New Tesco in Kirkdale?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

New Tesco in Kirkdale?

Post by Robin Orton »

Is there to be a new small Tesco in Kirkdale (on the corner of Dartmouth Road)? If so, what will be the effect on local businesses? Is anyone protesting?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I haven't heard anything about that - where did the rumour come from?

In all honesty, if it were true, I can't imagine lots of protests. The costcutter across the road is pretty poorly maintained and a clean, tidy shopfront (which Tesco would provide) is much needed around there. So I would think that the benefits of a small Tesco would be greater than concerns about monopolisation, competition, etc.

That said, I do quite often go into the little shop near the corner of Sydenham Park Road as they are very friendly, and they keep their shop clean and their stock fresh, so I would hate to see them suffer if a Tesco came in.

However, this is all conjecture and I will most definitely believe it when I see it!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

There is a link to the planning application below.

The application is for a Tesco Express on the ground floor of the newly built flats on the corner of Willow Way and Kirkdale (the ex premises of Oola Boola Antiques/ the upper floor flats are painted in a terracotta colour).

Obviously, we've got to wait to see what neighbours/local retailers say but this seems to me personally to be very good news. This part of Kirkdale is certainly in need of a boost and this can only help.

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=54589
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Ok, I'll stop being so cynical then! Thanks nasaroc.

I think it's very good news. I have a soft spot for the little shop I mentioned, but other than that, the local shops nearby really haven't done anything to help promote themselves in terms of their shopfronts or their stock. So in this case, I think a Tesco can only be beneficial, not only for their product range but more generally for regeneration of the area.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I'd rather not see a Tesco there. I'll try and express my objections to the planning.

It's bad enough having a Costcutter. Why not stick in a frigging Starbucks and a Pizza Express while we're at it?

It would be one more step forward towards the beige-ification of Sydenham.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Normally I'd agree with you lambchop, but I really think that small area of Sydenham is in dire need of rejuvenation. The local shops are of a very poor standard, not to mention all the empty shops, graffiti, etc.

As a general rule I'm not a fan of chain stores, but in this specific case I think that the bland consistency of Tesco will actually be very beneficial.

But, I can see we're going to get wildly differing opinions on this...
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

I can't see what the problem is. Would you rather see empty retail units instead, like the others on Kirkdale.

I'd easily rather have a Tescos than Payless or any other corner shop, Tesco's will provide a better choice of food and cheaper than Costcutters.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The arrival (if all goes well) of Tesco is good news - as per earlier comments this is a bit of a "shopping desert" and we have a long way to go before Kirkdale, and Sydenham in general turns a single shade of beige.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Well don't forget, whatever your opinion is you can make it known to Lewisham council - the email address and all details are on the link nasaroc provided: http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=54589

If you support it, don't just stay quiet and hope that it will go ahead!
sean

Post by sean »

What is it about Kirkdale that everyone wants to stop redevelopment of this area. I welcome a Tesco or at least something like Waitrose.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Waitrose , where do you think you are Virginia Water.
marianne

Post by marianne »

I agree with Sean - I look forward to Tesco's coming. The more the merrier. That part of Kirkdale is now like no man's land! Shabby horrible shops (those that are open).
sean

Post by sean »

where do you think you are Virginia Water.
That's exactly the type of thinking that holds areas back. It's the same with the high street improvements - we were all promised a new design of the high street and what they are giving us if a lackluster plan that has cost thousands to design and will hardly improve the area.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Why can't Sydenham have a Waitrose or an M&S? They will offer something different rather than more of the same. There is a broad demographic in Sydenham, from council/housing association to the recently sold1.5 million point house in Upper Sydenham.

Lets talk up sydenham for once. A waitrose does not mean that everything gets expensive.

What I wouldn't like to see is more than one Tesco in the area (although for personal reasons I refuse to shop in any Tesco). One is more than enough!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I'd rather have empty shops with the prospect of something interesting and independant going in there years later, than have a bunch of **** like Tesco open up a store there because it's seen as being better than what's there at the moment.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

As an aside, I met some relatives recently who live in a part of Surrey that is so upmarket that local residents are campaigning AGAINST plans for a Waitrose store to open in the area!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Thomas wrote:As an aside, I met some relatives recently who live in a part of Surrey that is so upmarket that local residents are campaigning AGAINST plans for a Waitrose store to open in the area!
Which just goes to prove that you will never please everyone!!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Can I please clarify .
Is it 100% that Tesco coming to the Old High Street ( now Kirkdale ) if so where.?
Or is this just a proposal.
If there is please please please no parking. I often nearly get run over by cars outside the London Rd store.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

it's just an express and I guess that it's going to be at the bottom of those new flats.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Eagle wrote:Can I please clarify .
Is it 100% that Tesco coming to the Old High Street ( now Kirkdale ) if so where.?
Or is this just a proposal.
If there is please please please no parking. I often nearly get run over by cars outside the London Rd store.
If you visit the link that nasaroc supplied in the post above you can see details - it's at planning application stage.