The old chemists next to the old HSBC

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Raven Drone

The old chemists next to the old HSBC

Post by Raven Drone »

Anyone know what is happening here? I am thinking about posting a plea through the hoardings that they please, please, please , retain the old shop front. Do we all agree??
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It would be great to retain but depending on the new business may not be ideal.

Well remember the chemist in the 1950's Mr McCray and Mr Cooper. They were very aged then.

Any idea what business is going there. Please not a chicken shop or bookies.
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

From what I recall it is very small..and had lovely built in cupboards around the walls as well as the lovely frontage. Given that there are plenty of other vacant shops in the road I am hoping that it has been taken up by someone who wishes to take advantage of its uniqueness.
I'm guessing it won't be an estate agents :wink:
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

It's a new cafe. :D
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

mummycat...you seem to be in the know. Any idea if the shop frontage is due to stay? any more info on it would be great.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes is ist going to be a coffee shop or a cafe. A very big difference in clientelle.
Would not though big enogh for either but coffee shops can be smaller.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Another cafe?

That'll be three in the same little Venner/Silverdale/station end of the high street, plus Wimpy and the other one a bit further down.

Will there be enough trade to sustain them all? Or will they all go out of business in the current climate and leave us with more empty shops than we have now?

I'm not very au fait with planning regulations and procedures, but I wouldn't have thought another cafe anywhere on the high street, never mind so close to other cafes, would be a good idea.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

As far as I know the frontage is listed. It would be a huge shame if they did change it.

As for sustaining another cafe, if it offers something different and is of good quality...and it's a nice place to be then yes, I think it can. If it's another Semas, then no, that's already well covered.

Before anyone says anything, I've nothing against Semas at all.
Barty

Post by Barty »

And I've nothing against cafe's either! I like bacon sarnies too much, and I hate cleaning out grill pans :lol: :lol:
sophie

Post by sophie »

When we had a look round there about a year or so ago we were told that the front had to stay as it was.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The Town Centre Manager, local councillors, LBL Conservation Dept and LBL enforcement officers have all been informed that work is being carried out and have been reminded that the shop front is protected.

I agree with Lee Newham. We should welcome good quality shops even though there are others selling the same goods already in Sydenham Road. The idea is to increase takings in the high street and not regard that income as fixed. At the moment many locals simply will not use the high street because they regard it as "down at heel" and not providing the services they require. We need to change that.

A great deal of the change that is required is "cosmetic". People don't want to shop in an area that looks uncared for and unkempt - which is why the £2m Sydenham Road improvement scheme can't come soon enough. Simple changes can make a huge difference. Look at the recent improvements to Somerfield, for example. They have greatly increased their takings just by a straightforward refurbishment and reorganisation.

I have no idea what this new cafe will be like but it certainly should be welcomed, especially as it is based in a shop that's been empty for many years.
Barty

Post by Barty »

nasaroc wrote:We should welcome good quality shops even though there are others selling the same goods already in Sydenham Road.
it certainly should be welcomed, especially as it is based in a shop that's been empty for many years.
From the point of view of the customer, more choice is to be welcomed. But, think basic economics for a minute - supply and demand - another cafe without a corresponding increase in customers surely means less customers for each cafe, with an increased chance of one or more folding.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

That's correct - but only assuming the number of customers and their expenditure remains the same.

Our high street has to - and can - attract very many more customers if it is to survive. There is every indication that, with a huge increase in the mumber of passengers using the improved railway system, and a £2m refurbishment of the road that we will see a big uplift in trade.

Take an example. Crystal Palace and Lordship Lane have very many restaurants. A few years ago, someone might have said "we've got 3 or 4 more restaurants here, we don't need any more".

They'd have been wrong wouldn't they?
(Before I'm jumped on I am not saying that I want our high st to be like LL or CP. Nor am I saying that LL or CP has the correct mix - only that the amount of money spent in a high street means that many more quality businesses can be accommodated. The high street isn't "static").

That having been said, if the new "cafe" turns out to be a greasy spoon, then I take back everything I've just said!
Last edited by nasaroc on 23 Mar 2009 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I think there's enough demand for another decent cafe in Sydenham, but the owner's will have to pitch their prices to be competitive and appeal to the wide variety of customers.

I know for instance that the excellent Sugahill are considering hosting Children's parties in the afternoons - what a great idea! There's nowhere in Sydenham that provides this service, or host daytime business meetings with a little light catering thrown in.

There's nothing wrong with a little competition....
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I like Sugarhill but does anyone know their Sunday opening policy.

3 times recently have had to go to the inferior Blue Mountain ( chairs not comfortable and staff more snooty ).
I could not see a sign about opening hours . If they do not open for religious reasons no problem.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I have seen Sugahill open on Sundays in the past but not for a while. I suspect that they maybe weren't busy enough to warrant opening bearing in mind that Yasmin is there every day. Not sure though so don't quote me!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Sophie
It is the uncertantity. Guess I need to ask her .
parker

Post by parker »

Oh wow, how lucky would we be if only it was a Starbucks or Caffe Nero, that would raise the house prices :D , i think businesses like that should come to Sydenham what with the new overground tube system opening in June next year, hopefully a new clientelle will reside in Sydenham.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

A starbucks or a Cafe Neros - you must be joking!

As a friend of someone who works in the coffee industry I have been told that such chains coffee is rubbish (allegedely the beans they buy are what everyone else doesn't want, then they sell for maximum profit) and usually the service in such places is tripe. I thought we wanted Sydenham to remain local, not turn into the United States of Generica like every other hight Street, next someone will be saying they'd like the HSBC to be a Macdonalds!

Rant over...

G-Man
Andwar

New Business

Post by Andwar »

In regard to the old chemists next to the HSBC building. I would love to see the original interior retained. We lose to much heritage to modern developers and business.

I had an idea last year to turn the HSBC building into a quality wine merchants and deli with a brassiere in the evenings keeping the basement as a wine cellar. Having an advanced diploma in wine from WSET would have put me in a good position to offer something different than the cheap less than a fiver bottles.

The trouble is the cost and how to raise the funds in these troubled times. So I have shelved the idea for the present time and will wait for better times ahead and raise the cash from private investors.