Bell Green Public Inquiry

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Bell Green Public Inquiry

Post by Pat Trembath »

Bell Green Gasworks Site

The Public Inquiry into the future of the derelict gasworks site at Bell Green starts on Tuesday next week. The Sydenham Society will be representing its membership at the inquiry and objecting to the plans for a huge Homebase and garden centre, other large warehouse retailing and a burger style restaurant, together with an additional 600 extra car parking spaces.

The Sydenham Society will also be representing the concerns expressed by the local community who sent in objections during the consultation period (95% of those commenting objected). Concerns expressed were on the grounds of increased traffic – 11% on Sydenham Road and 13% on Perry Rise during peak periods, and of damage to trade in Catford, Forest Hill and Sydenham. Bromley Council have also objected to the plans because of increased traffic on local residential roads and anticipated trade draw from its high streets and town centres.

The inquiry starts on Tuesday 13 June at Lewisham Town Hall at 10.00 am. The inquiry will continue throughout the rest of the week at the Town Hall starting at 10.00 each day. It will reconvene on Tuesday 20 June (at 9.30) and continue at 10.00 on Thursday 22 and Friday 23. There is a possibility it may reconvene the following week on 27 and 28 June if there is still business to be finished.

Anyone wishing to speak at the inquiry should attend on the first morning to register. It would be very helpful to have a good local community turn out on this first morning.

The Society has hired a barrister and would welcome any donations towards our considerable legal costs. Cheques should be made payable to the Sydenham Society and sent c/o 97 Longton Grove, Sydenham, SE26 6QQ.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Bell Green Public Inquiry is about to enter its third day. The applicant's representative has spent the past one and a half days justifying the developer's proposals. He has been cross-examined for one day by Sydenham Society's barrister and the Inspector, Christina Downes, is halfway through further examination. Other witnesses for the developers will be examined later to day.

Tomorrow, Friday morning, two of the Society's witnesses should be giving evidence on alternative development proposals and on the environment and they will be cross-examined on these subjects. Tomorrow afternoon, Nick Bertrand, an ecologist, will be giving a powerpoint presentation about the undeveloped sites which promises to be interesting and a local resident will be making a statement about the effect of current traffic impact on Perry Rise and her opinion of what an increase of 13% at peak periods will mean to local residents.

It is anticipated the inquiry will last through next week - reconvening on Tuesday at 9.30 at the Town Hall. On Wednesday it will be held in the Livesey Hall and during the afternoon local residents will attend to give further individual statements about the proposals at Bell Green and their anticipated effects locally.

It is a PUBLIC inquiry and the Sydenham Society hopes the local community will fnd time to call in and watch the proceedings
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Unfortunately there are very few people in Sydenham aware this is going on.

Where has it been advertised? Nowhere. Are there posters up on the ugly concrete pillars in Sydenham Road? No. Are there poster around the site? No. Have handbills been delivered to residents' homes? No.

Some consultation!

Some of us have lives to live and a mention on a forum a few days ahead of the event is insufficient notice to enable us to attend. I should otherwise have gone along.

I wonder if there would be a 13% increase in traffic. If one of the sites is Homebase this should result in a reduction in traffic through the Southend Lane bridge. If only PC World and Curry's could be persuaded to set up shop we should again see a reduction along the same route.

No wonder Bromley are objecting!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Bell Green Public Inquiry - latest update

The sixth day of the inquiry ended with an inspection of the Phase 2 site (the large one behind the gas holders) so that the Planning Inspector could familiarize herself with the site.

Flat architect's drawings cannot compare with an on-site visit as was clear to the very few of us lucky enough to accompany her. The Phase 2 site is a beautiful, huge wild meadow, thigh high with wild flowers which have claimed the habitat as home since the area was fenced off probably over two decades ago. The "mound" of contaminated land at the back of the site and covered with wild flora, which we climbed, afforded some splendid views over the surrounding area - even the car park of Sainsbury's Savacentre appeared to lose its dominance of the area. The area, being covered with wild flowers and grasses, is deceptive as it is very uneven and there are hidden piles of rubble everywhere.

