STREET DRINKERS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
multisync

STREET DRINKERS

Post by multisync »

I just wondered what the regulations are for drinking on the streets.I noticed the other day that there were a few people drinking on the bench outside the post office in Sydenham.Then this evening after visiting my son on the high street,there were eastern european people on his doorstep drinking cans of beer,according to him this happens quite frequently.what can be done to stop this.After all if we want Sydenham to be up and coming we don't need this on our doorsteps
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Did the ones on the bench actually do you any harm aside from the fact you found them visually offensive?

No?

Then leave them alone.

The ones on your sons doorstep sound more of a problem. As far as I know its allowed to drink on the streets? But presumably your son's doorstep is private property so that's not allowed unless someone invited them.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

they are rude and leave chicken bones and empty cans on the doorstep and at times are there when I leave for work at 8am - nice !! what to do !! - Im investigating [url]http://www.electrified_doorsteps.com[/url] :twisted:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

call the cops and have them removed if it's your property, assuming you've asked them to bugger off and they havn't.

i'm sure if you just asked them not to sit there drinking and making a mess they would be OK.
poppy

drinking on the street

Post by poppy »

It's been banned in Catford. Apparently if you ban it in one place though they just move on somewhere else. I regularly see three men, in their 20s/30s walking down my road at about 7am on a Sunday morning drinking beer from cans. They look eastern European. I think it's very sad. There was a programme on Radio 4 about it a few months ago comparing these immigrants to Irish men who came to London in the 60s and 70s (not all obviously) but a substantial amount turned to drink through lonliness, and disillusionment with the new life they were confronted with. I don't like it either. And the ones who regularly sit on the benches are more local I think.
DigitalFX

Drinkers

Post by DigitalFX »

Here I go again about our Sydenham.....

Juwlz, I totally agree with your comments, as I have said on here before come on guys this is Sydenahm SE26 South London, not Holland Park.

I am all for making the area look clean and tidy and to see new and exciting business arrive, but let's not try and turn Sydenahm into something it's not. In many South London areas you will always have these so called problems. Sometimes talking to these people can help, and not to judge a book by it's cover. Some people just like their own comapny and if they are doing no harm to anybody then who are we to judge.

Private property is of course different as some of you have mentioned, but with Sydenham we all share this street and this area and some people are forced to spend their time sitting on a bench with a can off beer in their hand. Let's not judge these pepole because of our high morals or expectations.

Gaz
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i don't understand what the big deal is with walking down the street with a beer?

it's different if people are causing trouble, or on private property, but 7am on a sunday they are probably coming home from a party. i'm sure everyone's stumbled home in the daylight before.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Seven a.m. on a Sunday morning - its still Saturday night for many and there's still parties to go to.

Which is healthier at 07:00? Wholesome ale or a full English.
poppy

drinkers

Post by poppy »

It's been pretty much the same time for the past three or four weeks. They actually look like they are coming home from work or something. They are in labouring clothes. And yes I don't know what it's like to work nights on a regular basis and whether people would normally fancy a beer at that time, but it could be problem drinking. It was just a comment. I know in some European countries men start the day with a shot of spirits...and plenty here start it with a spliff I am sure.
pip

Post by pip »

Ive seen the fellas from the car wash leaving work with a can in their hands on a few occasions, so as they open at 8.00am maybe its them you witness early morning with a pre work tot. Ive never seen them bothering anyone and I am sure if I had to work there I would probably need a can to get through the 12 hour day for probably is a pittance.
I have had my car cleaned there a number of times with no complaints.
poppy

drinkers

Post by poppy »

Pip I meant a drink problem for them, not for the rest of us.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

It seems there may be two different debates here:

The frequent drinkers seen on the bench are obviously alcoholics/problem drinkers/possibly homeless or with nowhere "better" to go. Nobody likes to witness people who are erm...not at their best. It is true that they will indeed move on to somewhere else if the police were to intervene. I dont want them on my doorstep either (and would intervene if it were so) But I guess if you were going to consider moving them on from the bench, then you need to work out first where they are going to go...Mad pogo man is as much of a threat on high street, (not always drinking in public) but always jumping up and down like a loon......

People who stroll down the road with a beer. It's not the worst crime in the world, although I would question why they can't wait until they get to their destination? Problem drinking doesnt just mean raging alcoholism. Even a requirement to NEED a drink to relax could be considered a problem.

I think perhaps it comes down to how actions are seen by other people and how much you care about other peoples opinion. I think wherever drinking is not seen as a social aid but as a solitary activity, it is likely to be open to criticism

Personally:
- I would feel more threatened by a group of youths walking down the road if they had a can of beer each in their hand than if they didnt.
- If I had children, I wouldnt want them to see people walking around the streets drinking, thinking it was "normal"
- As a rule I wouldnt drink walking down the street but I would sit in a park on a sunny day with a glass of wine.

Perhaps if street drinking were further discouraged....we could save more of our pubs? I could muse on this further....but I think that's enough from me!
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

FACT People who need to drink in the early morning have a drink problem.
FACT, most of todays societies problems are Alcohol related.

So, Sydenham is now full of early morning/all day boozers looked on with indulgence by by those that would rather have a spliff to start the day?
Meanwhile these tipsy stoned inhabitants are seemingly surrounded by kids breaking windows and burnt out cars and dumped christmas trees.

Or am I getting the wrong impression?
Life here does seem to revolve around pubs a lot judging from the number of posts about them.......

Are they open yet? :lol:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It is illegal to appear drunk on the public street.

Very often groups of drunk people cause problems. I can't comment on this particular case, but if they do cause a problem, be it noise or litter, then they should either be given help or be told to move on.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I think the drinkers who sit on the bench live in the hostel / half way house up Westwood Hill. They don't do any harm that I can see. My husband said one of them was once a sucessfull local solicitor who's life unfortunately changed direction. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him for some time. (The solicitor - not the husband!).
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
i know of some night workers who get home and have a drink or two before they gp to bed, saying it helps them to sleep during the daylight, although they wouldnt drink on the way home in the streets.

having said that i have never seen trouble from those on the bench in sydenham.

a while ago someone i know chatted with what she assumed was an alcoholic in penge, she asked him if he would like a drink as it was a hot sunny day and she was going to get herself a bottle of water,
he said yes ,she went to the shop and got her water and him some vodka,
she gave it to him and he said actually i wanted water as well!
she was embaressed and returned the vodka and got him the water he wanted,

she learned a valuable lesson that day and will never assume again that just because someone chooses to live on the street that they are all alcoholics.
she spent an hour or so with this chap, they had lunch at mcdonalds and she really enjoyed his company,everyone has a story to tell. :wink:

sorry i digress :lol:
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

"an alcoholic in penge"

shurely shome mishtake?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:wink: