Lack of consideration in Crystal Palace Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
davegr

Lack of consideration in Crystal Palace Park

Post by davegr »

The weather's lovely. The blossom is out. Crystal Palace Park looks inviting. :D

But why do some individuals have such a lack of consideration for the majority enjoying the park? :?

I'm talking about you, the idiot filming yourself cracking a whip for hours, a noise that can be heard from one end of the park to the other. Do you not consider that most people sitting enjoying the park would rather not hear that? Why on earth are you doing that? :?:

I'm also talking about you, the moron racing your remote control car up and down oblivious to the racket you make with your childish obsession. :roll:

I'm also talking about you, the families that feel it necessary to cook sausages and burgers on cheapo barbecues , burning the grass, creating a dreadful stink and then leaving piles of crap when you leave. :x

Piles of crap that stay there for weeks and weeks because the park staff don't appear to think they should clean up rubbish littering the park. They just like driving round in their cars, one arm leaning out of the window, thinking they are in some kind of US cop show. I also don't understand why you aren't telling the adHoc barbecue fanatics that cooking food in the middle of the park is not allowed.

Other than that it's been a lovely day. :)
leaf

Post by leaf »

Apart from the rubbish issues....the rest just sounds like people enjoying the open space!

I cant believe anyone would object to families having BBQs in the park??

Live and let live i say :D
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Yeah whats wrong with having a BBQ and the remote control car racers have been there for years but their track next to the stadium isn't available to them at the moment so they have to make do with the car park. I go for a walk there quite regularly and I haven't noticed much rubbish.

The whip guy sounds like a bit of a tit.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Some of the rubbish is due to foxes pulling apart bags of rubbish that have been carefully piled against one of the (very few) bins.

This morning, the top site was strew with rubbish, yet again. Caused mainly by a bin shortage, no doubt.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dave
Surprised you are surprised by these anti social events. That is modern society.

I do take issue with the bbq. Apart from being a nuisance and chavvy I would have thought it was illegal to start a fire in a park.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

I don't understand the problem with barbecues in the park. As far as I'm aware it's not illegal. How is it 'chavvy'?

It's not just 'chavs' that live in flats without gardens and want to enjoy a barbecue (no matter how much the sausages cost).

I agree that not clearing up after yourself is out of order however.
leaf

Post by leaf »

What exactly is 'chavvy' about having a BBQ ????!!!!

People should be considerate and remove and dispose of their rubbish and clean up after themselves of course, most people that ive seen in CP park having BBQs use those travel metal ones anyway which have legs they stand on.

Not everyone has a garden to have a BBQ in so some will use the park.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Frangipan wrote:I don't understand the problem with barbecues in the park. As far as I'm aware it's not illegal.
I don't think BBQs are officially permitted in any London park. Whether they are tolerated, I couldn't say.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Last year I was enjoying the 1 day of sunshine we had in CP park when I spotted a man stripping off to his underwear and proceed to do press-ups and star jumps - very unsettling. I think BBQs are much more preferable.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Just surprised when someone said BBQ's in local park.
Especially after all this dry weather this is surely a fire risk.
I must admit have never seen one but just shocked that they occur.

I wonder what LBB policy is on this matter.

I appreciate that many people have not got gardens but do not feel they should be lighting bbq's in public park.

Perhaps I will mail LBB to ask policy.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

As far as I was aware, it is only the Royal Parks that have banned barbeques.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

each local authority is allowed to set its own bylaws regarding parks. Wandsworth even have its own police-force to enforce them. The london borough of Bromley's park bylaws make no mention of BBQs or lighting fires...therefore I'd imagine it's legal to BBQ in the park so long as you don't litter or damage the grass.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Scum.
Sub-human scum.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nasaroc
I just thought common sense as potential fire risk especially with the dryweather we have been having recently. Also not everyopne wants to smell other peoples burning meat . Might be especially a problem for our Muslim and Jewish friends.
Maybe I am old fashioned but we have kitchens will appliances called ovens for cooking

Doubt if ir would be welcomed in Santa Barbara or Ballarat at the moment , but what do I know.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

what has nasaroc got to do with anything? unless I'm going mad I can't see where he has posted on this thread.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Apologies for me slip up. No offense intended
floom

Post by floom »

Feet on benches where people have to sit is another thing. Do they do that at home?

Public behaviour gets worse and worse.

But never mind, whatever you do, the rest of the dozy public doesn't care. You could cr*p on the grass today and everyone would just gawp at you..
parker

Post by parker »

Surely you should be allowed to have a bbq in the park you have paid your taxes towards as long as you clear up afterwards, if some people dont like the smell of meat they shouldnt complain, maybe they should sit away from someone having a bbq, or isnt CPP big enough? ..And isnt it common to have bbqs outdoors in the summer instead of using your oven inside a kitchen, i really cant believe some of the nonsense on here.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Last year I was enjoying the 1 day of sunshine we had in CP park when I spotted a man stripping off to his underwear and proceed to do press-ups and star jumps - very unsettling. I think BBQs are much more preferable.
I didnt realise anyone could see me - I hope my thong wasn't too off putting.

As for 'the smell of burning meat', that sounds like someone who's really enjoying themselves in the park.

Im trying to figure out why the heck 'our Muslim and Jewish friends' (as they were so patronisingly labelled) would be upset by the smell of meat cooking. Jews and Muslims are not vegetarians you know.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Got an e mail reply from The Senior Ranger in the Park. He said BBQ's are allowed but people are asked to be considerate to others . Apparently there is a certain type of cheap BBQ which can leave a burnt patch on the grass. Although he was not happy with this as I say policy is they are permitted.

I am sure this is a generational thing. Most older people would not wish to cause upset to others with smoke , smell etc whilst younger people are often raised on me first principle.