WHAT IF: Our empty shops looked like this

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHAT IF: Our empty shops looked like this

Post by leenewham »

Empty shops are a blight on any high street (although sales of window polish go up).

What if owners of empty shops were encouraged to make them an asset to a high street instead of an eye sore?

It's a great opportunity to have art, local history, or simply use the building as a large ad for the shop. Everyone seems to hate those triangular boards stuck above shops saying 'shop to let' so why not do something different?

The old curtain shop currently looks like this:

So how can we take something that is a blight on the high street and turn it into something positive?

What if it looked like this:

There is an interesting article which was in the news today about the state of our high streets.

The full text of which can be found here:

http://www.brc.org.uk/details04.asp?id=1599

The main points were:

twelve per cent of town centre shops are now vacant, three times more than last autumn - but it also demonstrates that many of our high streets have been struggling for years.

Town centres need good design, making the most of heritage features or natural surroundings to create a unique sense of place. Then they must be very well maintained.

High streets need central Government backing. There must be no new property and business rate burdens and a responsible and inclusive approach from local authorities to the money they raise and spend.

Stephen Robertson British Retail Consortium Director General said: "High streets are the heart of local communities and economies – providing jobs and essential services. They are a crucial part of our national retail mix but many of them are in trouble, facing difficulties that began well before the current recession.

"Some will flourish again as the economy recovers; others have to shape a different future as customers' needs change. But that cannot be left to chance. These processes have to be actively managed by local authorities with their retailers, other businesses and residents."

View other what if's at
http://www.whatifsydenham.wordpress.com
crimson1

Post by crimson1 »

As usual, Lee, an impressive "what if" idea. :lol: :lol:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thank you.

I think the whole high street issue may be a topic in the news headlines over the next few months. Normally if one report comes out, other follow. It was quite prominent on the BBC website and I've been contacted about what if by a few different people from different areas including a newspaper which is interesting!
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

I think this could be a great way of letting potential investors know what locals would like to see in the high street.

Hopefully one day...
poppy

Post by poppy »

My husband has heard about a scheme in New York City where they are using empty shops to display work by local artists. I wonder if this could work in Sydders?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is a lot going on at the moment, but I thought I'd try an idea out here to get some initial thoughts from you all:

Further to the posting above, what do you think about me putting forward a proposal from the council for funding to do something like the above to our empty shops?

Here is an article that is worth reading:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7840421.stm

This is along the lines that Poppy was talking about it. I know we suggested it as part of the Arts festival.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sout ... 150776.stm

Putting displays in empty shops is not a new idea.

We can use them for art, to advertise the area or for articles on local history. Or all 3 ideas.

A few thousand pounds would be enough to do a few shops (depending on the amount of windows) with printed film in the windows (you can get this so it's possible to look out of the window).

Downside is that they would be temporary (although many shops stay shut for years) unless they were removable panels and could be relocated elsewhere.

Please post feedback. What do you think?

Good investment or money wasted?
lbere

Post by lbere »

Does anyone know what is going in here? Just walked past it and did not realise how big it is.

If I had the money I would open a book shop, with cafe, sadly I dont.

Would Kirkdale Books consider moving?
lbere

Post by lbere »

The removeable pannels sound a better bet, then at least it would cut the cost and should be easy to move from empty shop to empty shop. Of course if some of the shop owners took an interest in the state of the High Street they are trying to entice renters to, we could not have any empty shops.

Why not get some off our schools involved and display art and crafts from our children in the windows as well.

Some of the unused shops are so tatty looking, when they have been unused for a while, which makes the High Street look sad and unloved.