Urban fox friend or foe?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Last night I heard a noise in the garden and I go out to investigate, to find that a fox is running round next doors garden like mad, attempting to get under our fence every so often. I bang on the fence loudly several times, and it runs off. This morning I awake to find a dead fox on our lawn. Presumably it's the same on. It had been bitten on the back, but had it's mouth and eyes open.

I've moved it onto the compost heap for now, but what should one do with a dead fox?
do they compost well?
should it just be buried?
is there a necesity to tell anyone? (RSPCA, Vet, DEFRA...?)
Are they infectious? do they carry infectious diseases?

is there a taxidermist who wants it?
does anyone want the head or tail (for other reasons?) - or is it too late now to skin it for the fur? (which wasn't that great)
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Pity you described it so well, you could have lobbed it over the fence.
Search East

Post by Search East »

JRobinson wrote:is there a necesity to tell anyone? (RSPCA, Vet, DEFRA...?)
Are they infectious? do they carry infectious diseases?
I'd call the council to find out. There maybe health concerns with a decomposing fox, let alone other animals snacking on it! :?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The last time I found a dead fox outside my house I called the council and they came and picked it up. Not sure if they do the same if it's on your property.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

the council will collect it, if it's on publicly accessible space, which it isn't. my wife wants to just put it in the bin, I think I'll skin it and make a pair of gloves or a hat (and bury the rest).

[edit to add] - I got in last night, dug a whole in the back yard, about 2 feet deep and buried it. Then I was informed that it would decompose and smell, and attract other foxes to dig it up again...
so I'll now wait and see what happens.
SLCSE26

Re: Urban fox friend or foe?

Post by SLCSE26 »

A fox has been coming in to my house through the cat flap and has managed to cause £500 worth of damage. Having returned from my parents for Christmas they have ripped up leather bags,shoes,boots,cushions,bath mats and even my bedding - shredding my duvet cover and pillows. When I first came in I thought I had been burgled! I feel so sorry for the cat who hardly leaves the house and must have been terrified! I had left a cat food feeder on timer to feed her for 2 days but obviously I won't be using this method ever again! The foxes are a menace and really can cause an horrific amount of damage. Be warned - if you have a cat flap and the foxes find it, they will come in and rip through every room in your house! :(
alywin

Re: Urban fox friend or foe?

Post by alywin »

Have sent you a private message - hope you get it.

Sounds as though you need one of those catflaps which only responds to something on your pet's collar :(