Stereoviews of Crystal Palace by London Sterescopic Company.

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
tulse hill terry

Stereoviews of Crystal Palace by London Sterescopic Company.

Post by tulse hill terry »

From a catalogue of 1856
London Stereocopic Company

54 Cheapside

and

313 Oxford Street

THE CRYSTAL PALACE, SYDENHAM,

Shewing the various Courts and points of greatest interest, with descriptive letter-press at the back of each slide.

The above subjects can be had beautifully executed on Daguerreotype plates, at 8s. 6d. each. For beauty of tone and minute accuracy of detail, these slides are the finest ever issued.

The Second series of about 200 subjects taken from the Crystal Palace, in addition to and including many of the above, without description, mounted at 2s. each slide; on Glass 5s. each."

1. The Byzantine Court – Interior view, with the black marble fountain (an exact copy of the one at Heisterbach on the Rhine), and the celebrated effigies of Henry II, and his queen Eleanora, and of Isabella, wife of King John, from Fontrevault Abbey.

2. The Egyptian Court – Entrance to, with Avenue of Lions. The different styles of columns, &c., during the Ptolemaic period, about 300 years B.C., and the outlines in low relief on the walls are beautifully delineated.

3. The Court of Lions – One of the most gorgeous in the Alhambra, remarkable for its graceful fretwork and the fairy-like slightness of its columns. It derives its name from the stone fountain seen in its centre, surrounded by lions.

4. The Italian Court – From a portion of the Farnese Palace at Rome, with the figure of Lorenzo de Medici, and Dawn and Twilight, from the celebrated monument in the Church of San Lorenzo at Florence. [I have "unreversed" this image.]

5. The Pompeian Court – A well chosen view from that beautiful Court, being an actual representation of the “Atrium,” or hall of a Roman mansion, with its “impluvium” at the time of the great eruption, A.D.79.

6. The Renaissance Court – A correct epitome of that architecture which superseded the florid Gothic of the 15th century, and returning to a chaster style, is now known as the Renaissance.

7. The Two Colossal Statues – of Rameses, from the Temple of Abou Simboul, in Nubia, sculptured in the solid rock. From hieroglyphics in the interior the date of their construction is ascertained to have been 1560 B.C.

8. The Elizabethan Court – Both façade and arcades of which are from Holland House, Kensington, together with two bronze figures by Landini, from the Tartaghue fountain at Rome, and busts of Shakespeare, &c.

9. Entrance to English Mediaeval Court – Showing the western doorway of Tintern abbey, and the two statues from the west front of Wells Cathedral. The celebrated Walsingham Font is seen within the Court.

10. The Egyptian Hall of Columns – This Hall exhibits a combination of columns from various buildings; some from the tomb of Ozymandias, and others crowned with the head of Athor, the Egyptian Venus.

11. The Telescope Gallery – So named from the curious effect produced by its apparently interminable repetition of rings, when seen from either extremity.

12. The Assyrian Court – With representations of the human-headed bulls which formed the entrance to the palace at Khorsabad, and some of the figures on its walls, as also of the Sphinxes, cast from one in the Louvre, dated 1000 years before Christ.

13. View in the Greek Court – Containing some of the finest examples of Greek sculpture; a portion of the Egyptian Court is also visible, with one of the figures of Amenoph, restored from the black granite statue in the British Museum.

14. Entrance to the Egyptian Court – Remarkable for the dedication on the frieze, to the Queen, as the “Ruler of the Waves, the Royal daughter Victoria, Lady Most Gracious,” &c., in hieroglyphics.

15. Interior View of the Crystal Palace – Looking towards the north end, and comprising nearly the whole length of the nave. Osler’s crystal fountain occupies the centre of the foreground, surrounded by the colossal statues of Lessing and Huskisson, Lord Chatham, and Dr. Johnson.

16. The Stationery Court – This view comprises three life-like figures by Rauch of Berlin, pupil of Canova and Thorwaldsen. The character of the Court is Composite, with cinque-cento ornamentation.

17. Gallery of Greek Sculpture – The statues seen in this view are of different periods of Greek art, but all of the highest class, from the collections at Rome, Naples, Paris, and Berlin.

18. Gallery of Greek Sculpture – A continuation of the preceding, and comprising statues and busts in no way inferior to it in any of the qualities of high and refined art.

19. Gallery of Greek Sculpture – Remarkable principally for the authenticated busts of Numa Pompillius and various Roman Emperors, clustered round the termination of the gallery looking towards the Court of Lions. [I know, I know, this is in fact the Roman Court. Just proves you can't trust what you read!]

20. Gallery of Greek Sculpture – Amongst the statues in this continuation of the Greek Court, is the far-famed Venus de Medici, and it is remarkable for the massive antae or square columns, in the recess between which is a small statue of Euripides.

21. The Byzantine Court – Two arches of the arcade from the cloisters of St. Mary in the Capitolo, an ancient Church of the Cologne, with examples on the spandrels of the costume and style of the Byzantine period, and recumbent figures of the Earls of Pembroke and Essex.

22. The Byzantine Court – A continuation of the same façade, with portraits of the Emperor Nicephorus and of Theodora, wife of Justinian.

23. The Italian Court – Constructed after the model of the Farnese palace with the statue of Guiliano de Medici, and the figures of Light and Night, from San Lorenzo, Florence. In the centre is seen the fountain of the Tartarughe, from Rome.

