Trains/Travel Disruption

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

admin wrote:
Just back from Syd Station. People standing hopefully around. However its obvious no attempt was made to keep the mainline clear. Snow lies untouched across the rails.

The main roads are slushy but navigable. The side roads are treacherous. The convenience stores are busy ...

Admin
I must hace just missed you. I pottered up to take a look. I'm stuck at home, work has been cancelled :( staying in and had a fry up instead :)
Barty

Post by Barty »

and this helpful information from Southeastern's site....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

EDIT - the previous useless info on Southeastern's site has now been replaced by something more informative.

Basically its similar to Southern's, a skeleton service around the coast and nothing into London.
Last edited by Barty on 2 Feb 2009 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just driven to Brixton to put someone on the Tube. Don't do it unless it is VERY essential. All the roads are unsafe. Some lethal. No evident gritting beyond the pavements. Southwark doing a brilliant job on Croxted road path upto Crystal Palace. I'm guessing we won't see buses today. And if it dumps tonight then anytime till the thaw..

Lots of people walking which is the best way to travel. Having said that the Victoria Line is running brilliantly. My passenger was in Victoria while I was still halfway back to Sydenham.

Admin
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Good old Victoria line. I used to live in Brixton and found it to be the most reliable line on the network - obviously it is helped today by being completely underground (well, apart from the depot)

I went to Syd station this morning at about 7:30 to take some photos - despite competely white tracks, notices saying that all trains were cancelled and continued snow, there were still a few people stood on the platforms hoping for a train to come along...!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

National Rail is now showing some departures from Sydenham Station. Nobody seems to have told Southern whose website denies the fact ... check the live departure board.

Penge (SouthEastern) still seems to be out.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

National Rail are now reporting trains running from Lower Sydenham.

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Southern Control 30 seconds ago advise no service in our out of London Bridge, current isolated no power to the rails.

NO service at Sydenham straight from the horse's mouth.

A handful of trains are running through Selhurst / Norbury into Victoria but not to any sort of timetable, do not rely on these trains at the moment. I would imagine these are testing to see whether it is possible to resume any sort of scheduled service.

This situation is not expected to change for some hours.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Barty - the National Rail LDD is showing a mixture of cancelled services and running services. To have no information is bad. To have conflicting information is even worse.

If anyone can see the the railway please look out for the 12.27 to LB. Is this really a ghost train?

Admin
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

thanks for the update Barty
Barty

Post by Barty »

I can't explain why National Rail Enquiries is showing any services calling at Syd, but Southern's Service Control Centre say they aren't, and I've just come back from an empty station with the ticket hall locked up and a message on the Platform 2 departure screen saying "Due to adverse weather conditons, no services are calling at this station."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Barty. I have updated TRAVEL TODAY to reflect that. I also had a grump down the pub: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3081

Am I really being unfair to the railway operators?

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

I'll post again when I get back. I'm nipping down to Syd station for a bit if anyone wants to come and say hi.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

what's the consensus there on tomorrow Barty is everything likely to be running again?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

When I checked the NR site earlier they were showing all scheduled trains from Sydenham as running on time.... ?????? Luckily I trusted my instincts and didn't attempt to get to work, but seriously - how hard is it to show correct information, or at least show information that isn't wildly inaccurate?

No idea what tomorrow will be like yet, but I certainly won't be going to NR for info!
Barty

Post by Barty »

When I spoke to work again at around 3pm, they were unable to confirm anything for certain for tomorrow.

What I have found out is that the National Rail Enquiries website is still displaying the wrong information about Southern's services. I was told that there has been contact between Southern and NRES in an attempt to resolve this, but as yet the website has not been altered.

Use the Southern website for information.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

I think I'll check here tomorrow morning before attempting to get in to work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, anbody who has a view of the tracks please post in the morning the actualite.

Just been down Sydenham Road. The snow is melting. There were 3 or 4 No75 buses but only one in service with no takers. LA Fitness was closed but Blue Mountain was just closing having been open all day. The Dolphin was heaving but I forgot my wallet.

All I pray is that the very wet roads/pavements don't freeze tonight.

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

The best I can glean tonight is that Southern aim is to run a service starting from 0530 tomorrow.

Which isn't a guarantee of anything, to be fair, just an expression of hope.

I shall do my best to update as and when possible.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Barty
Any idea on buses especially the 75 ?
Barty

Post by Barty »

The latest can be found in Admin's travel summary sticky thread or on TfL's website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... fault.html

At the moment the 75 is not on the list of routes that is currently running, but Admin's seen a few on his wanderings about.