Parent/ baby groups

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
MiniFox

Parent/ baby groups

Post by MiniFox »

Hello all

Just wondering what those new mums/ dads among you take part in locally? Most of my research suggests a lot more active groups outside of Sydenham but not much happening in Sydenham. Hoping lots of you will prove me wrong and educate me on what's out there when cub arrives...
Also, I'll be back to work fairly soon after the birth - most activities seem to take place during the day..?
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Replying to myself here, but wondering, how much interest is there in a parent/ parent to be social group for Sydenham..?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Hi MiniFox. As a first-time mum-to-be I'd definitely be interested in local groups.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Hello Nat

Well, I havent heard of one, but I'm thinking of starting one up - you can tell mine isnt born yet as only a first time mum to be would entertain the madness of starting a group and having a newborn!!!!!
Just thinking there are loads of childfriendly places round here who would be glad of the business and it seems lots of lonely mummies/ parents/ anxious mums and parents to be who want to meet new people, share concerns/ ideas. Just thinking we could get together and help ourselves. Start small, with socials in the local area in the eveing as well as the day and whatnot, but see where it takes us..
Not quite sure how to get it started, without looking like a saddo, but I have very quickly found 5 interested other mums just today so I think am on to something...
Thanks so much for replying so I dont feel like a loon posting this on here!
Sammy_McCarthy

hello

Post by Sammy_McCarthy »

hello!
i agree, i think it would be a great idea, to get local mums together as a friendship and support group, i have my first baby due on friday! and would appreciate some sort of social group! so that i dont go insane whilst on maternity leave!!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Good luck for Friday, Samantha.
RIGHT. Going to see if I can get something sorted now...
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Right. I've put my money where my mouth is (and now convinced I am indeed quite mad) and created an SE26 group. The pic and the name was the best I could do spontaneously

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...d=101528402628
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Hmmmm.. that link doesn't seem to work for me. What's the full name of the group, I'll search for it?

Sammy - best of luck for Friday!

I might be imagining it, but I thought I read something on here ages ago about Sugahill doing a mum and baby group.. not sure though.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Probably not - I've not created a group before, so I've probably made a horlicks of it!
I called it SE26 Parent Social... was feeling particularly uninspired
and yes, I am sure Yasmeen does something at the cafe, and I think there's a yummy mummy afternoon at Bridge House. I fully intend to try find out whats on so i dont go crazy!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I just searched for it but it didn't come up.... I've never created a group either, so I can't offer any suggestions for why!! It didn't come up when I just searched for groups with SE26 in the title either.

I really appreciate you trying to do this, anything that stops me going crazy has to be good! And you're right about the need to have things on in the evenings as well as I'll also be going back to work before too long.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I'll have a play and see what I've done wrong! Thanks for looking - its probably a privacy setting!
I will also be heading back to work and feeling most of the socials are (understandably pitched at daytimes only) Just think it would be good to have a mix if its possible and if I dont drive self demented being a fulltime working mum of a baby when I was the only person to fail my St John Ambulance Childcare badge...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

If nothing else it will be great to chat to other working mums - hopefully we can stop each other from going completely demented! When are you due by the way? I'm not til September, I'm currently 20wks 5days.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Exactly - I'm talking to some other Syd mums and mums to be thru netmums and quite a few are keen to meet up. everyone seems to feel the same way!
Embarrassingly, I'm only 14 weeks, so a little way behind you, due November 4th, but I've spent the last 12 weeks feeling incapable of speech much less functioning, so I think my manic organising today is making up for "lost time!"
I cant understand why this damn group isnt a public one, but its more important to get people together by whatever means necessary! I'm thinking of organising an evening get together in early June... Any ideas? For some reason, it works if you follow the link through the netmums posts (if you see what I mean)... damn you FB!

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/make ... enham.html
poppy

Post by poppy »

There are a few:
Here for Good Centre, Friday mornings on the high st next to the train station. 10am
Holy Trinity Church on Lennard Road, just past Alexandra Rec (technically Beckenham but really close) I think it is Wednesday afternoons. Probably best to call and check)
There is Power Pramming in Crystal Palace Park once a week (local NCT rep can fill you in)
One O'Clock Club, Crystal Palace Park, near the Sydenham entrance, all day five-days a week, for a small fee, I think under ones are free...
Penge Family Church used to run a group on Wednesday mornings, Green Lane junction, very friendly and supply toast and drinks for everyone for a small donation
There is also a music group run by local mums every other Thursday morning at the Venner Road community centre/hall, the high street end

But I am sure Sydenham itself could do with more groups...

Hope this helps...
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Thanks Poppy! I hope to try them all (if I get a chance before having to head back to work!)
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

The Grove Centre in Jews Walk has mother + baby groups on different mornings, as does the community hall on Sydenham Hill (the one with the martial arts sign outside). Not sure which days but worth investigating.
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

There is also the NCT as we host post natal tea for mums when babies are 6 to 8 weeks in SE. The local branch is called "beckenham and borders", to join log onto www.nct.org.uk or PM so I can add you to the list to invite (with due date)

As an active member of the committee I would love more to happen in SE26 but it is all down to getting volunteers....

However I would also recommend the power pramming, playgroup at holy trinity (and the pregnancy yoga on Weds eve) and a really nice music group that runs every other Thursday in the hall close the the old HSBC on venner road (from 6months to preschool).
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Thanks Charlie & Pip. I'd love to hear more - I'm doing my antenatal with FH branch (just as that was the branch I got a call back from) but would love to be more active locally.
mysti77

Re: Parent/ baby groups

Post by mysti77 »

Hi,

Just wondering if anything was ever started up for Sydenham? I had my baby boy a month ago and so far I've gone to the breastfeeding cafe on Wednesdays but that's all I have done. I'm not even sure what you can do with a baby so young but I'm on maternity leave until the end of the year so need to keep myself busy :)
Dotkin

Re: Parent/ baby groups

Post by Dotkin »

Hi there depending on where in Sydenham you live there are various daytime activities for babies and up to 5s

1. Sydenham Library holds a popular singing group for babies and toddlers every Tuesday which is Free. It's basically a very friendly guy with a guitar who sings and reads the children a story. We should all support Syd library as there are plans to get it closed....

2. Kelvin Grove School in Kirkdale has a toy library which has toys out to play with, a craft corner , a baby corner and does singing etc as well. I went this week and my 3 year old and tenth month old both liked it! It is a £1

3. Here for Good on Syd high street- baby and toddler group takes place every Friday in term time - baby corner there too I think

4. The Venner road hall near old HSBC as Pip mentioned in her mail earlier

5. Up on the Sydenham Hill estate they also have a toy library and singing group but I haven't been to those for a while so unsure which days they are on.

6. On Tuesday pm on Lennard Road - Holy Trinity Church hall there is a toddler group on a tues - I haven't been but friends say it is good.

7. Crystal Palace on a weds there is a brilliant playgroup behind sainsbury's next to the garden centre called the Heishima Centre - run by Barnardos - for babies - up to 5 year olds - they have a great FREE slide and ball pit which the older children love and it's very friendly.

In Penge there are great family centres run by Sure Start which are all very good and worth seeking out. I have been to Community Vision and Royston family centre which is excellent.
all these centres run fun activies for babies and under 5s in the holidays and also do a lot of great free parenting courses - baby massages etc.

Hope this helps!