Your opinion on a new healthy Juice/Coffee Bar in Forest Hil

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
kiwi100

Your opinion on a new healthy Juice/Coffee Bar in Forest Hil

Post by kiwi100 »

Hello everyone,

Am new to the forum and I wanted to get your opinion on something that I am considering doing.

I am thinking about opening a new Juice Bar and Coffee Shop in Forest Hill with healthy food options and a no smoking, relaxed enviornment. I know there is a lack of this sort of business in Forest Hill but I really wanted to know whether it is something that you feel would enhance the living experience in the area and whether it is something that you would like.

Please let me know your views, good or bad.

Thanks
leaf

Post by leaf »

Hello Kiwi100

Im positive your new venture would be very muched welcomed,but probably more so if it were in sydenham rd itself!

There are many a request here for something of that nature in syd rd,is sydenham rd a location you have considered or may consider?
kiwi100

Cafe in Forest Hill

Post by kiwi100 »

I would consider doing this in sydenham, but I am not sure of what amount of people would be interested, I know in Forest Hill there really is a need as people dont want to go to a pub with their children on a Sunday with all the smoke around them to have a coffee some nice food and read a paper.

I am definately thinking about it...

Kind regards

Julia
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Well being based in Sydenham rather than Forest Hill, of course I'm biased but I would say Sydenham is crying out for such a thing!

Forest Hill does have that health food shop on Dartmouth Rd (the name of which escapes me) which has coffee and a bit of seating.

One thing to bear in mind is that come July ALL pubs will be non-smoking so offering a non-smoking environment will not be a USP for long!

However I'm certain that in either Forest Hill or Sydenham there is demand for something like this.

A good model is Domali in Crystal Palace which (despite being almost universally recognised as not actually being THAT great) does a roaring trade at all times of day. I think they succeed by being a bit 'funky' (art and modern music), having a wide-ranging (if rather tired) menu allowing you to pop in for anything from a light snack to a full meal, and having an alcohol licence and a good happy hour. You could do a lot worse than follow this example.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Please think about Sydenham Road, then I won't have to walk under that stinking cesspit of a subway between Perry Vale and Dartmouth Road to get to your coffee shop.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I agree - Sydenham needs this kind of thing more than Forest Hill does.
biscuitman1978

Juice bar/coffee shop

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I'd also welcome a juice bar/coffee shop in Sydenham Road!
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Hi, the Organic Republic cafe in Forest Hill didn't last long. I followed the excitement and disappointment on the SE23 forum here:

http://www.se23.com/forum/messages/9/58 ... 1168882295

There is a genuine desire among quite a few people around here, in Sydenham, for a coffee shop, but you would need to target it carefully. I probably wouldn't go because I commute, although I might pop in if it was near the station and the service was quick.
Many of the shoppers who use the high street during the day are already well served by Chef's Delight et al.
It would need to be upmarket as there are lots and lots of young parents at home with small children and local business people who would love somewhere to go, and are not at all well served at the moment. With big enough premises, you could target both.
michael

Post by michael »

There is definitely a desire for a coffee chop in Forest Hill and as long as it is located on the main roads (Dartmouth or London) then you should have a good number of customers all day long.

There are a number of possible sites (next to Sainsburys, next to Boots, old McDonalds, and possibly opposite Sainsburys). The Forest Hill Society were planning to approach coffee shops in the wider area or coffee chains to make clear the opportunity of a site in Forest Hill (the second busiest station in South East London according to some figures and likely to become busier with the East London Line coming). Of course if you are serious about setting up in Forest Hill then we would want to support you rather than looking for existing businesses coming into the area.

I would not disagree that Sydenham would also benefit from, and be able to support a coffee shop, but Forest Hill is probably a better opportunity for you to get started in the local area. Of course I am biased as I live in Forest Hill, but I expect if you don't take up the opportunity present in Forest Hill, somebody else (probably a chain) will come in. Now is the best time to establish an independent coffee shop in Forest Hill!
kster

Post by kster »

There is the old gym on Station Approach just off the high street in Sydenham, I don’t know if you can use it for a food premises but it looks empty at the moment. That would have a big enough space for people to use as a meeting place (the main reason why people use coffee / juice bars if you ask me).

Given that the unit is by Sydenham’s main railway station, if you could create a “breakfast smoothie” then I’m sure you’d be able to shift 100s of them to the morning commuters – especially if you had them pre-prepared and ready to ship out of a kiosk window.

I would definitely use something like that if it was opened in Sydenham.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Great idea kster! :)
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I used to live in the block of flats in Station Approach for 2 years before buying in sydenham. I know they are very keen in getting the place filled! If you are interested in making it a coffee shop I think it would be a great location as you would def. get all the commuters (me included, I always get my coffee the other end of my commute - usually starbucks but would much prefer to support a local coffee shop in Sydenham!). I think you would be suprised how many people would start using it too..!

If you are interested, pop into Property World (across the road) as they are on very good terms with the landlords as they rent all the flats for them and probably can give their direct number as they are based in Cornwall. Currently the Gym is being advertised by another agency (for commercial lettings) but they apparently only advertise it as a gym. I did suggest to the landlord it would make a fab coffee shop but I don't think he ever pursued it (he has loads of properties all over the place in London)..

Another great location would be the old HSBC bank, but in some ways Station Approach would be better as it is on the same side of the road as the station and you would get all the lazy commuters who don't want to cross the busy road!

Good luck with your plans - it sounds like a fab idea!
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Great idea to use those premises - you could not really get any close to the station which must be the most important consideration for anyone starting this kind of business. The interior looks really spacious with lots of room for sofas, buggies etc and the kind of large windows that seem to work well for coffee shops (the HSBC premises would be better for a restaurant, I think). Also with LA Fitness the gym market in Sydenham is pretty much taken care of - whereas we don't have a coffee shop / juice bar.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Sounds like an opportunity not to be missed if you ask me.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

In that location, I think a shop which also offered take-out or a few deli-style items would go down well - so commuters could stop in to buy coffee and croissant on the way to work, and buy something for tea on the way home.

Things like soups, quiches, chilli etc which could be offered as light meals in the shop/cafe, or in take-out portions to heat at home. Personally, I would go out of my way for decent fresh bread as well!
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Sydenham is absolutely crying out for a deli style cafe / coffee shop. There is not a single other establishment in the high street which caters for this market. Get in there first before someone else does.
kster

Post by kster »

There is not a single other establishment in the high street which caters for this market.
Don't forget about Zuckers, which is on Kirkdale just beyond the wobbly roundabout. If you want a decent coffee and some lunch it is a great place to go. The food is good and you get service with a smile. But it is small. In the unlikely event that the gym gets turned into a coffee / juice bar it would offer something else and satisfy a different need.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I’d embarked on my own business venture last year I’d be seriously interested in taking on that place. Kiwi100 seems to have gone quiet (and was talking about Forest Hill anyway), so are there any budding entrepreneurs out there on the forum?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Despite the fact I live but a stones throw from Zuckers, I never seem to be around when it is open. It seems it isn't open on Sundays, or even that much on Saturdays?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kster wrote:... are there any budding entrepreneurs out there on the forum?
I might be persuaded to franchise the name 'Town Cafe' in return for the odd cappuccino ;-)

Oh - in case no one noticed I decided to give The Dolphin an award in return for satisfying my bodily needs ... well some of them anyway!
http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_dolphin_award.html

And you are right I must try Zuckers.

Admin
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

It seems Kiwi100 has jumped ship to the Forest Hill lot - just waiting for access to the se23 forum. Has negotiated lease for the very same shop I posted about but now seems to be getting cold feet because another coffee shop is opening round there.

http://www.se23.com/forum/messages/9/97 ... 1169119191

They don't half whinge that lot, don't they?