Trains/Travel Disruption

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

*** I AM SORRY TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE 09:51 SOUTHERN SERVICE TO LONDON BRIDGE HAS BEEN DELAYED BY APPROXIMATELY 8 MINUTES. THIS IS DUE TO THE PFI INITIATIVE AND THE NEED TO MAKE PROFITS AT THE EXPENSE OF SERVICE ***
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Eeek! Sat at work, just thought I'd have a quick look to see if trains are running smoothly and it seems that there are no trains from LB to Syd..!?
Barty

Post by Barty »

Is that according to National Rail Enquiries or Southern?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Barty wrote:Is that according to National Rail Enquiries or Southern?
Nat Rail. Southern said trains going. At LB now. They're running-just all very late!
Barty

Post by Barty »

major signal problems at Victoria tonight, some services diverted to LB
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Shocking (again) at London Bridge last night, trying to get home.

When I finally got on a (massively delayed) train, it must have been one of the most packed trains I have ever been on.

Two/three days after the snow fell, and its still a struggle to provide any sort of coherent service.

Run a rail service? I doubt they could run a bath.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Perhaps you missed the post above yours?

There was a signal failure at Victoria last night which knocked out four platforms on the Southern side of the station (as opposed to the Southeastern side). At one point, trains were queueing all the way back to Thornton Heath waiting to get into Victoria.

This occurred as the service was still recovering after emergency engineering works to a broken rail near Norwood Junction and a broken down train at Battersea Park.

Angry commuters will not want to hear excuses, I fully appreciate that, if your train does not turn up at your station at the time you expect it, you have every right to feel aggrieved.

But you must understand that each of you is one commuter at one station. Southern Control must take actions that please as many commuters at as many stations as they possibly can.

All those trains queueing to get into Victoria last night arrived late. In some cases almost two hours late. If nothing is done, every other service which that train forms is also going to be two hours late.

You'd feel even more angry if, for example, your train home from work after a night out was 30 minutes late because a passenger was taken ill on a train in the morning rush hour.......

The signal failure at Vic had to be fixed. People who were able to fix it had to get to the scene. Then identify the fault. Then source the part necessary to fix it. Then fix it. Then test it. It all takes time. Its not a case of....oh no theres a signal failure....wave a magic wand and the fault is fixed and all the service miraculously returns to normal in minutes. Trains are out of place. Train drivers are out of place. Conductors are out of place.

Incidentally, signal failures and broken rails are infrastructure problems. IE NETWORK RAIL. Southern's services are only as good as the rails they run on. You don't moan at National Express when a coach gets stuck in road works....

This big long essay might help. Some of you might now just be beginning to understand what running a railway involves.

Some of you, of course, will still have the ar$e about Southern's crap service. A cross I shall just have to bear :D
Barty

SOUTHERN TRAINS DISRUPTION PREDICTED

Post by Barty »

Southern's website warns of more disruption tomorrow, Friday.

More snow is forecast across most of Southern's network overnight and tomorrow morning.

Admin, if you feel the need to recreate your Travel thread that was an excellent idea earlier in the week, what do you think? I'm not sure exactly where and how bad, not really got time to study the weather sites.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've already put a warning on the frontpage. Its now wait and see. With a bit of luck Sarf London might miss the worst.

Admin
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Looks like we might get some late Friday night if this Snowfall Map is right...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7865477.stm
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well no Ronski - that was rain/sleet. The heavy snow was being forecast for 9am today. It actually started at 7.15am. Wife has set off to test the 176. Will resurrect the travel summary thread when I have gathered some info.

EDIT: Now at http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3080
(No probs at 07:40)

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Not as bad as feared, it seems.

There's a general warning on Southern's site about taking care on stations, but no specific disruption to trains caused by the weather conditions.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

yeah all looks good (well a bit miserable)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mrs Admin got into Central London in well under an hour on the 176 and its clear there. So it looks all OK for this rush hour. It looks like the west country took the sting out of this front.

Admin