A historical walk through Sydenham Hill Woods

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
ALIB

A historical walk through Sydenham Hill Woods

Post by ALIB »

Our resident historian , Steve Grindlay, has very kindly agreed to do a historical walk through Sydenham Hill Woods.
This is to take place on Tuesday 20th March, starting at 11am at the Cresecent Wood Entrance.

The talk should cover the Nunhead to Crystal Palace rail line, World War 2 bomb craters and some of the remains of houses that used to be on Sydenham Hill. Plus other items that Steve will produce on the day.

All are welcome. Well-behaved dogs are allowed to accompany the walk. Please wear appropriate walking shoes/clothes for (potentially) muddy/rainy conditions.
Last edited by ALIB on 29 Mar 2012 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
ALIB

Re: A historical walk through Sydenham Hill Woods

Post by ALIB »

meeting by No. 1 on the leaflet shown below

[imgImage
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

bump
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

I would dearly love to attend this event but am unfortunately working :(
Hopefully maybe another historical walk through SHW will be arranged, at a later date, so that I might be able to attend (work shifts allowing) :)

Wishing all who do make it, a wonderful and informative walk :D

Feel free to contact me directly if another of the same is planned.

Thank you in advance.

Sue
michael

Post by michael »

I'm pleased to say that the Forest Hill Society are also organising a walk in the woods on Sunday 25th March. Details at: http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2012/0 ... -fair.html

Steve Grindlay will be joining us on the walk so it is ideal for people who can't make it to the walk on Tuesday.
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Oh no, I have another long shift that day (Sunday) too (monthly rota says so and no chance of changing) :(
I used to take my children and dog there quite often, up until about about 3 years ago, but now he is in doggy-heaven (11 years as part of our family) and my sons are (almost all) grown men, I have not been there for a while and really would love to hear more of the history whilst walking about there again.

Ah well, maybe next time (hopefully will be another time in the future) :D
Thank you very much for the info though - Michael, via thread AND ALIB via PM.

Will be nice to read some feedback on here from people, after the walk/s.

Enjoy! :)

Regards
Sue
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

A fantastic talk, lasting nearly 2 hours. Steve concentrated on the railway, the WW2 bombs and the large houses that used to exist along Sydenham Hill.
Really enjoyable with around 20 people attending (which is good for a weekday morning).

I am hopeful Steve could persuaded to do another on a weekend, perhaps in the Summer. Alternatively there is the Forest Hill Society walk this coming Suunday. It will include Steve Grindlay, but the walk will not be led by him.

Steve really gives food for thought. The Kings Speech, George Harrison, Joseph Paxton and Hitler were all included, with much relevance to Sydenham. I liked the man who was allowed to live in a cave in the woods.

I will have photos and notes available for those who are interested, but I suggest you pm Steve to campaign for him to do another walk. please provide your email details to me via PM if you want copies of the information/photos covered

A very nice beer or two in the Dulwich Woodhouse was a much appreciated finish to the walk :D

Ali
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Thank you very much for that ALIB
Glad to hear it was a great turnout :)

I will forward my e-mail address to you as I would love to see the photos and notes and I will PM Steve too to ask if he could do another walk in the Summer :)

Regards
Sue
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I think i have sent stuff to people who pm'ed me. Please let me know if you didn't get anything.

My hunch is that there are quite a few people who'd love to do another walk with Steve in Sydenham HIll Woods. Please, please PM him if you want to do a historical walk.
Steve is a thoroughly lovely chap.

The weather is currently fine and sunny , so please make the most of The Woods and Steve in the next few months.
Payment can be made in 'Youngs Special' at the Dulwich Woodhouse. :D
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

ISteve Grindlay has indicated he'd be happy to do another walk round the woods. Almost any weekend between 19th May and early September would be fine for him. Can people post some preferred dates , and come up with a couple of suitable dates?

PS: JulietP has PMd steve to say that she would be interested in a weekend walk.