What is certain from this site visit is that the Phase 2 site is very large and retail warehousing on this site alongside that proposed on Phase 3, together with the existing Sainsbury's could have a massive effect on the shopping habits of residents in the wider surrounding area, providing they are prepared to battle with the traffic in the feeder roads approaching the proposed Bell Green Retail Park.

Additional traffic to Bell Green and how it would affect residents in the local area is what the Society's barrister will be cross-examining the Council's Highways Officer on when the inquiry resumes tomorrow. Also scheduled to speak on Friday are Pat Trembath on Retail and other Local Matters, James Dickens on Employment (both presenting the Society's evidence to the Inquiry), Hilary Graver and John Jarrett (local residents) and all three Bellingham councillors.

The inquiry returns to the Town Hall at Catford and re-opens at 10.00am, Friday 23 June. Members of the local community would be most welcome!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Bell Green Public Inquiry - final week.

The Inquiry continues tomorrow, Tuesday, at Lewisham Town Hall, Catford at 10.00 am. Geraldine Cox (Kirkdale Bookshop) and Chair of Sydenham Traders Association will make a statement to the Inspector on how she sees the impact of a Retail {Park at Bell Green on the retailers of Sydenham Road and the Planning Officer in overall charge of the applications will be giving evidence and will be cross- examined by the Society's barrister.

On Wednesday the Inspector will be visiting a large number of sites in Lewisham,Bromley and Croydon to familiarise herself with the patterns of trading throughout the area.

On Thursday the Inquiry will begin at 11.00 am at the Town Hall when the Counsel for all parties - Sydenham Society, British Gas and Lewisham Council will be making their Closing Statements.

After this the Inspector will collate all the evidence presented into a Report to the Secretary of State and will recommend approval or refusal of the British Gas proposals. A final decision will be handed down from the Secretay of State, presently Ruth Kelly, sometime early next year.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Information just received states decision about the future of Bell Green will be made on or before 19 October, 2006 - somewhat earlier than originally expected
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Sounds like British Gas have won.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Knighton wrote:Sounds like British Gas have won.
But are there any real winners and losers :?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

In answer to one comment - the decision is now being made by Ruth Kelly instead of John Prescott - perhaps she'll take a little less time off work than two Jags did and get the job done more quickly! In actual fact an earlier decision will be made because new targets have been set for results for Public Inquiries, generally.

The answer to the other comment is no - no one will win. If the site does become a Retail Park we shall have more traffic and pollution throughout the area, rat-running and less investment into the high streets (and the argument about the "state "of the high street does not need to be re-run here) of not only Sydenham but also Forest Hill and Catford.

If the decision is to turn down the applications the question will still remain as to how to regenerate Bell Green. There are suggestions that the site could be used as a major employment site for business and industry - Kangley Bridge and Worsley Bridge Roads just over the border in Bromley are examples of what might be. Alternatively the site could be used for more housing together with ancillary infrastructure as has been done on other redundant gasworks sites.

If either of these is the case it will be a matter of everyone having to go back to the drawing board and starting again. Several more years of dereliction would likely ensue.

One final choice could be made. That is to leave the large Phase 2 site to Nature with a bit of land "management".

The land has remained untouched for nearly two decades. During the inquiry an ecologist gave us the information that bull finches, house sparrows, linnets, sky larks, song thrushes and starlings - all "Red List" species of high conservation concern - are breeding or probably breeding on and using the surrounding area for feeding, roosting and wintering. There is also, unsurprisingly, a long "Amber List" of birds, not to mention an even longer list of wild flowers and grasses that have naturalised the site.

An ecology park is probably too much to hope for, but this large "brownfield" site could be one of the greenest in London. Now there's a thought!
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

All those birds are to be seen in my garden. Seems to me the gardens around mine provide a better nature reserve. We also have red foxes, hedgehogs, squirrels... frogs, toads!
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Cor! sky larks and linnets? Have you a hide at the bottom of your garden and can we twitchers make an appointment to view - Knighton Park, presumably?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

For information only - and especially for Planning Anoraks and Legal Beagles!

The Closing Submissions made by Sydenham Society’s barrister, Juan Lopez, on 29 June at the Bell Green Public Inquiry are now posted on our website www.sydenhamsociety.com.

