Lewisham to sell off 1600 SE23/SE26 homes?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Lewisham to sell off 1600 SE23/SE26 homes?

Post by admin »

A Lewisham Press Release received today had me a bit baffled. I really couldn't do a news story as I don't understand significant parts of it. Please help if you have any knowledge of this proposal, what went wrong with Chrysalis PFI, and the wishes of the people involved.

It looks to be very important to a lot of local people. Is this good or bad news?

BTW I have had some experience of issues arising from the Phoenix transfer which, in the interests of neutrality, I shall keep to myself.

Admin

>>>>>>>>>>>
Go-ahead given to look at options for stock transfers in ‘Chrysalis PFI’ area

Plans to explore stock transfer options for homes in the ‘Chrysalis PFI’ area in south east London, have been given the go-ahead by Lewisham Council.

The go-ahead was given by the Council at a meeting on 28 May, following extensive consultation with residents to explore stock transfers in three distinct areas that, together, formed the former Chrysalis PFI.

Consultation with residents began in January this year, to listen to their views about how they saw the future management and development of their homes. Staff talked to residents at a number of events and drop-in sessions. These sessions also provided closure for the PFI.

A test of opinion survey took place in March (2008). 70% of the residents who expressed a preference about how investment should be raised, supported looking further into stock transfer from the Council to a Registered Social Landlord. This was ratified at the meeting on 28 May.

Councillor Susan Wise, Cabinet Member for Customer Services, said: "Lewisham Council values the opinions and views of its residents, and we have talked extensively with those in the "Chrysalis" area and listened to their views for their homes.

“Their support for stock transfer recognises that this is a great opportunity to secure the investment needed to meet the Decent Homes Standard, which Lewisham is committed to delivering in the borough, and we look forward to continuing to work with the residents to find the best solution to deliver decent homes to them."

Lewisham Council will now look at three separate transfer areas:

o Catford South – approximately 422 tenants, 229 leaseholders
o Crofton Park, Rushey Green and Lewisham Central – approximately 851 tenants, 377 leaseholders
o Forest Hill, Sydenham and Perry Vale – approximately 1,154 tenants, 554 leaseholders.

In total, 3,587 homes will be involved across the three area transfers.

Lewisham Council will begin a period of intense consultation with residents looking at transfer options. They will be provided with more in-depth information and questions and answers to help them make an informed decision. A ballot for eligible tenants is anticipated in late 2009.

NOTES

Lewisham Council now has considerable experience in stock transfers, and has already had four other successful stock transfers where tenants have voted ‘yes’ to a Registered Social Landlord. They include:

- 1,439 homes in Grove Park due to transfer to London & Quadrant Housing Trust in 2008.

- 204 homes in Lewisham Park transferred to London & Quadrant in April 2007.

- 65 Grade II Listed Buildings on the Foreshore Estate are set to transfer to Hyde Housing following a resident’s ballot in November in 2007, after voting to proceed with stock transfer.

- 5,500 tenanted and 800 leasehold homes transferred from Lewisham Council to the Phoenix Community Housing Association in December 2007. The Phoenix Community Housing Association is the first resident-led Housing Association in London; where residents decided to follow the ‘Community Gateway Model’. The Model involves residents at the earliest possible level and enables them to take the lead in decision-making and management;

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
leaf

Post by leaf »

Speaking as someone who used to until recently live in a property in one of the concerned areas, id say its good news. long overdue [and i mean LONG] repairs and modernisation will get done under this changed management.

This has been going through for some time now and from what i recall from talking with neighbours is welcomed by most...not sure what the leaseholders think though?
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Hi

Speaking of someone who lives in a property that has Hyde Housing as a social landlord my advice is don't get your hopes up.

As a tenant I feel that my landlord takes the rent and provides no service whatsoever apart from annual gas servicing. I was shocked when they retiled the roof, must have been at least 20 years overdue for them to have done it.

From talking to friends that live in Council properties, they currently receive a better service and pay lower rent.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hyde Housing seem to have a poor reputation. Having seen recent 'repairs' done by Hyde, they certainly seem poor quality.