Kent House Leisure Gardens

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nickerbockers

Kent House Leisure Gardens

Post by Nickerbockers »

Hi, I live opposite the Kent House allotments and am thinking about going on the waiting list for one. Does anyone know if they cost a lot, and how long the waiting list might be. I've read somewhere about 10 year + waiting lists for allotments!!! :? :shock:
pip

Re: Kent House Leisure Gardens

Post by pip »

Friends of mine managed to get a half plot on the same allotement a few months ago and they were on the waiting list for about 6 months. I think they pay around £60.00 a year.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

pip wrote:Friends of mine managed to get a half plot on the same allotement a few months ago and they were on the waiting list for about 6 months. I think they pay around £60.00 a year.
Pip - I run the waiting list, and I can only think you meant to say 6 years. The idea that someone could have got a plot after just 6 months if true would be explosive. Could you pm me with details?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nickerbockers wrote:Hi, I live opposite the Kent House allotments and am thinking about going on the waiting list for one. Does anyone know if they cost a lot, and how long the waiting list might be. I've read somewhere about 10 year + waiting lists for allotments!!! :? :shock:
Until a concern was raised about the Data Protection Act, it was possible for anyone to see our waiting list on our site here http://www.khlga.com/, and members / waiting list applicants have a log in to allow them to see this. At the moment there are 73 on the list. We have c. 150 individually let plots - so including half and quarter plots - and as a rule of thumb, there's a turnover over about 15 a year - so expect to wait 5 years.
pip

Post by pip »

Oh well Nickerbockers at least youve now got it from the horses mouth.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nickerbockers

To fill you in a bit more, this year a half plot - which means 5 rods - approx 125 sq. metres - would have cost you £47.50 - and a bit more if you were growing grapes, and wanted to use the new winery.

Pip

I hope I don't seem over sensitive on this matter, but some people enjoy nothing more than insinuating that the waiting list is fiddled, and a story on a forum such as this that someone had got a plot after six months needs to be squashed - which is one big reason for having the waiting list on-line. I would be very grateful if you could get back to your friend to check the facts. It is of course possible that he/she got a plot on the nearby Kent House Road allotments, just the other side of Kent House Lane - see http://www.balgf.org/ or http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 15671&z=11