Closure of Lewisham A&E

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

In addition here is another newspaper report detailing the march and campaign against possible closure.
sean

Post by sean »

poppy why don't you write an article and get it published.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry for my slow response to this story. I was rather busy over the weekend helping my daughter. An obligation I might have escaped if there had been no A&E in Lewisham 20 years ago.

So it is a bit personal for me. I aplogise if that shows too much in an article I have placed here: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_lewisha ... osure.html

I shall be following the debate here with special interest. Let me know if I should be doing more.

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

sean, I'm inclined to agree with poppy that the story is that people are up in arms about the prospect. By the converse, it would be non-news once the decision has been made with finality, as at that point it's history - if you see what I mean.

I vaguely recall the massive outcry re the hospital at Smithfield - but I'm not sure that outcome means we are just meant to sit back now cos they'll do it anyway. I hope the media continues to take an interest as closing an A&E in a traffic congested part of London sending peeps "yonder" on 15 mile journeys is a nonsense in my book (especially children where time can be critical). The same is happening Ooop Norff where they're intending to close Bridlington to tell people to go to Scarborough. An emergency dash on that route would be a joke. I guess it's happening everywhere so the more media coverage the better, methinks. Well, the poll tax (roof tax?) rebellion had effect. Maybe national news should be made more aware/
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

I think it is a shame that this hospital is closing and our nearest A&E will be all the way in Bromley or sidcup.

Lewisham A&E is a very good hospital have been in there many a time over the years and have never had any problems. I think its a shame the Lewisham is loosing such a great hospital. we lost Sydenham chilrens Hospital many years ago for them to build tacky flats on them.

I think its a shame that we are losing our local hospitals. What happens when we are really ill and have to travel miles to get seen???

Anyone else share my views?? :(
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

g
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

I read in the New Shopper that Bromley maternity was turning away people as it was overcrowded what are they going to do when Lewisham closes it Maternity Unit?

As i no people have had far more better experience in Lewisham then they did in bromley I think its sad.
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

The Mercury which is running a campaign to "Save Our A&E" reports on its front page that hundreds of people are due to protest this Saturday 29th March against cuts.

Protesters will march from Blackheath to Ladywell Fields at the rear of Lewisham Hospital. The Mayor of Lewisham is expected to join the gathering.

The march is organised by the Greenwich & Lewisham pensioners' forum, backed by the Mercury. It will begin 10:30am at All Saints' Church, Blackheath and go via Belmont Hill, Lewis Grove and Lewisham High St passed Lewisham Hospital to a rally in Ladywell Fields.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There was a snippet on BBC2's Daily Politics started 12 noon today (Monday 31st) about Lewisham Hospital. It might be possible to watch it via iplayer, but it's not on there yet.
bigphil1982

Post by bigphil1982 »

If anybody knows of any other protests against the closure please let me know, I've been admitted with Asthma about 5 times a year since birth and the thought of it closing is scary.

In the event of it closing I have already put in a transfer request to move to Orpington, nearer to a Hospital with an A&E dept.
mosy

Post by mosy »

bigphil1982 wrote:If anybody knows of any other protests against the closure please let me know, I've been admitted with Asthma about 5 times a year since birth and the thought of it closing is scary.

In the event of it closing I have already put in a transfer request to move to Orpington, nearer to a Hospital with an A&E dept.
Hello Phil. I can't possibly know your circumstances, but when my son was small, I had to do emergency dashes to A&E for his asthma. As he got older, they said that if he was still getting A&E-style attacks, his GP ought to be changing his medication, either by stronger-dosage puffers, steroid tablets or home nasal equipment (like they put on in hospital that looks a bit like an oxygen mask), plus he should monitor and record his peak flow (blow thing meter) daily. I did learn that dog hair shakings (so would include dander) and things from some trees in spring would be a disaster, so don't know if any of this might help with your "dashes".

Hope others will also report any further news reports also.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I must admit this is the first I've heard of this - does anyone know what the upshot was?

If the A&E goes that means that there won't be an A&E in the London borough of Lewisham. That's absurd!
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

bensonby wrote:I must admit this is the first I've heard of this - does anyone know what the upshot was?

If the A&E goes that means that there won't be an A&E in the London borough of Lewisham. That's absurd!
I am not sure of the outcome as all seems to have gone quiet on the matter but we will have to go to Bromley or sidcup i belive it's so wrong
mummycat

Results of the Survey "A Picture of Health"

Post by mummycat »

The results were published on page 4 of the News Shopper this week....

The most popular response was "None of the Above", with 2,469 votes.

The feedback was only 1.2%! The majority of votes were from Bromley & Bexley.

Michael Chuter, Chairman of the Joint Committee of Primary Care Trusts however said "No change is not clinically or financially viable".

Feedback from the questionnaire would help decide whether to implement a mixture of the options.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewgr ... hanges.php
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I've just spotted a small notice on page 14 of tonight's Evening Standard:

"Following public consultation, the Joint Committee of Primary Care Trusts (JCPCT) for Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lewisham and West Kent will meet in public on 21 July to take a decision on the A picture of health proposals.

When: Monday 21 July 2008 from 10:30am
Where: Glaziers Hall, 9 Montague Close, London Bridge, SE1 9DD

Please note that the venue has capacity for 180 people. Therefore members of the public will be admitted on a first-come, first-admitted basis.

The agenda and papers for the meeting, as well as directions to the venue, will be available on the A picture of Health website www.apictureofhealth.nhs.uk prior to the meeting. papers will also be available at the meeting.

The venue is wheelchair accessible. British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters and a hearing loop system will be available from 10:30am. For further details regarding the meeting, please contact the A picture of health team on:

- Freephone 0800 321 3579. This is an answering service. Please leave a message with your contact details and we will call you back.
- Email apoh@lewishampct.nhs.uk

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend - I have 2 children tied to me for the next 7 weeks.... :roll:
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Good News - finally!

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/mostpopula ... ose_ae.php

University Hospital Lewisham will not lose it's maternity, paediatrics and emergency services, (apart from a few hours in the middle of the night for surgery which will only inconvenience 3 people apparently!).
poppy

A&E

Post by poppy »

Is it really 'good news'? It is an awful lot better than what we were faced with but if you arrive at Lewisham A&E at 2 in the morning with suspected appendicitis, what will happen then if they can't operate?

And how they can describe Lewisham as 'outer' south-east London, I don't know. It's an inner London borough!