing coffee lounge, while coffeeking seemed to be after commuters who don't want to stop even to wait for a sandwich to be made. Is this because you are considering the cab office?
I think a coffee shop will only work if it's in the former gym with space enough to cater for groups, solo customers reading books and parents, as kster says. You can get sandwiches and coffee in Slatters, but it's not relaxing being stuck on a stool in the window. Milano and Zucker are too small.
I go to Chef's Delight with my children sometimes and it's friendly enough and popular. But how I wish there was somewhere where smoking was banned and healthier and more modern options were available. I commute every day but would not use a Benjy's style takeaway shop. (Eating and drinking on public transport, or in the street, is for people who have no manners. When did it become OK?)

I love the idea of Station Approach having a pavement cafe. Parking should be banned. Don't the flats have a huge car park at the back already?
There are some ugly toilets opposite. Imagine if they were knocked down and a roped-off terrace built on that side of the road. What a welcome to Sydenham that would be.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I agree, I would only use the coffee shop (even when commuting) if it was a proper coffee shop.

I love the fact that in The Dolphin you get a real sense of community (the amount of people who have told us of a spare chair, or that they'll be leaving in a minute, or the staff saying bye when you leave - it is so unlike the majority of places in London).

For me I would buy my coffee in there every morning if I felt it was good for the high street and community in general.
user100

Post by user100 »

Sounds great!

There is loads of demand in Sydenham for good coffee and all the nice stuff that goes with it.

There seems to be loads more young professionals / young families in Sydenham these past few years - and let's not forget its not just yuppies and yummy mummies who like the good things in life!

I definitely agree you need to have a spacious place - we already had Zucker which was too small except for takeaway, and there is at least one other small place already, so to set yourself apart I think you need to have room for people to meet and hang out.

Best of luck with it all!
westie

Post by westie »

great idea.exactly the sort of thing sydenham needs.don't forget the weekend breakfasts.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Coffee King !!! any thoughts ??

what's the latest?
CATLADY

coffee shop

Post by CATLADY »

count us in! :D
Monica

Post by Monica »

Hmmmm, coffee king's gone a bit quiet. Is this another case of someone teasing us with the idea of a great coffee shop and then deciding to go and do it in Crystal Palace?
coffeeking

Post by coffeeking »

Thanks to all of you who have commented on Coffee King. I am still researching this project because it costs a lot of dosh to set up! Maybe you guys could help me by asking your friends/fellow passengers etc if they would use the coffee shop/how often?/and how much would they spend daily on coffee/muffins/juice/paninis etc. This would be very helpful to me. Cheers and be in touch soon. CK.