Oyster Card introduction shut station gates

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Weeble

Re: Gate roulette

Post by Weeble »

the_raff wrote:One of them stayed behind to discuss the situation, telling me (ahem) that it was nothing to do with tickets or anything like that, but just to stop vandalism and people drinking wine on the platform etc. Gosh - I must have missed this dreadful display of vulgarity in my years here in Sydenham, but it must have been going on.
And *of course* most of this wine drinking and vandalism occurs in the hours when the station is manned during the day, and not at night, when the gates have to be left open anyway.

I'd imagine it's mostly caused by commuters which is clearly why the gate need to be closed at the busiest time of day. Yes, thinking about it only yesterday I saw someone necking a bottle of Blue Nun whilst waiting for the 8.33!

:roll:

She said the new gates will be in by January because Lewisham council have given the planning permission.
Well that sounds promising but I'll believe it when it's uttered by someone who hasn't just said the gates have been closed to deter 'wine drinking'. hmm....
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

[/quote]
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

...at it again...
someone necking a bottle of Blue Nun whilst waiting for the 8.33!
:oops: sorry, was afraid I'd spill it on the train :oops:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I had to travel through Forest Hill yesterday as I picked up a parcel at the sorting office... they have just closed the barriers there too...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This, AFAIR, has been the longest and most read topic on STF. I'm closing it now. Its not the end. But it could be the beginning of the end.

Its showdown time for the railway. See and commen here: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16914

Admin