Closure of Lewisham A&E

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
poppy

Closure of Lewisham A&E

Post by poppy »

I don't know if any of you are aware of this but I have just looked at a residents' letter from the Mayor of Lewisham and apparently there are proposals afoot to close Lewisham A&E, the children's hospital and the maternity unit. I haven't looked at web link yet, but it seems from the letter that they will be expecting people from round here to travel to Orpington for emergencies etc.
www.apictureofhealth.nhs.uk
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

hjhj
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

The council agreed the following motion moved by Cllr Maines and seconded by Cllr Milton in January by 25 votes to nil with 27 abstentions:
“This Council notes that the reliance on PFI projects in the NHS has saddled the local health economy with debts of over £200 million and substantial cuts are now planned to address this funding crisis.

All the options in the “Picture of Health” cuts package currently out for consultation will lead to a reduction of services in Lewisham. In particular, the borough could lose in-patient maternity services, lose the A&E department and see the excellent Children’s Hospital within Lewisham closed. The Council further notes that all the “Picture of Health” proposals are totally reliant on more emergency ambulances and a considerable increase in travel by patients and their families around the already congested South East London area.

Council invites the Mayor to join with interested parties and condemn the
proposed cuts in the borough's health services, calls on the Mayor and Council to do all in their power to prevent the closure of the full A & E department and asks the Mayor to respond to the consultation on behalf of the borough arguing against the reduction of hospital services in Lewisham.”
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I live in Upper Sydenham and have never been to the Lewisham hospital. Have to admit i find Kings College hospital far easier to get to, a 176 bus ride from Kirkdale and it does it in about 20mins. Far closer than the Bromley hospital
Monica

Post by Monica »

Well, then, I guess you're alright then Sydenham man. Worries over everyone, let's not bother.
poppy

Lewisham hospital

Post by poppy »

Yes, I thought I should alert you all asap, because of the near deadline even though I haven't had time to look into it myself...

The Mayor points out in his letter that most people in LB of Lewisham would identify more with Kings and Guys than other hospitals discussed in the consultation. I think he is highlighting this because I don't think the impact of Lewisham closures on their services have been considered.

I really like Kings and it would be ok to get to for those of us in Sydenham and Forest Hill, those in the north of the borough may already go to Guys (which is a very good hospital too I believe). I don't know how far the Greenwich hospital (is it Queen Elizabeth?) is for people in Lewisham and Blackheath, though or how good it is.

What worries me is whether the impact on these hospitals has been considered because I can't see many of us travelling into Kent so it would be a substantial extra work load for them! I wouldn't want me or my family to be ferried off to Kent in an emergency, Orprington, for example, is just too far away and has a dreadful record. Visiting sick relatives would be extra stressful too.

Lewisham hospital has always looked incredibly busy whenever I have been there.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Poppy, I couldn't agree more. I have no doubt that other hospitals in the area serve their communities as best as they can, but they will inevitably suffer with thousands of more people, who would ordinarily go to Lewisham, pouring through their doors.

For those of us with children, it is particularly dismaying. I have always found the Children's A&E at Lewisham brilliant - I can't believe the volume of work they cope with and they have always been patient, understanding and as efficient as they possibly can be. I'm horrified at the idea that this could all be gone.
Jules

Post by Jules »

This is very concerning. Lewisham A&E is vital to Sydenham residence.

My Father lives in Upper Sydenham too, but the two occassions he's been rushed into hospital by ambulance, he was taken to Lewisham and was treated immediately.

I hate to think what will happen if Lewisham A&E close.
poppy

Lewisham hospital

Post by poppy »

If we had a proper local newspaper for this area they would campaigning against these closures I am sure.

I can't believe it has been kept so quiet. You would imagine it would have come up at the Sydenham assembly but I haven't seen that reported. Surely forums like this are ideal for informing the local community and looking for feedback - why wasn't this done, I wonder?

