What happened to local candidates?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mummycat

What happened to local candidates?

Post by mummycat »

I really was surprised that none of the Lib Dems standing for Sydenham Ward actually lived in SE26. There was a Green candidate in SW17 and Tory in SE14. How could these people possibly care about us? OK, so there was Alex Feakes girlfriend, so I suppose she reads the Syd Soc newsletter from time to time!

Hopefully this election will revive an interest in Politics and produce a better selection of passionate candidates next time....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The turnout was quite low overall compared to previous years and the opinion polls were generally way way way off.

Did all the scare mongering of a hung parliament scare people to voting tactically?

Anyway, yes, I too was puzzled about the 'local' selection of candidates for the council. What were the other parties thinking?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

The absence of the Lib Dems in Sydenham ward was very disappointing.

As for the Greens and Tories, it seems they were scratching around for candidates until the very last minute, hence seeking further afield.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

leenewham wrote:The turnout was quite low overall compared to previous years and the opinion polls were generally way way way off.

Did all the scare mongering of a hung parliament scare people to voting tactically?

Anyway, yes, I too was puzzled about the 'local' selection of candidates for the council. What were the other parties thinking?
Actually Lee the polls were spot on and a hung parliament is on the cards.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I meant the opinion polls, not the exit polls...I should have clarified.
Psi

Post by Psi »

mummycat wrote:The absence of the Lib Dems in Sydenham ward was very disappointing.

As for the Greens and Tories, it seems they were scratching around for candidates until the very last minute, hence seeking further afield.
Perhaps all the Lib Dems in SE26 are too busy, I would hope that parties would select candidates who were interested and would do a good job. I don't know if any of the local candidates were any good as the General election overshadowed the local election, it appears the parties didn't provide any info on the local candidates.