WHAT IF no5: The HSBC became a Thai Restaurant?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHAT IF no5: The HSBC became a Thai Restaurant?

Post by leenewham »

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of seeing such a prominent building lay disused for so long.

I don't know if its possible to open it as a food outlet. We have a few places to eat in the evening, but compared to some palces it' is a bit limited (sorry Barty!).

I love a good Thai, and generally I go to them in central London. The Thai restaurant near where I used to live in New Cross was incredibly busy, so what if this...

Becomes something like this...

One other thing, in the background you may notice the wall has an old advertising sign for Cobbs corner on it on the new picture. What if we could 'recreate' some of these old painted ad/murals around Sydenham for businesses past and/or present.

www.whatifsydenham.wordpress.com
Last edited by leenewham on 2 Jun 2009 17:23, edited 2 times in total.
Katebubble

Post by Katebubble »

'The Thai Pad'

Comic genius. Love it..!
:lol:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Brilliant. Somewhere else to eat. Aren't I fat enough? :?
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Lee your wanted on the kente/old chemist thread ... looks like they're up for design ideas. It's a great coffee shop .. could do with some ideas from you old chap !!!
parker

Post by parker »

Not that we didnt love 'The Deli' one, now its something along the lines of 'Kente'!
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

let's hope someone interested in investing in the area will see lee's 'what ifs' and get some ideas :-)
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Would love a quality Thai restaurant in that very spot, Lee. I go up to CP right now (Tamnaq Thai) but would much rather walk somewhere more locally. The building even has space for al fresco dining.
Psi

Post by Psi »

parker wrote:Not that we didnt love 'The Deli' one, now its something along the lines of 'Kente'!
Perhaps "The Deli" idea could be applied to the old George Proctor unit.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

id like the HSBC bank to become a bar - like the Black Cherry or EDT in E. Dulwich or Bridge House in Anerley. Outdoor seating, good beer nice food but aimed at a slightly younger crowd to The Dolphin.

I'd like the Proctor & Gamble estate agents across the road from HSBC to become a restaurant. Perhaps a 'Thai on the Corner' like E. Dulwich..?
parker

Post by parker »

jonekt wrote:id like the HSBC bank to become a bar - like the Black Cherry or EDT in E. Dulwich or Bridge House in Anerley. Outdoor seating, good beer nice food but aimed at a slightly younger crowd to The Dolphin.

I'd like the Proctor & Gamble estate agents across the road from HSBC to become a restaurant. Perhaps a 'Thai on the Corner' like E. Dulwich..?
Im pretty sure the *George Proctor Estate Agents is a bit too small for a restaurant and would probably be only big enough to use as some sort of take away, please no 'what if's' on that one!

I would like George Proctor to become some sort of stationary/card/gift shop, it seems to be a good size with big windows to advertise trendy stationary for it and is in a location that is of a good proximity to the houses making it a useful local shop that you could pick up birthday presents at the last minute and buy art supplies ...And one that doesnt look like a pound shop!

But i agree, it would be nice to see a bar at the old HSBC, it seems like a good location, bit like the old 'Box Bar' in Beckenham, but a restaurant would be best suited especially for the outdoor seating that most restaurants seem to like to have for the summer trade and the fact its one of the few large units that could fit a restaurant inside.