Oyster Card introduction shut station gates

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Is there any way that at least some of the concerns of local residents could be addressed whilst keeping the gate open? For example by restricting parking and arranging for more litter collection?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Firstly I would like to thank Tasha for supporting the points I made in my earlier post. It is good to hear other immediate residents having the same concerns about their quality of life deteriorating since the gate to platform 1 has been opened.

To the comment made by Castiron73 about nimbyism - yes and so what? I am allowed my views as much as anyone else, especially when it involves my quality of life. Also another point about disregarding the needs of the disabled - well actually I have a disability myself but the points I made earlier are more important. I dont actually see hoards of people in wheel chairs queueing up to get through the gate there. I think it is more about those too lazy to walk round to the station rather than any real concern for the disabled.

I have also proved a point that the Sydenham Society are biased, are not prepared to see things from both sides - not a peep out of Nasaroc save bleating on about leafleting the gate on Tuesday. Why not take the time to ask a few living in the immediate locality if they want the gate kept open? The truth is they dont care about any of the points I have raised - they are on another Sydenham Society mission representing nobody else but themselves.
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

Well...

I HAVE NEVER KNOWN ONE AREA TO MOAN SO MUCH AS SE26...GOOD GOD!!

I do not leave near to Sydenham station, however I do agree with gillyjp and here is why....

I can remember for years this gate was shut and everybody had to use the main station entrance, yes it may have been a pain to some but that was the way it was. Now it is open on a daily basis it has become just a point of easiness and that is all it is.

When the gate was shut all them years I know for a fact that some wheelchair users were directed to Forest Hill station for easy access and come on it's not that far. We never had people trying to leaflet the area then about opening the gate, so why all the fuss now!!! People have just got used to the gate being open.....

If the bridge is that much of a problem then the 112, 312, 176 can take you Forest Hill Station where you happily just walk through the door. You may find my comments a little harsh, but let's leave the drama to the BBC.

Gaz
poppy

Oyster, closure of gate

Post by poppy »

That would actually cost more money you know! Unless you have a travel card, an extra £1 on the bus with a prepay Oyster of £2 without. When you just want to get to London Bridge with your kids in pushchairs the return fair from Sydenham is about £3.50, why should parents on a day out have to pay more?

Also to local residents, anyone who lives on a street off the high street has trouble parking outside their house some of the time. I have often had to make multiple trips, covering quite a distance, to carry a child and heavy bags of shopping to my front door, so you are not the only ones!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Call me stupid, but I dont get the revenue protection argument. If all stations are going to have gates and you have to present your card at London Bridge , then exactly how much revenue protection is the side gate closing going to protect..? Can they not just install a card reader that side of the platform..? Or an additional wide-access gate..? Am I being naieve?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Mini Fox - No you aren't being naive. The point you make is exactly the one we are making to Southern Rail. A card reader at the gate would enable Oyster card holders to register the start/end of their journey and it would be 'self policing - if a passenger doesn't register their card at both the beginning and end of their journey, they are charged full fare.

We meet Southern and TFL at a 'Higher Stations' meeting tomorrow morning in Catford where we can continue our argument to ensure that the gate remains open.

Excellent meeting with the Tewkesbury Lodge Residents' Association yesterday afternoon who fully support our campaign to keep gates at FH and Sydenham open.

Many thanks to all of you who have volunteered to leaflet the station. Love to hear from anyone else who cannot make morning leafleting but could leaflet in the early evening to homecoming commuters.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Personally, I find the decision baffling. It's hardly an epic task, surely, even more so when viewed alongside the costs of ELL extension
I'm not disabled either, but it makes a heap of difference when you have a ton of things to carry/ luggage
I cant imagine what it must be like with children and buggies etc, getting over that bridge
I sympathise with the residents of PHG. But I dont think the answer to the lack of etiquette and consideration is closing the side gate... It cant cost too much to put some metal cigarette-butt containers there, surely? (for a start)
adrian

Post by adrian »

gillyjp/DigitalFX

Not only is equal access to transport supposed to be a legal right now (though with enough get-out clauses to let people feel they can get away with this evidently). A lot of people with wheelchairs or pushchairs don't go on journeys because the sheer number of obstacles makes it impossible so which is why you may not see hordes of wheelchair-bound people coming through this gate. That does not mean that progress should go in a negative direction for no good reason.

In my line of work when designing a building we have to ensure that an accessible entrance is at the front as part of the main entrance, not an evidently 2nd class entrance round the back with a sign saying 'Come on, it's not that far! Stop moaning!' To assert that Forest Hill is not that far for someone for whom the very act of attempting a trip into London is a challenge enough, or even for a parent trying to have the odd outing without breaking their back in the process is unbelievable in this day and age.