For anyone wanting to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee whilst reading it, a hardcopy is also available in the Gallery of Kirkdale Bookshop.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Many apologies to all those legal beagles and planning anoraks who may have tried to access Sydenham Society's web-site to read the Closing Submissions by our barrister. The link quoted was incorrect.

The address should have been given as www.sydenhamsociety.com
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

I'm really looking forward to being able to do some shopping within reasonable travelling distance.

Here's to the successful implementation of a decent shopping facility at Bell Green.

Let's hope, however, the flat earthers have not scared the retailers off. Let's hope, too, the developers can be persuaded to foot the bill to improve the roads around the site despite the resentful blinkered opposition they have faced.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Thanks Sydenham Society for the opportunity you have given to all Sydenham Town users for the chance to read your arguments as to why you believe there should not be a retail park at Bell Green.

The Closing Submission posted on your website is a long document, but you have broken it down into smaller (but still large) bite- size segments, for which I , for one, was very grateful.

I found the submission interesting, well-argued and quite compelling reading. I'm not a flat-earther and frankly I cannot see any need to have another Homebase in the area. There is one in Bromley Road and one at Penge. There is also a Wickes at Catford.

From your submission I noted that Lewisham has designated the entire length of Sydenham Road and all the "feeder" roads (except Perry Rise) to Bell Green an Air Quality Management Area and I quote from the submission " the designation is made by Lewisham in response to limit pollutant emissions within a geographical area that experiences an acute number of pedestrian trips and to safeguard the human health of those travelling to and from the site.... The purpose of the protection... is to ensure that the level of pollutant emissions is suitably managed and local air quality adequately safeguarded."

The retail park at Bell Green would increase traffic by 10% through Sydenham Road and by 16% in Southend Lane which can only worsen the air quality locally. I read these figures (cant remember the source) sometime ago and they stuck in my mind - I cant remember the figures for Perry Hill and Perry Rise - sorry, perhaps someone can help here?

Until Lewisham sorts out its acknowledged problem of air quality in and arond Sydenham and Bell Green how can it possibly have considered agreeing this planning application?

Just another thought. Why does Perry Rise not feature in this Air Quality Management Area? I'd have thought that with an extremely narrow road the air quality must be equally bad as in the rest of the surrounding area.
leaf

Post by leaf »

have to say that i am looking forward to being able to shop at a homebase that i can get a direct bus home from,not all of us have cars and the emissions from the bus i will ride on have been polluting the air around these parts for some time anyway.
doesnt anyone realise that this will be of great benefit for local residents?

i do understand why people fight against these things,but they will benefit lots of people all the same.

there isnt anywhere in sydenham that offers anything like that which will be offered by homebase,the diy shop in the high rd isnt really that good,nowhere near the same choice or service i hasten to add.

im glad this developement is going through.
kster

Post by kster »

I can't believe one of the key objections is increased traffic. Let’s not have a development because people will use it!!! Surely, increase traffic means that there will be interest in the area and ultimately (but not necessarily immediately) that will lead to increased prosperity in the area. The increase in traffic should be dealt with by proper traffic management and road investment, and not relying on the shambles of roads and junctions that we currently have here.

If you continue the Sydenham Society argument (i.e. not allow any development that would encourage people to come to Sydenham, just so that the traffic volume doesn't increase) you would cure all the traffic problems by eventually turning Sydenham into a ghost town.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Well said.

Actually I suspect locating a Homebase in Bell Green will reduce traffic flow. Certainly it should reduce the pressure on the bottleneck bridge in Southend Lane.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Let's be honest, when has anyone visited Homebase in Bromley Road or Penge and then said "Let's check out the local shops"? They don't, they get in their cars and go straight home (or to Bromley). Putting another Homebase or large retail unit on this site will do nothing for Sydenham or the surrounding residents. With the Bromley Road and Penge sites so close why would Lewisham Council even consider such a development. I hope all the current interest in bland high streets sway the decision makers in the right direction.
leaf

Post by leaf »

again,not everyone has a car to get to bromley rd and penge stores,it will mean i [and im sure lots more like me]will be able to get our diy goods without being ripped off in the high st,oh but its quaint to have high st shops isnt it.