kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
multisync

kirkdale

Post by multisync »

Well how strange all this talk about "Kirkdale village" previously, now to see that the woodman which is a quite old historical building and once a very nice pub is to be taken over by an estate agents whjch firstly was in the old hairdressers, then took over abbots antiques qnd the sub post office.I suppose they are behind all this c--- regarding "the village"
I agree that the french bakers is very nice,Mr Patel in Perfucare also and very helpful.Tesco Express is overpriced and not particularly impressive.Alhambra is totally overpriced and trys to get in on everthing!!! teaching Spanish, cookery,you name it they do it and tea and cake to boot!.Thats amore is very nice,also pleasant people and reasonable.
The rest of Kirkdale really needs sorting out, big time.
Bring back the good times eh MaryMk
Robin Orton

Re: kirkdale

Post by Robin Orton »

The rest of Kirkdale really needs sorting out, big time
This is far too sweeping. Ram's general store is a great community asset and I've also been more than satisfied by 'George' the barber on the couple of occasions I've used him. As regards Alhambra, I don't know about their prices, but one person's 'trying to get in on everything' is another person's 'trying to make a positive contribution to the local community.'
multisync

Post by multisync »

I agree with George,have been using him since he first opened in W.Park Road,Ram used to be pleasant but now if you don't use him for a while and the go in you get a sarcy comment
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think you are being just a tad unfair Multisync: "Alhambra ...trys to get in on everthing!!! teaching Spanish, cookery,you name it they do it and tea and cake to boot!"

I see that as a positive. Infact I see that as a model for other shops in Sydenham to follow. Do more, do what chains and big brands can't do, do something different, change, adapt and above all enjoy what you do.

That's how our high streets will survive and become places people actually want to be again. Offer great service, offer something different, fulfull a niche, don't copy what everyone else next to you is doing or offer a definable difference to the others and treat customers like you would treat a friend.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Sorry Lee, but maybe they should be down in Sydenham Rd then.
blue&whitewizard1991

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

I must say im tempted to agree with Multisync, every time I go to Alahambra I get the impression that there is no clear strategy/ business plan - and that diversity of offer does not neccesarily result in a clear business narrative and compatability bewteen products and services.

I'm not keen on bashing local businesses, as im a strong supporter of investment to our area. However in this case I hope constructive criticism can proove useful.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

George the barber is brilliant. Always does a great job on my two sons' scalps. And mine. He's also great fun. The two boys always enjoy speaking with him and he often asks after them.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Personally, I think diversity is the most important thing. If all shop keepers had the same approach and style then we'd have the usual bland, homogenised high streets. I would love to see upper Kirkdale regenerated as the Old High Street, with all the variety it used to have.

So if people have the finances to go run a shop without a business plan (and I'm obviously not saying who has one and who doesn't, as I don't know and it's none of my business) then good for them! I guess you only have to have one if you want to borrow money from the bank.

If I could afford it, I'd be a florist. Alas, I can't afford it and I'd be a hopeless shop keeper. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll be a hobby florist ... I'd love that.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I'm moving to a street just off kirkdale soon and I'm really encouraged by the shops in the area - yes, they're a bit tatty and a tad random, but I actually like the fact that there's bizarrely a art deco furniture shop at the end of the road! The boyfriend and I tried out That's Amore last night and the food was amazing - it properly knocked our socks off! Nothing's perfect, but at least the businesspeople in kirkdale are making an effort to rejuvenate the area. Personally, I wish them all the luck in the world.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'd just like to say "I love Alhambra's". Please keep up the good work! I guess you're never going to please everyone but frankly multysync I think your comments are very rude and hurtful. Why on earth should the move to Sydenham road??? I really think they are the best thing to happen to Kirkdale.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

We are all entitled to our opinion.

Mine regarding Alhambra however, differs utterly from that of the poster and - quite by coincidence - I was in there today for the first time in quite a while. Isn't it funny how we all react to things differently, but without having even seen this post I was actually struck again by how reasonably priced and well-pitched their stuff is in contrast to the view of the poster. For gifts, there are a great deal of things under ten pounds, under fifteen pounds and the majority under twenty pounds. There, Kirkdale Books and Bunkha, on Dartmouth Road, tend to be the places I go to when I've birthdays, etc coming up. They seem to be entirely responsive to local demand, which is fantastic, and full of ideas. Good for them. I've not been to any of their events as exciting as they sound as I have a toddler and no babysitter/ life. That's the only reason

I also went to the bakers today. Great place. Welcome! Yum

I know the high street - both parts - is quite shabby, but we really have some fantastic places now. Discussing them in Alhambra today, I was taken aback by the number of places we listed. And there are still some I havent made it into (namely beauty related - if you saw me, you'd see why.) Alhambra, in my view is really one of those great places along with all the other places I've championed in other posts.

Village or no village. Bring it on.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Actually, I think the only really shabby bit of Kirkdale is at the top end of the old High Street, on the Sydenham side of the junction with Dartmouth Road, where what was 'His Grace' (great name) and the derelict shop next to it are eyesores. Anyone know anything about any future plans for these premises?
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Totally agree with MiniFox about Alhambra!

There are lots of great shops/businesses in the area that we should be supporting, whether they cater to your taste or not. Alhambra is primarily a gift shop - it does that really well and the prices are not terrible. I also took one of their Spanish classes - such a great idea to use the shop outside of traditional shopping hours.

Love the bakery too.