Foresters Hall

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Foresters Hall

Post by Falkor »

There's an old hall hidden away, down Clyde Vale, with an erection date of 1868 engraved on the facade! I wonder what this place was used for? Slightly further along down another Dartmouth Road back street is another, almost identical looking, hall.

Also down Clyde Vale, at the bottom, Steve recently informed us of an old park before the business centre was built. Surprisingly, looking at some old maps, there appears to have been a few houses here before the park. Even more intrigueing is evidence of an even larger row of houses, opposite, called Clyde Terrace, which I can find no photos in reference.

No doubt the hall(s) would have played a major role for this part of the community.
Falkor

Found a couple from the 60s...

Post by Falkor »

Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Foresters' Hall was built, as Falkor says, in 1865. It was built by "Court Foresters' Fancy No.1968", a local group of the <Ancient Order of Foresters Friendly Society>. Apparently the AOF owned the building until the mid 1990s when the cost of upkeep became too great. The hall was on the first floor with, until recently, steps leading up to the entrance. The ground floor had kitchens, dressing rooms &c.

The hall was hired out to local groups for meetings, concerts and amateur dramatics, and was licensed for theatrical performances until at least 1887. Between it was used by the Providence Strict Baptist Chapel, when they moved into their own building on the other side of Dartmouth Road.

Before they had their own hall the local branch of the AOF met at the Foresters pub in Perry Vale, and I wonder whether this, perhaps, is where the pub got its name from.

Incidentally, Clyde Vale was called Raglan Street until the mid-1930s.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Cheers for the info, Steve!
"Court Foresters' Fancy No.1968"
What a strange name!? :/
Falkor

Couple more...

Post by Falkor »

multisync

Post by multisync »

Very interested to see these photos,brought back childhood memories.The row with broken windows faced on to a"bomb site"dont know what used to be there.Found lots of little treasures there ,we used to have our bonfires there on Guy Fawkes night.It then became a small park.Opposite this row was the hall which later became brickworks or something was called Zirconal,they later moved to a plot between Noel Terrace and Dartmouth Road.The other row of houses down Clyde Vale on the right surrounded a small square.Unfortunately no photos,but I put a link in under Forest Hill Station.
Does anybody remember the 'glue factory" and the old signal box at the end of Clyde Terrace.