HELP! I have a rat in my flat

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Gaz

HELP! I have a rat in my flat

Post by Gaz »

:cry:
Got home last night and saw a brown rat in my living room. Looks like he may have come in on Sunday when I left the back-door open (but I don't know if there are any more... :( ).

I don't know what to do, so I've shut the door and he is now trapped in there (whilst I'm at work).

Does anyone know of a ratcatcher in Sydenham (urgent call-out etc) or should I call Rentokill - does anyone know how much this is gonna cost me?

Thanks for any help - as you can imagine I'm currently feeling pretty low, guilty/dirty that I have a rat (and tired!)...

Gaz
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Gaz,
Rodents have a very high metabolic rate. This means they die if they don't eat at regular intervals. Normally around 8 hours without food would finish a rat off. So,... has the rat come into your room to seek food? Ensure all food sources are removed. (dirty plates etc)
Has the rat got ready access to your room? Hole in skirting board etc.

If he has got in by mistake when a door was open, chances are (if he has no food) he will be dead on your return from work. Unless he has started nibbling furniture, carpets...

If you have no pets or children I would suggest putting rat poison down (available from all good DIY stores) and letting it do its stuff.

Alib
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

ALIB wrote:Unless he has started nibbling furniture, carpets...

If you have no pets or children I would suggest putting rat poison down (available from all good DIY stores) and letting it do its stuff.

Alib
Thanks for the reply, Alib. I had no idea that they had such a high metabolic rate. That is my concern that he may start on the wires etc though.

Think I'll take an extended lunch today, pop to the hardware store in Syd and just try to keep him contained in the living room (and hope that he doesn't cause damage...).

(Ps - the only possible hole I identified was from the drains/plumbing under the bath, it's either that or the (open) back door I think. No holes in the skirting as far as I'm aware!).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Perhaps he fell off Remy's head.

(ratatouille joke)
poppy

rat

Post by poppy »

Hi there, I am not an expert, but just thought I should warn you, in case you don't know,that rat pee is dangerous. I think it can cause blindness or something, it happened to my friend's dad. So it might be worth calling out experts as even if it is dead you may want to treat the room in some way.

My first point of call would be the council, I am sure they could help with this.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

set a trap. if it gets caught but doesn't kill it then just put it into a plastic bag and stamp on it, then in the bin.

i wouldn't waste my time with ratcatchers, rentokil or poison if it's just one rat.

don't put it outside, though, if you get one of those humane traps. kill it.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

As someone who's owned pet rats (which are much cuter than the brown wild ones, honest!!), I can tell you that rats are VERY destructive and they will chew through anything and everything including wires, furniture, etc. You definitely need to get it out ASAP.

With regards to rats pee, it's Wiles disease that you can get if you come into contact with their urine. It's only wild rats that carry it but it is quite nasty. Make sure you disinfect and wash everything that the rat could've potentially been near as they do pee little and often but you won't be able to see it.

Good luck!!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Get on the phone to the Environmental Services dept. at the council. I had a rat in my first flat in Wapping and they multiplied, nested in sofas and ate my lino, etc. Rats can give birth 100 times in a year!

The coucil have a duty to rid homes of infestations, free of charge. They'll come back at regular intervals and check for signs. Meanwhile get advice from Sydenham DIY - they're very helpful.

Good luck, I hope you don't start sleeping in tights and a sleeping bag as I did! :shock:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just back from my extended lunch! :shock:

Thanks for all the advice, guys - it's much appreciated.

The good news :?: is that he is still 'trapped' in my living room, evidently hungry and there are no signs of other rats in the flat... The bad news is that the bugger has been running all over the room, knocking things over and leaving little presents :roll:

However, I feel a bit better now after switching all the electrics off and laying traps and poison. Hopefully, when I get back tonight (with my disinfectant, gloves, bleach etc!) it will be no more...
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

unless it has mutated into a giant rat, the size of a dog.

Carniverous, hungry and waiting for you to enter the room.......
Best to go 'tooled-up', sowf lundun style.

Alib
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Gaz
If you ask nicely, maybe Mummy Cat will pop around and catch it for you.

I dare say she's not the sort of puss to play with it's blood-soaked corpse in the lounge before dropping it at your feet when you come home from work like our mog did. OK - so I shouldn't have a cat flap..............
JustMeHere

Post by JustMeHere »

I am afraid the only way you can get rid of your MP is vote him out!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'd speak to the council as rats are regarded as a pest, so are within their remit. A particular advantage is that they know what signs are to be looked for, so there might be a suspect drain or something nearby (whatever).

Re putting down rat poison, that's a bit iffy if you don't know what you're doing and where it is or isn't safe to use it. Just a thought.
maximax

Post by maximax »

has anyone ever managed to catch a rat with a trap? my own very limited experience and word of mouth say that rats don't walk into traps, too clever.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Gaz, what happened to the rat?

My parents had a corner shop in the 1930's to the 1960's in the north east of england near a river and they had rats..... ooooh the stories my mother told me.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

A couple of year's ago we returned to my mother in law's house after a night out, to find that a rat had jumped up and trapped itself in a plastic bag hanging from a chair in the kitchen.

Strangely enough we'd just been out to watch the west end play 'The Mouse Trap'.
user100

Post by user100 »

Wow, pretty mad!

But I can't understand how a rat (which would be notorious for gnawing through wood, wires, etc) couldn't fight its way out of a plastic bag!!

Reminiscent of The Pathetic Sharks!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Savvy wrote:Gaz, what happened to the rat?
I laid down traps and poison at about 3pm the day after trapping it in my living room (it had made a right mess of the room and I heard it rustling when I entered).

I didn't dare to leave work till gone 8.30pm that night...

Got some chips and ate them from the bag then plucked up the courage to check the living room. The trap had not sprung and I couldn't tell whether the poison had been eaten, I was jumpy and so just closed the door again and sat in my kitchen till midnight when I thought it was about time I'd better do something (try to flush it out to the passageway, then out the front door was my plan!).

So I started to jab under the sofa with a broom handle to scare it, but eventually the handle hit something 'soft' - it looked dead. I hooked it out and it looked like it hadn't long been dead at all. I'm not sure if it was the poison or whether it had simply starved (as suggested above by Alib). Safely disposed off; the great clean-up began...

I'm still not sure whether he got in through the open back door last weekend, or an opening leading to the understairs 'meter' cupboard or an opening leading to the back of my kitchen sink; it looks like he ran beneath the floorboards between these two points. Needless to say, I've now got spring traps blocking the possible sink rat-run, a spring-trap in the cupboard and I'm keeping all doors closed - and so far, no new signs of any rats (although my ears have become super-sensitive at night which makes me jumpy!).

Once again, thanks for the advice and support, guys. Fingers crossed I don't ever have to deal with a rat ever again - it was not a pleasant experience at all!