GREYHOUND WALL ART: WE NEED YOUR IMAGES

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: GREYHOUND WALL ART: WE NEED YOUR IMAGES

Post by leenewham »

I think so too Annie.

But I thought I'd ask. It's the communities mural.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well, it was erected at the top of sydenham hill, and I think far to important not to include it

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
simon

Post by simon »

Being a sad radio enthusiast, or anorak. I have loads of pictures of the Crytal Palace transmitter tower that I shall be submitting. Even if it isn't actually in Sydenham, it is a constant feature of the skyline.
I'll be submitting a load of images within the next couple of weeks and will take some new ones in the interim.
Great project, well done Lee.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks Simon,

Submit away. Any chance of a mention about it on the radio? Also, how about sending in images of the radio crew for the wall?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We have got a lot of images so far, many thanks to everyone who has submitted them.

We are hoping to get more images of people, perhaps pictures from the past too. Something where you can stand at the mural and point and say 'look, that's me', or 'that's my great grandad in Mayor Park'.

Keep sending them. It's looking good.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Have you got images of the Greyhound as it was? And maybe other pubs of Sydenham for a "those we have lost" section? I have some of the Woodman, I think.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have a lot of image sof Old Sydenham and current Sydenham. What I need more of is people past and present.

And Norman Hunter. ;-)

Hopefully artists will also submit some work too.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Shackleton?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I mean ordinary people past and present. We have lots of famous people (copyright willing, although some are rather mean with their images and have asked for a fee, which isn't possible).

If you have images of your family past present or future in Sydenham, please go to the link and submit them.
ariana.p.newham

Post by ariana.p.newham »

Thanks to everyone who has sent images so far. Remember that you can submit as many as you want so please don't be shy!

Also, this is completely optional but some of you have opted out of having your name credited on the wall. I just want to encourage you (a little bit) to include your name as it'd be a shame if we end up just with a handful of names for the wall. We have a rather short list of at the moment!

If you want your name included it'd appear on the credit section on the bottom right corner of the mural, it won't go on top of the images you sent so don't worry about them being covered by it.

The credits will look something like this:
marymck

Post by marymck »

That looks good, Ariana.

I wonder whether it would be possible to produce a key? Maybe an A-Z type grid reference or something similar, so that people can work out the people/places/dates of the pix? Could be hours of fun in the pub garden.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's a nice idea Mary, but depending on the final size (despite asking we don't have the final drawings from Purelake yet) there will be thousands and thousands of images. We calculated a minimum of 3500 images to make it work, and that's with repeats! Logistically it would be a nightmare and take up too much space on the wall if we were to list every image, plus we don't have that much information on every image, dates etc.

Besides, I think it will be fun trying to find your images in the wall. I'd much rather read the book than the index.

But as Ariana says, please don't forget to include your name if you want it to go on the wall, we have lots of images but not enough names for the 'credits'.

And please, submit your images!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

BUMP:

We need your images. It woud be nice if businesses, local artists etc would send in images. After a great initial response it's been a bit quiet of late.

Keep them coming!
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I agree that images of the crystal palace should included. The crystal palace transmitters loom over sydenham - it's a major element of the geography and history of the area, even if it's not technically in sydenham itself.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We are still after your images.