Sash windows

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Caroline

Sash windows

Post by Caroline »

Can anyone recommend a company to install sash windows?

Thanks

caroline
stuart

Post by stuart »

I do a website for http://www.karters.co.uk.
They are at the "bespoke architectural" end of the business. Ideal if you are going for the authentic look. May be not ideal if you are going for value for money ... unless you are into Morris Vans.

Stuart
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Karters windows look beautiful - but it looks as though they are based in Essex. Nearer to home is Draughtbusters in Forest Hill who are excellent -their no is 8291 2800. They've done a lot of work in the Thorpes.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Big Ben wrote:Karters windows look beautiful - but it looks as though they are based in Essex. Nearer to home is Draughtbusters in Forest Hill who are excellent -their no is 8291 2800. They've done a lot of work in the Thorpes.
Seconded. Draughtbusters are fantastic
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Everest make wooden sash windows.

Infact lots of companies do, it's worth buying a copy of self build magazine or building and renovation.

There are a number of local firms that do it, the one that springs to mind is in Deptford next to the Deptford bridge DLR...but I have forgotten their name!

I had my windows refurbished by the Sash box window company but I wasn't knocked out by what they did.

Please keep everyone informed as to the companies you get quotes from, I'd like to replace the horrible pvc windows in my house with original sash windows in the future. They last longer and have better insulating properties too!

On one note, if you try to get the windows before the end of the financial year you will get a huge reduction as lots of companies have quotas to fill before April 1st and offer huge incentives. I had a quote for new windows reduced from £20,000 down to £5000 a few years ago because it was the end of the financial year.

Also don't sign anything, windows companies are terrible for pressuring people and I have had sme bad experiences. Do not use zenith windows!

One last tip, make sure the company you use make AND fit the windows in house. External suppliers are bad news as I found out with my windows!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Draughtbusters are basically a small joinery company who make wooden windows and re-furbish (and draught-proof) existing ones. They make and fit the windows and don't go in for high-pressure selling (I reaise I'm beginning to sound like their sales rep - which I'm not, honest!) When my neighbours used them - and also relatives in Balham - they were extremely nice and very easy to deal with.
Wing

Post by Wing »

You might want to check out this company based in Balckwater Street in East Dulwich.

http://www.bespokewindows.co.uk/
Wing

Sash Wiindows

Post by Wing »

You might want to check out this company based in Balckwater Street, East Dulwich.

http://www.bespokewindows.co.uk/
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Another recommendation for draughtbusters here. The name makes them sound like purveyors of nasty upvc windows with smarmy sales people but nothing could be further from the truth. We have lovely new sashes from them.
AliT

Post by AliT »

We've just had a beautiful double glazed sash made by a local company called Atamer Carpentry - 0208 653 8090. Very high standard of workmanship and a pleasure to deal with.
mosy

Post by mosy »

In my experience, it's worth getting different quotes, but also good to be able to compare them - e.g. hardwood or softwood; how fitted (some are held in place with expanding foam, some aren't); will the windows be sealed and then painted? (note pre-sealing loses some effect if they have to be shaved to fit); hopefully guaranteed and insurance backed in case the company goes out of business; how much reparation of any exterior or interior plasterwork is included; how much protection or destruction of any garden area might be involved; how long it will take and protection if not a "day only" job; names of references of happy customers whose doors you can knock on to ask about said company (get them to ferry you around showing similar jobs they've done in the area).

That'll do for now LOL.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Thanks for all your suggestions - I am on the case now getting quotes! I will update you when I have more details

Caroline
mm665

SASH WINDOWS

Post by mm665 »

Caroline,

How did you get on with your sash windows? I am looking to have mine refurbished/draught sealed - I see draught busters have been recommended, did you contact them?

Look forward to hearing of your progress
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi

Yes I contacted all the suppliers that were recommended and they all quoted more or less the same prices

In the end I am going with Greenwich Glass and Joinery as they could start earlier than Draftbusters - I saw some examples of there work which was of a high standard

Hope that this helps

Caroline
poppy

sash windows

Post by poppy »

Hi Caroline

How did you get on with Greenwich Glass and windows in the end. I am looking to have some windows replaced.

Thanks
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Just a quick update - Greenwich Glass and Joinery did a fantastic job with my Sash Windowns and I would thoroughly recommend them

Caroline