Trains/Travel Disruption

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

admin wrote:Yes, anbody who has a view of the tracks please post in the morning the actualite.
<snip>
All I pray is that the very wet roads/pavements don't freeze tonight.

Admin
Me too, however, it looks from the weather forecast that it's going to be minus 2 tonight with a thaw not starting till tomorrow pm.

Thinking that I may have to walk to Fenchurch St tomorrow - (unfortunately) most of my managers & colleagues live Essex way with working trains or on a tube line...
Barty

Post by Barty »

Bus route 75 is now reported as running on TfL's website
Barty

Post by Barty »

....but only between Lewisham and Kirkdale
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Barty wrote:....but only between Lewisham and Kirkdale
If the trains are still not running tomorrow morning, I suppose that means at least I can get a DLR to Bank (well, I think I can :? ).

Still no update on the Southern site about chances of the line being open tomorrow...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I't looking like a 75% chance I'm going to be stuck home tomorrow again - its just looking impossible to get to Orpington. Anyone have any suggestions?
Barty

Post by Barty »

They have posted an update on the Southern website in the last few minutes.

From what I can gather, there will be a very limited service, if any, for Sydenham tomorrow.

Services to and from Caterham won't run, and services between Victoria and London Bridge won't run.

The website mentions a half-hourly service between Purley and London Bridge, but Southern Control cannot confirm where this will stop - if it calls at all stations we will have trains between Syd and London Bridge and between Syd and East Croydon (and onto Purley), but, i repeat, I can't confirm yet whether these will stop at Syd.

Southern's website also mentions a half hourly service between East Croydon and Victoria via Crystal Palace - these won't call at Syd but if anyone fancies the walk to Palace, that's an option.

The other idea is to get a 75 to Lewisham and go DLR, as per Gaz's idea, I believe the DLR is now okay.

I'll be back on fairly early tomorrow with an update.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Bensonby, Southeastern's website says they anticipate half hourly service between Charing X and Orpington calling at Lewisham, so you'llbe okay on a 75 bus then the train.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bensonby wrote:I't looking like a 75% chance I'm going to be stuck home tomorrow again - its just looking impossible to get to Orpington. Anyone have any suggestions?
Looks like lots of choices if you go here:
http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

Admin
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks again for all your help and updates, Barty & Admin (and others). It's very much appreciated as there is so much conflicting (or zero) information about.

Once again, this forum is proving to be a lifeline! :D
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barty wrote:Bensonby, Southeastern's website says they anticipate half hourly service between Charing X and Orpington calling at Lewisham, so you'llbe okay on a 75 bus then the train.
that's going to be a bundle of laughs trying to get to orpington for 0800....
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

stay in bed longer than you normally would.

enjoy the sleep in.

you can always blame the snow, and if you eventually get to work then job done.
boon

Post by boon »

Southern's website is now saying for tomorrow:
We will be running the following services:

A half hourly service between Brighton and London Victoria
A half hourly service between Purley and London Victoria via Selhurst
A half hourly service between Purley and London Bridge
A half hourly service between East Croydon and London Victoria via Crystal Palace
A half hourly service between Brighton and Seaford
A half hourly service between Bognor Regis and Gatwick Airport via the Arun Valley Line
A half hourly service between Brighton and Southampton
A half hourly service between Brighton and Portsmouth via Littlehampton
A half hourly service between Brighton and Eastbourne
An hourly service between Eastbourne and Ashford International
An hourly service between Eastbourne and Hastings
and:
There will be no services on the following lines and routes:

Tattenham branch
Caterham
Watford Junction
East Grinstead
Uckfield
Epsom to Horsham via Dorking
Epsom Downs
West Sutton to Wimbledon
Beckenham Junction
South London Lines (London Victoria to London Bridge)
Tulse Hill
Redhill to Tonbridge
Brighton to London Bridge
The question is, what's going to be happening at Sydenham?
boon

Post by boon »

Right, what I can find so far, from the journeycheck.com website for Syd -> Lon Bridge (link):
XX:45 & XX:15 Purley to London Bridge via Forest Hill -calling Purley Oaks, South Croydon, East Croydon, Norwood Jn, Sydenham, Forest Hill, Honor Oak Park, Brockley, New Cross Gate and London Bridge
Which would put it at Sydenham at 3 minutes and 33 minutes past the hour.

Note that the National Rail website doesn't reflect this, and shows what appears to be a normal service. I haven't called rail enquiries yet, but will do so fairly soon (coffee first!).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes according to this morning's update. Half hourly Purley LB stops at Sydenham. Guess you should wear pointy shoes. Anyone please confirm if you see trains stopping.

Otherwise 176, 197, 202, 75 etc are running according to TfL

Admin
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Thanks everyone... Seems like this forum is the only place to get reliable info...
As i'm nearly 8 months pregnant i think i'll stay in bed a bit longer and leave you guys to it, pointy shoes and all. Work will have to wait!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Southern refers to the NationalRail site for detail info - but NR Journeyplanner currently appears to be fiction. Suggest you ignore.

Admin
boon

Post by boon »

Can't get through to a human on rail enquiries. The "train tracker" phone service reports full service, same as the website. Nothing to do but check it out in person, I suppose.
Barty

Post by Barty »

just back from Syd station.....update coming
boon

Post by boon »

Station side gate is frozen shut, don't bother with it. Go straight round via the ticket office.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Train services are running. I'm not sure whether the half-hourly service they planned is accurate....when I was there I noticed a 20-minute gap instead of a 30 minute one between two services to Purley.

I also noticed delays to the services that are running as well.

I would say, if you need to travel, go. You will get a train, but who knows when. An improvement on yesterday, but nothing like a normal service (although some of you will say this is pretty much normal :P )

One other thing - the footbridge and the whole of Platform 1 do not appear to have been cleared of snow. These areas are going to be VERY icy as are any areas in general which were not well-trodden yesterday. Pedestrians beware.