Has Sydenham still got its funding to regenerate the high st

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jonekt

Has Sydenham still got its funding to regenerate the high st

Post by jonekt »

Does anyone know if the regeneration of Sydenham high street still has the go-ahead, or has this now been axed since the cuts in public spending.

Would be such a shame after all the time spend planning, consulting, liaising, petitioning, lobbying etc over the last few years to get this far..
Tim Lund

Re: Has Sydenham still got its funding to regenerate the hig

Post by Tim Lund »

I've heard nothing of any plans to cancel this - and I'm assuming it will happen. It is significant that this is TfL money - not part of the budget Lewisham is having to cut.
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

You could ask these people, they would be more likely to know http://www.sydenhamsociety.com/
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I contacted the council a few weeks ago.

The top half of Sydenham high streets regeneration is going ahead, but the bottom part from Kent House Road to Mayow Road isn't.

It seems as if Lower Sydenham is not on the councils agenda. Between Kent House Road and Mayow Road there are 5 empty shops AND an empty pub, it's the drabbest part of Sydenham despite having three of it's most treasured businesses there, Trattoria, the Golden Lion and the Dolphin.

With the possible closure of our library, we feel like we are being forgotten about by the council down here.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

GeorgeMichael
You could ask these people
Well, I'm pleased you've found the new Sydenham Society site, redesigned by Dan of this parish. I guess I still count as one of 'these people', so you'll probably get the same answer.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It looks good actually.

Lots of old articles have been removed I noticed. The 'What If Sydenham' post is missing, do the Syd Soc not approve I wonder?

Overall it's a good site, informative, pretty and fresher.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

leenewham wrote:It seems as if Lower Sydenham is not on the councils agenda. Between Kent House Road and Mayow Road there are 5 empty shops AND an empty pub, it's the drabbest part of Syden
I think it's terrible that they are leaving that part of Sydenham, it seems knowone cares, which is what the lady from Sydenham Tattoo's said on Sydenham Community Radio when we interviewed her sometime ago, it's a real shame. It needs attention. Very sad. There are now two closed pubs, the Old Man of Kent and now the Alfred, helps really push the 'Lower' name on the map.

Can we try and do something about it?

G-man
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

leenewham wrote:Overall it's a good site, informative, pretty and fresher.
Yes, much better than the old one which was a bit scrappy. The type kept running into the photos and the logo kept disappearing.
Tim Lund wrote:I guess I still count as one of 'these people', so you'll probably get the same answer.
Sorry Tim mate. I didn't mean you weren't the one to ask, I didn't knw you still went to meetings with the bigwigs like they do. Thought you stepped down to concentrate on your career in banking or something, that's why you couldn't continue being Chair. Still sounds like you still have fingers in the pies, tho.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I take it you are not the George Michael. Though understand people in penil servitude are allowed computers now adays.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There are a lot of local groups and people working to improve Sydenham. Hopefully the new Syd Soc website (and the Sydenham Society as a while) will help them all work together.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

New information on this on the SydSoc website, updated today:

http://www.sydenhamsociety.com/2010/10/ ... s-january/
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Starts in January
That's great news! Hopefully phase two will happen too.