Is the Sydenham Society aware of this and have they reponded in any way? I have seen no mention of it in their newsletters.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Well, closing the A&E at Lewisham would leave me speechless. Please see following 10 pages of ranting. I was naively thinking this couldn't happen, but after reading this thread...
Jules

Post by Jules »

I've just been to Lewisham Hospital as my father was taken in this morning by ambulance.
I spoke to one of the nurses and she confirmed the closure of the A&E, she reckoned it will close in about 4 or 5 years. I asked where my father would be taken instead, as it is inevitable he will be taken in again. She seems to think he would be taken to either Farnborough or St Mary's in Sidcup, I was shocked. She said it wouldn't be Kings as it's outside the borough, and the borough taking part in this reconstruction are Lewisham, Bromley, Bexley and Greenwich.
My father is now really upset by this news as his wife would have a nightmare getting to any hospital in these areas.
The nurse also said they'd (the nurses) had been asked to sign a petition, but as "they" have already made up thier mind, it's pretty pointless.
simon

Post by simon »

There has been consultaion already, apparently! And we've all had a letter from Sir Steve as well.

Appears that Sidcup are ahead of the game on this issue.

Story here:

http://tinyurl.com/34tmnu

Incidently, I recieved my copy of Sydenham & Forest Hill Life this morning and there was no mention of this or the fact that the closing date for submissions to apictureofhealth.nhs.uk (am alone in feeling the iroy here?) is April 7th.

Get submitting!
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

It looks like a cover-up to me.

Why are all the Councillors quiet? Jim Dowd MP?

Labour don't want to admit the NHS is failing us!

I had a chat to Alex Feakes (Forest Hill - Lib Dem) and he is urging everyone to vote for option 2. Although this is the most expensive option, but the safest. He said it was too late to add copy in his newsletter in January.
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

"LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE" is the front page headline of the Mercury.

The paper is backing moves to save Lewisham's A&E.

According to the paper the hospital's blood lab could move to King's, and an A&E department cannot operate without such a lab as reserves are required for emergency surgery.

Re pressure on other hospitals, it is reported St. Thomas's have already prepared plans if Lewisham's A&E closes.

There is to be a march at 11am from All Saints Church, Blackheath to the Hospital on Saturday March 29.
poppy

Closure of Lewisham A&E

Post by poppy »

Does anyone have any contacts at BBC London or South London Press about this?
Lewisham is an inner London borough, with close links to Southwark. Why on earth they are trying to lump us in with Kent is beyond me.
Is no one concerned about the children's service? The kids A&E is lovely too. If my kids are sick I cetainly would feel very unhappy with them being in Farnborough or Sidcup and not close to me.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi. Re BBC contacts, you could send an email to: gareth.furby at bbc.co.uk

(Edit: his email addy appears as a link which will try to open your email facility so you can send a message. In other words, it's not a link to a webpage.)

He's a roving reporter with camera who does 2 or 3 minute slots on the daily lunchtime and evening local news programmes. Against the background subject, he'll probably want to interview someone(s) on camera who expresses cogent views, though of course it's up to him if he wants to cover it and how he wants to handle it.
poppy

Lewisham hospital

Post by poppy »

It would probably be best to send him details of the person/people leading the march from Blackheath. Maybe they could cover the march. Someone gave details earlier maybe they could email this reporter with them?
sean

Post by sean »

At the moment it's not really a story. Because from a news point of view what are you fighting - a consultation? The story will become news worth when the consultation is finished and the findings then announce the closure - then there is a news story as it's actually going to happen and a fight can begin. At the moment the story would be that residents are fighting a closure when the hospital would turn around and say that it's not closing it - that it's just a consultation (even if they do indent to closure it in future).
poppy

Lewisham hospital

Post by poppy »

Of course it's a story. I am a journalist and I have covered proposals to close hospitals and propsed mergers etc before. Lewisham hosptial is under threat - that is a story.
poppy

Lewisham hospital

Post by poppy »

Just found this: http://tinyurl.com/2jbcbo

So some 'local' news hounds are on to it at least