Trains/Travel Disruption

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Barty. Did you see LB bound trains - how busy?

Admin
boon

Post by boon »

Well, the 7.32am that was planned is delayed by "11 hours 20 minutes" according to the announcement (much derisive laughter from commuters), next service at 8.02am, and the platform is already packed with people. The platform and footbridge have indeed not been cleared and are practically deathtraps.

Well done Southern.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like the 176 might be a more comfortable & gentle way to town. But expect journey times of an hour or more.

Admin
boon

Post by boon »

They're running 4-carriage trains on this route, according to the board/announcements. This is not going to be pretty when the train gets here.
Graeme&David

Post by Graeme&David »

Just heard from the other half who's currently at Sydenham station. Next train is supposed to be at 08:00, but he's been waiting since before 7:30. He also says the platform is jammed packed with people, and the next train is only 4 coaches long! He's given up and is getting the bus to Lewisham DLR as that appears to be running a normal service.
Think I will probably do the same as it looks like it will be a complete bun fight trying to get on any train at Sydenham today...
PS Latest update, train info board has just announced 8:18 is delayed by 11 hours...greeted by laughter on platform...oh dear.
poulet

Post by poulet »

I've just seen a train leaving Syd for London (7:53), not sure what time it was due but they are definitely running
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I thought I saw on the SouthEastern website that the buses would except train tickets. But that website has now gone south again. A thought if the 8.02 disappoints. The 176 is at Cobb's Corner.

Best wishes to you all on platform 1. Pretty now its snowing?

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

boon wrote:Well done Southern.
Boon, at least a service is running.

Let me ask you, if you were a member of Southern staff, would you have stood out in the snow for two hours whilst the rest of the station was shut advising anyone who turned up what was going on?

Would you have rung up your Control office to get info to pass onto an internet forum so your fellow residents could find out what was going on?

Thank you to those of you who have appreciated my updates, I hope they have been of use.

To those of you who continue to berate Southern as it tries to cope with the worst snowfall in 18 years whilst still experiencing the same problems getting its staff to work as every other company, i tell you this....you have absolutely no concept of the complexities of running a railway or the effect that these conditions have on it.

It makes me wonder why we didn't just shut the whole network down until all the snow had disappeared.
boon

Post by boon »

Barty wrote:Let me ask you, if you were a member of Southern staff, would you have stood out in the snow for two hours whilst the rest of the station was shut advising anyone who turned up what was going on?

Would you have rung up your Control office to get info to pass onto an internet forum so your fellow residents could find out what was going on?

Thank you to those of you who have appreciated my updates, I hope they have been of use.
It's not a criticism of you, it's Southern that continues to disappoint. Of course everyone is hugely appreciative of you and impressed at your efforts.
Barty wrote:To those of you who continue to berate Southern as it tries to cope with the worst snowfall in 18 years whilst still experiencing the same problems getting its staff to work as every other company, i tell you this....you have absolutely no concept of the complexities of running a railway or the effect that these conditions have on it.

It makes me wonder why we didn't just shut the whole network down until all the snow had disappeared.
Because it is the responsibility of the rail operators to provide transport under any reasonable circumstances. I appreciate that it's difficult, but that doesn't excuse the total lack of reliable or accurate communication from the company. Services may be running, but that doesn't help if you turn up at the station when they tell you to and have to wait 40 minutes with 800 other people for a train that's already overcrowded.

Least excusable is the state of platform 1 and the footbridge. Someone is going to break their neck or fall onto the rails out there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

boon wrote:It's not a criticism of you, it's Southern that continues to disappoint. Of course everyone is hugely appreciative of you and impressed at your efforts.
Ditto Barty. Its just a feeling if all the management at Southern, SouthEastern & NationalRail had shown your resolve, initiative and dedication then things would be a lot better, or at least better understood.

Please keep up the good work.

Admin
michael

Post by michael »

I got the 7:05 from FH, which turned up at 7:16, just as I arrived at the station. I got a seat and travelled into London Bridge.

At London Bridge there are no trains to Charing Cross, but you should be able to use the Jubilee Line which is running fine. 176 and 185 both appeared to be running.

I suspect this evening will not be as easy as this morning unless there are more trains - might just get a bus.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sorry about my teddys-out-the-pram moment.

I should use the information and the (perfectly valid) opinions I hear about from people on here to try and influence the way Southern works.

In my induction the trainers mentioned how there was a procedure in place to make comments and suggestions on how to improve the company.

I shall be looking into that procedure and making a few comments on the last 36 hours....you never know.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

we gave up waiting for a train and are now on the bus. Buses seem to be running well.

For anyone using the station, the side-gate on peak hill gdns is iced up and can't be opened, so you need to go round to the main entrance.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

My next door neighbour told me 10 minutes ago that he had just been down to FH station but had given up as there seemed no prospect of a train to LB for about an hour.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I got on a train from Sydenham to London Bridge this morning which arrived at Syd at around 7.15 - it wasn't busy, lots of seats and not many people on the platform. Northern Line running with no problems. I was in work by 8am.

Liz
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

boon wrote:Well, the 7.32am that was planned is delayed by "11 hours 20 minutes" according to the announcement (much derisive laughter from commuters), next service at 8.02am, and the platform is already packed with people. The platform and footbridge have indeed not been cleared and are practically deathtraps.

Well done Southern.
Brilliant quote that was... some laughter in gloomy circumstances - wonder if that's what the intention was!??? The 11-hours late 7.02am did actually turn up at 7.24am, so 11 hours was a BIT out!??? :roll:
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

The previous poster is correct when they say the bridge is a death trap - I nearly slipped down the last few steps - no attempt has been made to clear snow off the steps and this has now turned into compacted ice. Very dangerous. Be careful on those steps.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

have to wait 40 minutes with 800 other people for a train that's already overcrowded.

Least excusable is the state of platform 1 and the footbridge. Someone is going to break their neck or fall onto the rails out there.
To be fair, the train wasn't too crowded at all, I was on the (apparently 11 hours late) 7.02am and got a seat, even after leaving New Cross Gate it wasn't too packed. And it wasn't 4 carriages as it had stated on the display - thank God!!!

But I totally agree about the steps and the footbridge, that scared the life out of me this morning - I wanted to go get a cup of tea while I waited the extra half hour for my train, but didn't dare try and navigate them again, and we were locked in by that side gate (dunno why, as the one the other side was open)!??? I wouldn't be surprised if someone has actually fallen down those stairs by now... terrible!!!! :?
boon

Post by boon »

lizzie wrote:The previous poster is correct when they say the bridge is a death trap - I nearly slipped down the last few steps - no attempt has been made to clear snow off the steps and this has now turned into compacted ice. Very dangerous. Be careful on those steps.
If I was at home I'd go down there and clear them myself. Someone is seriously going to hurt themselves. I saw at least ten people slip and a couple fall on those stairs. They were all able to catch themselves or land without injury, but that may not always be the case.
boon

Post by boon »

Nickerbockers wrote:To be fair, the train wasn't too crowded at all, I was on the (apparently 11 hours late) 7.02am and got a seat, even after leaving New Cross Gate it wasn't too packed. And it wasn't 4 carriages as it had stated on the display - thank God!!!
The 7.53am (I have no idea when it was originally scheduled for) turned out to be 8 carriages, but it was still so packed that I couldn't even get my phone to my ear to take a call. It didn't help that at every station more people tried to shove their way onto the train when there wasn't even enough room for the people already there. From Brockley a large man at our doors just refused to let anyone else on, though he endured some nasty curses and pushing to do so. A general murmur of gratitude went through the tightly-packed commuters when the door finally closed.