SAVE SYDENHAM LIBRARY

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Re: SAVE SYDENHAM LIBRARY

Post by simon »

No and yes.
Hope that helps :)
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

If you are interested in joining the campaign we will be staging a demonstration outside Lewisham Town Hall on Thursday 23rd. We plan to meet in the car park at Lawrence House at 6 pm and to walk to the Town hall arriving at the main door by 6.30 pm ahead of the Council Meeting at 7.30pm. Come along and support the campaign!

www.sydlib.com
simon

Post by simon »

We are lobbying the Council meeting because we have tabled a question to Mayor as follows:

"What steps has the Mayor taken to consider the social implications of the proposed closure of Sydenham Library with particular regard to:

(i) the Council's statutory duties under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964;

(ii) the Library's role as a community hub in one of the poorest parts of the borough;

(iii) the Council's existing significant financial investment in the area for regeneration purposes with approximately £60,000 for Home Park alone;

(iv) the substantial housing developments planned for the Lower Sydenham area?"

The Mayor will reply and the Save Sydenham Library Campaign will then ask a supplmentary question.

There will also be campaigners from the other four Lewisham libraries under threat present so please come and help send the message loud and clear to Sir Steve: Hands Off Our Library!

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Good luck to all who are going to the library campaign tonight.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Coverage of last night's Council meeting here: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/84128 ... es/?ref=eb
olatunde

Post by olatunde »

popped in to the library today.

just to let people know there is a notice up in the library about a follow up public meeting thats been organised by council officers to report back on proposals regarding the library its on the

11th october 2010 at 7pm

livesey memorial hall 225 perry hill SE6 4HD
shell1

Post by shell1 »

Thanks Olatunde - will defo be there on the 11th.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Tonight there is a live interview about the library on BBC Radio London's (FM 94.9) Drivetime programme at 6.30pm.

And tomorrow there is another opportunity to join the 106th birthday celebrations of Sydenham Library during Mother and Toddler storytime at 10.15 am which will be covered by ITV London and this should be broadcast on London Tonight, providing nothing of major importance occurs which would take precedence.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

http://sydenhamlibrary.wordpress.com/20 ... n-the-bbc/

Brilliant coverage on the BBC tonight. Well done to all involved. If you want to listen go vis the link above or you can go direct to the BBC site here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 7_09_2010/

Listen fron 1.34.15 onwards.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

http://www.itv.com/london/library-closures-feared38295/ is the link to London Tonight' s broadcast last night
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

I can see why library's are becoming extinct, with the rise of the INTERNET and a new bread of IT savvy kids why would you go to a stuffy old library ? (sic) There was an article on BBC London news about the Crystal Palace library being in jeopardy a while back, I think it's a shame really. The world has moved on because of this a bit like blockbusters going bankrupt in America because of the on line company's who offer a better service from the comfort of your own home.

There will be a rise in fat kids and none of them will be going to library's they'll be sat at home on their ps3's xbox's and laptops.
Last edited by CaptainCarCrash on 1 Oct 2010 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bram

Post by Bram »

Mikecg

If it's "library's'", "ps3's", "xbox's" and "company's", why not also "laptop's", "kid's" or "blockbuster's"?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Mike,

Sydenham Library is well used.

It's not being earmarked for closure because tumbleweed is blowing through it! See the video above.
Liam Curran

Post by Liam Curran »

It is worth re-stating here that Sydenham Library benefits from around 6,000 visits a month.

In this age of the Internet, many people go to the library to use the Internet access and at times it is over-subscribed. The fact remains that, for a significant number of people, buying books and gaining internet access on a regular basis is too expensive and beyond household budgets. The economic outlook is likely to mean that even more people will be in this position.

Secondly, it is striking how many young people use the library, from toddler to teenager, and this is the crucial period in young lives when they can get turned on to books and reading. Libraries act as bridges to a world of knowledge and learning, as important as the bridges that carry our railways and roads.

There are savings to be had elsewhere in the Council budget and I have requested the Mayor and Council consider these before closing down the libraries

Cllr Liam Curran
CaptainCarCrash

Bram wrote:Mikecg

If it's "library's'", "ps3's", "xbox's" and "company's", why not also "laptop's", "kid's" or "blockbuster's"?
Oh but it is.

It's just that I like to do that sort of thing to attract people like yourself to state the blinking obvious.

Pedantry always gets my vote, so well done with your answer to my post.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Look's like Mikes grammar's not a's good a's the rest of u's.
CaptainCarCrash

Sorry about the trauma of missing a few ' everybody.

It will not happen again.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Don't worry. We understood what you meant just fine and, for me, that's the true test.

I'm not a fan of the grammar police and their rules-is-rules dictatorship.

If the library gets cut they'll be little hope for heathen upstarts like me!
CaptainCarCrash

digime2007 wrote:Don't worry. We understood what you meant just fine and, for me, that's the true test.

I'm not a fan of the grammar police and their rules-is-rules dictatorship.

If the library gets cut they'll be little hope for heathen upstarts like me!

Where will it leave people like me? there'll be ill-educated semi illiterate oiks all over Sydenham.

Oh hang on a minute....
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Saturday 9 October, 11am – 1pm. It’s *Party Time* again outside Sydenham
Library as part of Children’s Book Reading Week with a raffle and book
giveaways and games for the children. Bring tea and cake to share. We hope
that some of the Sydenham traders will also be donating some food. The Cake
Store kindly donated a cake (as seen on ITV) for last Tuesday’s birthday
party, and last week there was also a generous donation of a tray of delicious
jerk chicken from Cummin Up, the Caribbean takeaway opposite Library.