The old chemists next to the old HSBC

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The signage is another 'what if' coming soon!

I had a discussion with someone from the council about this and it is possible and they are loooking into it. Any talk about corporate guidelines from the council is bullsh*t. They can make the signs whatever they want. I suggested enamel signs as opposed to plastic as they last longer, age better and don't fade like the ones we currently have in that horrible lewisham big brother corporate blue.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

As far as I can see they don't make those blue signs anymore. They are just black type on a white background. They just put a new one on my street.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
I agree the Bromley green looks much better,I really dislike the Lewisham blue.

The flowers should be put back on that terrible roundabout.
It used to look so nice full of seasonal flowers.
parker

Post by parker »

Well im liberated we all agree on something :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The new shop, which i still boarded up, is called 'KENTE'.

They have a new sign up which is plastic with bright yellow type on a dark blue background.

It's horrible.

Hopefully when we see it all together with the beautifully restored shop front it will be a great addition to the high street. But first impressions are not good! fingers crossed.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

It could be worse - they could have called it 'Kente Kafe' perish the thought!
multisync

Post by multisync »

But what is "KENTE"
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

Could it refer to this? I have no idea.... and to a certain degree I couldn't care less about the name, the sign itself looks horrible!!! I was really upset when I saw it.

"Kente cloth, known locally as nwentoma, is a type of silk fabric made of interwoven cloth strips and is native to the country of Ghana, where it was first developed in the 12th century. It is sometimes used to make shirts." suorce: wikipedia

I just hope they haven't removed the old shop-front... as far as I know they aren't allowed to do that.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Sad to say, the original window is totally gone
Walked past this morning just as the hoardings were being removed to display a brand new frontage
Shame
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Ugh. Sounds like it's going to be a crap shop of little interest to anyone and based on some outdated notion of what Sydenham really wants and that it's still 1983 and Sydenham's demographic hasn't changed recently. So then it'll go bust like a lot of other crap shops we have. Can someone not see a pattern emerging.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's going to be a real gem of a shop - but I've got my doubts from what I've heard so far. I but the owners have done little research and will wonder why nobody is interested. I bet they don't know about the Dolphin and the Blue Mountain's (and one or two others) success. They've looked at all the other crap shops, and the depressing shop-fronts and thought, 'hey, we'll be right at home here'.

Hope I'm wrong. I'm in a bad mood. Does it show?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Does anyone actually know what type of business "Kente" is?

Not that it matters, I have no plans to spend any money there if it turns out that they've destroyed the old frontage.
parker

Post by parker »

I agree Chazza, im actually really p*ssed off about it tbh.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If they have destroyed items covered by a council preservation order then surely the council should act now.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I can't believe the old frontage has gone!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

If my google search on 'Kente' is anything to go by I think Sydenham is getting its very own African Cloth shop. I have no issues with African cloth per se, I just don't think I'm the target audience. So, if that does turn out to be the product, then that's another shop on the high street I will feel alienated from.

I think that's what it's going to be though, unless anyone knows any different?

How do you feel?

All pleased ... or secretly disappointed?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

sydenhamboy wrote:All pleased ... or secretly disappointed?
Pleased that it's not another chicken shop, disappointed that it's a shop I'll never use and very disappointed that the old frontage has been scrapped.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Let's not be too hasty - although I am also appalled that they have been allowed to take out the old shop front.

I dont suppose I am target market for African cloth either, although who knows.

You may see me on the 0740 wearing a single breasted, twin vented, bright red leopard skin printed suit.

Sydenham may well be at the forefront of a fashion revolution.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Unbelievable! I can't believe they've destroyed the old shop front an absolute travesty. I remember thinking how cool Smart Chaps was when I moved to the area, now it just looks naff. Even if the council did act, I suspect the fine will be minimal. Also, if from what people have been saying on other posts is true, Lewisham council won't give monkeys anyway.

Such a shame. I had real high hopes. It really upsets me that people don't do solid research, speak to local residents, look at local forums like this one...unbelievable. Again though, we could be proved wrong.

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm angry as hell.

It looks sh*t.

I wont use it. What a shame, with a little bit of thought and a little bit of design it could have been a really special local treasure.

How on EARTH did the council LET THIS HAPPEN?

Idiots.
sydenhamboy

actually ...

Post by sydenhamboy »

... had a sneaky peek thru the window. Think it's gonna be a cafe/coffee/sandwich bar. Didn't look tooooo bad - I will reserve judgement. I don't know why it's called that or why they've not made a more interesting shop facia or why they've got rid of the old shop front. Guess we'll wait and see. Odd about the choice of name/font etc :?

don't know. Looked a notch up from a working man's cafe though. May well be worth supporting. I'm gonna think positive.