Trains/Travel Disruption

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
richpickings

Trains/Travel Disruption

Post by richpickings »

Southern's website is down. Anyone have any news about trains into London this morning?
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I was just looking here for the same info. Radio said most train companies had either stopped or were running emergency time tables. No buses are running in London either! Lots of schools closing as well.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, so is Nationalrail. At least the tfl site is working if not the buses. Looks like tubes from Brixton on the Victoria line is the only certanty at this time if you don't have hiking boots.

Admin
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

BBC have some info, doesn't look good...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/trains/
Barty

Post by Barty »

I've just spoken to work.

All Southern metro services are suspended at the moment, with no estimate of a resumption.

While the Southern and National Rail websites are down I shall attempt to keep you guys updated on this thread.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Barty. Last time there was snow we lost the Southern website. The snow was forecast as was the increased demand. Adding extra nodes is not weather restricted. If they can't even manage that how can you expect them to run a railway?

Kudos for www.tfl.gov.uk

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Chances are, the majority of staff have been unable to get to work.....bear in mind, Southern HQ is in Croydon, no trains are running, no buses are running!!! And watching a car sliding around trying to get out of Venner Road this morning, anyone witnessing similar won't be taking their cars out either!
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

thanks, Barty. I was hoping you'd log in!
Barty

Post by Barty »

First Capital Connect's website is working, amongst other things they report no service on the Sutton loop. Southern serve Sutton as well, and if FCC can't go there, I doubt Southern will.

Southeastern's website is down as well.

More as and when I discover it.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Why are Southern employing Nodes? Who are these people?

Barty, are you a Node?
Barty

Post by Barty »

I have been known to occasionally node off on the night shift if that counts..... :D

Have just come back from Sydenham station where a poor member of staff who can't get to work at London Bridge has been told by her boss to stand outside the station in the snow telling people nothing is running.

I almost felt sorry enough for her to display my staff pass and help out.

Almost :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It's the same story for Southeastern at Lower Sydenham and Sydenham Hill, no service. And no idea when it will return. I haven't seen a single bus either.

Great idea with the travel summary sticky, Admin 8)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks for your valued input Barty.

It's slightly concerning though that tfl is still reporting some trains to be running though!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Yes, when I rang work they said they'd heard that the info on TfL site and BBC could be misinterpreted.

I can confirm that no Southern Metro services running. No services are operating north of Three Bridges, near Gatwick. This info was correct as at about 0835.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just back from Syd Station. People standing hopefully around. However its obvious no attempt was made to keep the mainline clear. Snow lies untouched across the rails.

The main roads are slushy but navigable. The side roads are treacherous. The convenience stores are busy ...

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Problems began last night, and it is unlikely that any trains ran over the network through the night.

The usual practice when icy weather is forecast is to run "ghost trains" - empty trains scheduled to just run around the network, particularly known troublespots where, for example, points have frozen, or ice forms in a shady spot, so that the rails are kept warm and ice-free.

Last night, between 7pm and 11pm, there were points failures at Sutton, Selhurst, Norwood Junction, and East Croydon. Teams of track maintenance staff which would normally drive to problem sites and make repairs (or spray frozen points and rails with de-icer) were hampered by poor road conditions as was anyone who was trying to get anywhere after 10pm will know (I left work last night in Croydon at 2310 and got home at 0045).

That's probably why "no attempt was made to keep the mainline clear" :evil:
boon

Post by boon »

Hospitals send out 4wd vehicles in adverse conditions to pick up staff, regardless of how bad the roads are. I have a friend who works as a lowly clerk at a pet store who walked 4 miles to get there this morning, since if he didn't the animals would starve. Why can't train companies put in the required effort for getting required staff to work, since they're responsible for basically keeping the country running? Hell, in Switzerland they have snow like this on a weekly basis, and it's a rare event for a train to be one minute late, let alone canceled entirely.

That said, I'm enjoying sitting around the flat instead of going to work. ;)
Barty

Post by Barty »

I've started another thread in the Pub moaning about how badly we cope in crap weather.

Let's keep this one for information :)
-------------
No, this is for feedback & chatter. I'll try and keep the TRAVEL INFO SUMMARY in the sticky thread
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Boon, and to be fair to Barty, the train franchises appear to be given out on the basis of who requires the least subsidy. The cheapest operator wins. Not surprising if they have to cut corners to stay in this business. That explains simple stuff like the website.

But I'm guessing the points failures/uncleared track is National Rail's fault. And we own them, don't we?

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sorry Admin, I thought Town Hall was for serious info and the Pub and Cafe were for chatter, feedback, and TOC-bashing!

You are right, franchises are usually given out to the company who requires the least subsidy (or pays the Government the most for it). But that, surely, is down to whoever dreamt up the privatisation process, not to those who participate in it?

Untreated points, yes, this could be interpreted as Network Rail's fault. Whilst you can to a degree blame them for not being prepared enough, I have also detailed how normal procedures for this weather could not be properly executed last night.
Barty

Post by Barty »

From Southern's website, 10.47

SEVERE DISRUPTION TO TRAIN SERVICES - MONDAY 2 FEBRUARY

Due to the adverse weather conditions, Southern services on the London Metro network are suspended until further notice.

Services on the Brighton Main line are also suspended until further notice.

Southern is running a limited service on the following routes:

Bognor Regis to Gatwick Airport
Brighton to Southampton
Brighton to Portsmouth
Brighton to Eastbourne
Eastbourne to Ashford International

Passengers are advised to travel on these routes only if necessary.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you today.

We will keep you updated with regular bulletins should the situation change.
Last edited by Barty on 2 Feb 2009 10:50, edited 1 time in total.