Sunday Lunch at the Woodman, Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Sunday Lunch at the Woodman, Kirkdale

Post by ALIB »

I, and a small group of friends, went to the Woodman this lunchtime.

Gorgeous Sunday Roast for around £7 a pop. Friendly and attentive staff were there on hand to take orders and serve drinks.
When the meals came along , they were cooked and presented excellently.
And very generous portions to boot

If anyone has any gripes about the way the pub was previously run, then this is well worth a look in. I still feel bloated nearly 5 hours later.
sophie

Post by sophie »

What roast did they do? Also, is it proper meat cut off the joint or was it the really thinly slice stuff which looks reformed?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

They were doing lamb, chicken, beef and (perhaps) also pork. We didn't ask about vegetarian options.
The chicken seemed to be nearly a half chicken and the beef was definitiely cut from the joint.

I can only comment on the beef, but it was unevenly cut, with the odd vein of fat in it. Just seemed to melt in the mouth. Definitly not reformed , or the old Fray Bentos type of thing.

And the gravy was just fantastic.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Will definitely give it a go then on your recommendation!

The last sunday roast we had in a local pub was the Dulwich Woodhouse and it was dreadful with dodgy looking beef and really thin gravy.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Went in there again yesterday (just to make sure standards were being upheld).

The gravy is to die for. They won't give you the recipe, but aswell as meat juices, it contains red wine and guiness..
Meat is sourced from a well known organic butchers in the locale.

Was pleased a few more people there were enjoying their luches too.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

You can add my thumbs up for the Woodman too.

I liked the Sunday roasts at the old Woodman but was a bit worried about the addition of the pool table and boards advertising Sky football - nothing wrong with that just not the right atmosphere for me, half a chicken and a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Thankfully I gave it go and it was great.

A real shame though that the closest they come to a proper pint is John Smiths, but sadly, that seems to be a regular moan of mine in pubs these days.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Are children allowed in?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

digime2007 wrote:A real shame though that the closest they come to a proper pint is John Smiths, but sadly, that seems to be a regular moan of mine in pubs these days.
They used to have a couple of real ales on when it was first taken over. Have they decided to scrap these then or did you just get them on an off day?

I have a tendency to walk straight back out of a pub if no ale is on! :twisted:
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I scanned the bar for pumps on the way in and didn't see anything. Asked if they had any other bitter than John Smiths and they said no, it was that or Guinness.

Guess I could have missed the pumps and the ale was off but it's not exactly a huge bar.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Pool, TV Screens.........yup that gives it a bit of class and makes it stand out from the crowd !
mdr

Post by mdr »

Kids are allowed in.
Food is great. Roast and a pudding for £9.
Staff behind the bar are welcoming and friendly.
Second visit in two Sundays. It could easily become regular....
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Yep, don't write it off on the basis of the bad points. I'll be going back.

I believe strongly that we should support local places like this. It's very easy to pass them by and go to Crystal Palace or East Dulwich instead. If you try and don't like then fine but I suspect too many people don't give our local businesses a proper chance.

It's then down to businesses to listen to feedback and to grow and improve.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

But if a pub doesn't sell beer then that removes a quite fundamental reason for going in there!
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Gaz wrote:But if a pub doesn't sell beer then that removes a quite fundamental reason for going in there!
Lordy lordy !

exactly , cant believe its taken this long for someone to say it.

As for supporting local business, If a local business doesnt do or supply goods or services at a cost or in a way that I find suitable then i will not use them.

I will not use a local business just because its local.

Once bitten twice shy, twice bitten never shy again, I have learnt my lesson.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Apart from my all to often sneering comments I can't help but heap praise on the Woodman. I was a little hesitant on their re-opening/branding and they had this bizzare policy of not accepting card payments following the re-launch but that is now thankfully a thing of the past.

I have enjoyed their sunday lunches several times now and they're fantastic. The meat is indeed locally sourced and the portions would do the animal you're eating great justice in their slaughter. I'm not surprised the gravy is a closely guarded secret as I'm certain it's the key to attracting return visits.

Prior to my 5 p.m sitting at the Woodman I like to indulge in a stroll around Crystal Palace park and when I get in I like to smoke an incredibly powerful spliff to really accelerate my appetite.

I usually go for either beef or lamb and accompany the meal with a decent bottle of red.

I then spend the rest of the evening with a rather contented glow and grin about me, whilst I doze through whatever drivvle is on the box.

Support the Woodman and stuff your faces.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Gaz and GB you are right - a deal breaker is a deal breaker.

Does amaze me how some businesses around here manage to get things so wrong but, for me, The Woodman gets more things right than wrong and deserves encouragement.

Next time I'm in I'll definately make a point about the ale.
mdr

Post by mdr »

I'm not too bothered by a 'real ale' but can understand why people are attracted to a pub that sells it. It can make a big difference. I think the woodman might benefit from getting a couple of bottle conditioned beers in. Would this satisfy the real ale boffins amongst us, as well as avoiding the presumable losses if the barrel of 'old spot' isn't completely sold?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

mdr wrote:I'm not too bothered by a 'real ale' but can understand why people are attracted to a pub that sells it. It can make a big difference. I think the woodman might benefit from getting a couple of bottle conditioned beers in. Would this satisfy the real ale boffins amongst us, as well as avoiding the presumable losses if the barrel of 'old spot' isn't completely sold?
It certainly makes a difference if you like drinking real ale and don't enjoy drinking lager! If I'm stuck in somewhere without any ale on, I'd usu switch to Guiness (but then probably wouldn't return!).

I personally hardly ever drink bottled beers from a pub as (IMO) they don't taste as good as freshly pulled ale - and..! you can buy the same bottle for £1.50 outside of the pub. Although if the real ale runs out this wouldn't be a bad option to switch to. I don't think having bottles would be a pull in itself though.

One of the most annoying things is when the beer isn't kept properly or when a bad pint is served up - and real ale is a lot harder to store and serve correctly than lagers. You usually find that real ale drinkers (this makes us sound like old beardy-weardies!) get to hear about the reputation of certain pubs and would either frequent them or not based on that reputation.

Currently in Sydenham, I know that the Windmill, Dolphin and the Golden Lion serve good pints...

(and in FH: the Capitol, Dartmouth Arms and usu the All In One - the Hob is more variable).
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Just thought i'd add my tuppence worth, went to the woodman today and had a beautiful sunday lunch.

Lovely gravy fresh veg and proper meat, beef in my case. One of the best roasts i've had for a long time.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am worried if they cannot keep real ale . A pub who does not serve real ale properly will probably not be good at food either.
They are both crafts .
I am glad Thw Woodman serving good food but while they do not serve any decent ale I will stay away