Personally, I would be quite happy, as a fall back, for there to be a callpoint for people with a genuine need to gain access, though I don't have confidence that staff would pay any attention to it.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

adrian wrote:gillyjp/DigitalFX
To assert that Forest Hill is not that far for someone for whom the very act of attempting a trip into London is a challenge enough, or even for a parent trying to have the odd outing without breaking their back in the process is unbelievable in this day and age.
Utterly well said
I cant imagine getting to the side gate in a wheelchair via PHG is all that easy, either, come to think of it
I read that the side gate at Forest Hill is to close too
What kind of half-a***d solution (by Network Rail)...?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I don't have much faith in a call point system working in practice.

6 years ago, I once ventured out on the tube with a small baby in pram, having phoned TfL to check first that I could access all changeover and destination stations. I was marooned at Holloway Road, on the platform after all the other passengers had left - there were about 20 steps to get the lifts. I called on the call point for help, but was rudely told, "Nobody can help you, we're short staffed". I had to rely on the next tube arriving and asking for help. Not something I'd like to do again.....

I then moved to Sydenham and never dared take the train with toddler and another baby in tow, unless Daddycat was present.
This was simply because of lack of access.

I'm a big fan of the railways, but unfortunately the closed gate on platform 1 encorouaged me to drive more to visit relatives, shop, etc.

Has anybody thought of contacting The Green Party? Maybe Darren Johnson will back us, living in Brockley? Surely he is keen on supporting the ELLX and the increase in public transport passengers? And so close to elections...! :wink:
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

"Nobody can help you, we're short staffed"
I am in absolutely no doubt that the above will become an oft heard phrase by those who need to use the call facility if that is the way we go. However, devil's advocate, if we have one of those oyster card gates (like the ones at London Bridge), aren't these too small for wheelchairs and buggies nonetheless?
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Hey Raymondus
There are wider gates at Canary Wharf, in some exit areas, for disabled access/ exit

I just cannot get my head around the fact, in this day and age, that Network Rail consider this acceptable,
Isnt disabled access a point of law now?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I can see the argument from both sides, but also, if this gate were to shut, what if some incident took place on platform 1, are we all to run and fall up the stairs over to the other platform or along the tracks, rather than to the nearest (safest) exit point? I would have thought that for safety reasons this gate ought very much to be kept open. Just a point. I have signed the petition in any event.
Anne Burbidge

Gate on Platform 1 at Sydenham

Post by Anne Burbidge »

I was horrified to hear this is being closed. I emailed Southern Railway this was their reply:-.

Dear Miss Burbidge

Thank you for your Webform.

I can understand your concerns regarding access at Sydenham Station but I can confirm the gate is not being closed off, it will be remotely managed from the ticket office and will be opened for people who require level access. This is in line with the gating of the station that will ensure greater security within the station boundary limits.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to write to me at the above address.

Regards

Glenn Ford
Southern Customer Services

I can't see how it would work do we have to walk to platform 2 to ask them to open the gate - will they have time in the rush hour - this is unacceptable discrimination against the disabled
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

DigitalFX wrote:Well...

I HAVE NEVER KNOWN ONE AREA TO MOAN SO MUCH AS SE26...GOOD GOD!!
HAHAH handbags at 10 paces!!
MissDee

Post by MissDee »

It is really unacceptable.
I dont see it going to work with a gate that will be operated by the staff...I am sorry to say that the staff at the station is 9 out of 10 times very rude and unhelpful, I am always trying to give it a good start with being polite and friendly but I always get a short / rude reply anyway. :?
Tim Lund

Platform 1 Petition

Post by Tim Lund »

Thank you every one for signing this petition, and just in case you've not seen the story in the front page, here is the link to it http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_oystercard_gate_2.html and here is a link to the on line petition directly http://www.gopetition.com/online/18722.html
Anne Burbidge

Post by Anne Burbidge »

Further to the information I added earlier today I have now also been told by Southern that:-

Thank you for your reply.

The CCTV & intercom will be also linked into our main control centre which is manned 24/7 so there will always be someone to open the gate for customers.

I have also been assured that while the works are in progress the gate will be keep unlocked and only until the systems I described are up and working will the gates be locked.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact.

Regards

Glenn Ford
Southern Customer Services

Can I suggest you also email him so that they know how people feel about this the email address is comments@southernrailway.com

I am still not convinced that it will change things but ......
dickp

Post by dickp »

Ok, so if they let you in at the gate.

there's no oyster reader, you can't touch in.

So what do you do - pay the fine at the other end, or cross the bridge to pay???

dufus.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Having written to the Mayor, TfL, GLA, Southern and Boris back in March, I got a reply from TfL today, apologising for the delay due to a large volume of correspondence recently :D I'm not sure it adds anything, but here it is for your information
TfL wrote:TfL would like these stations to be gated and to retain the side entrances. The aim for gating the stations is to improve customer security and reduce the levels of fraud. The option of having a remotely activated gate at Sydenham Station retains level access to the upside platform (Platform 1). We understand there would be issues with this gating as it would involve land take outside the station boundary.

When TfL assumes responsibility for the stations, we will look at a gateline for the upside platform (Platform 1) entrance."
The only other reply I've had was from Boris thanking me for my support and missing the point completely :shock::?: