Portas Pilot announce event 7.30pm 23 August at the Horniman

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: Portas Pilot announce event 7.30pm 23 August at the Horn

Post by Tim Lund »

The curious thing is that it suggests the regeneration of retailing and residential are distinct - so the High street vitality no longer comes from serving local needs. It makes sense of remarks I've heard various times about the need to make the area a destination - but this raises the question why Sydenham should be a destination, and for whom. I've tended to accept the dominant view that Sydenham Road needs in the first instance to serve local needs, but I can see I might be wrong.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

To be honest Tim cannot see people traveling for miles just to shop in Sydenham Road. However I never ceased to be surprised.

Up to recently I wondered who would want to buy a car boot without the car. I had no idea what car boot sales really were. Having since has the misfortune to see one never again.

In days of yore Cobbs , Slaters and The Criterion may have had a draw. Even Boag's was famous for ironmongery as far away as Penge.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Eagle wrote:To be honest Tim cannot see people traveling for miles just to shop in Sydenham Road. However I never ceased to be surprised.

Up to recently I wondered who would want to buy a car boot without the car. I had no idea what car boot sales really were. Having since has the misfortune to see one never again.

In days of yore Cobbs , Slaters and The Criterion may have had a draw. Even Boag's was famous for ironmongery as far away as Penge.
Eagle - I fear your days - and mine - may have passed, and that retail vitality is about catching the fickle wave of the latest urban tribe. Do you understand why people to Hoxton? Nor do I, but I am researching how to be a hipster ...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You are probably correct Tim. Speaking as one born when good King George was on the throne I suppose that speaks for itself.

Not sure any sort of trendy shops in SR , but what do I know.