24. The Italian Court – The original design of the Farnese Palace, the model from which this Court is taken, was by Sangallo, but it was completed under the direction of Michael Angelo; by whom is the celebrated statue of Bacchus, seen in front of the façade.

25. English Mediaeval Court – Part of which is from Tintern Abbey, and part form Gainsborough, Yorkshire, with statues from Wells Cathedral and Romsey.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=023

26. Entrance to the Greek Court – Presenting tow columns from the Temple of Jupiter, at Nemea, and in the back ground a model, about one-fourth the size of the original, of the Parthenon, with antique statuary in the foreground.

27. Interior of the Greek Court – Supported by pillars from the Temple of Jupiter, at Nemea, constructed about 400 years B.C. Here are the two famous statues, the gladiator Repellens, and the Scythian whetting his knife.

28. Mixed Fabrics Court – In the occupation of Sowerby, of Regent Street; at this angle is seen Bailey’s Graces, and the Musidora by Thomas.

29. The Roman Court – Nothing can be more chaste and simple than this Court, its arches rising between Ionic pillars and separated by a pilaster of the same order, in harmony with the sculpture it contains.

30. The Statues of Amenoph – Restored from the original in black granite, now in the British Museum, together with a portrait of Rameses II. sitting under the Persea tree, sculptured on the walls.

31. The Interior of English Mediaeval Court – Most conspicuous in the centre of this Court is the tomb of Edward the Black Prince, from Canterbury Cathedral, and that of William of Wykeham, from Winchester, beyond which is the Walsingham Font.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1850s-Crystal-Pal ... dZViewItem

Ends 13-Feb-08 21:15:43 GMT

32. Middle Entrance to the Greek Court – Showing a Doric column, part of the façade from the Temple of Jupiter, at Nemea.

33. Entrance to the Alhambra – An exact facsimile of the entrance into the court of the Lions from the Court of the Fish-pond. The diaper pattern on the walls being from the Sala de la Barca.

34. The Nave – Osler’s well-known fountain, Una and the Lion, and the Eagle Slayer, are here seen in a line across the nave, beyond which are the statues of Charles I. and James II.

35. Screen of the Kings and Queens of England – A beautiful representation of the Screen designed by M.D. Wyatt, with the sculpture by Thomas; it is taken from the angle where the Norman series commences, and comprises the statue of her present Majesty.

36. The Musical Instrument Court – A truthful representation of the entrance of this beautiful Court, designed by Thomas, with a representation of Miriam in the space above, and a bust of Jubal to the right.

37. View in the Nave – This view is taken directly across the nave, in a line with Osler’s fountain and the statues of Charles I. and James II., and showing a line of statues by Theed and Gibson, amongst which most conspicuous is that of Humphrey Cheetham, of Manchester.

38. Group of Africans – Contrasting the Negro of the lower levels with the Danakil of the high pastures and plateaus of the Desert.

39. Byzantine Court – Showing the centre arch of the façade from the Church of St. Mary in Capitolo, at Cologne, the columns from which it springs being ornamented with capitals of different designs.

40. Mixed Fabrics Court – The only statue visible from this point of view, is from the Murder of the Innocents, but it derives its interest from the tropical evergreens, by which it is surrounded.

41. Ceremony of Inauguration – Being a correct representation taken upon the spot on the 10th of June, when Mr. Laing, the Chairman of the Crystal Palace Company, was in the act of reading the address to Her Majesty.

42. Mixed Fabrics Court – Showing the Tired Hunter, a statue by Bailey, and Apollo discharging his bow, by the same artist.

43. General View of the Crystal Palace – A beautiful view of the building seen from a distance. It is taken from a point above Anerley station, where it is seen to the greatest advantage.

44. Portion of the North Wing – In which the character of the Italian Terraces with the vases, statues, and flower-beds, fish-ponds, &c., is seen in connection with a portion of the building.

45. General View in the Grounds – As seen from the central corridor, comprising the broad walk down to the central fountain, the village and church beyond the grounds, and hills and variegated landscape in the far distance.

The above subjects can be had beautifully executed on Daguerreotype plates, at 8s. 6d. each. For beauty of tone and minute accuracy of detail, these slides are the finest ever issued.

The Second series of about 200 subjects taken from the Crystal Palace, in addition to and including many of the above, without description, mounted at 2s. each slide; on Glass 5s. each."

Note. I am not convinced that the additional 200 views were ever published. There is an almost identical format of stereoview mounts, using the same typeface, with "First Series" and "Second Series." . I wonder if they are evidence of the overlap of Thomas Richard William's work being published by Negretti & Zambra and the London Stereoscopic Company.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 13 Jun 2012 23:08, edited 11 times in total.
tulse hill terry

edit post
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

EXCELLENT JOB TERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you've outdone yourself mate... SUPERB! I'm away from home right now but am very much looking forward to getting back so I can have a proper examination of your thread. Constructing illustrated lists of stereoviews is truly pioneering as far as the Crystal Palace is concerned. Presumably the other topic I started was enough to inspire you; that list turns out to be compiled by Treadwell (1998) and is the only one of it's kind, albeit not illustrated. World of Stereoviews claims it to be only 55% complete, and yet there are 2 more revisions above the one I posted--last published in 2000. It seems the significance of stereoviews with regards to the palace is only just being realised. No books will emphasise them in the same way as postcards, not even the Ian Leith book, which comes the closest. Just because they are so rare and expensive, hogged by big collectors like 1924lineone, they shouldn't be ignored. Between them, N&Z and LSC easily published more than 200, so that is indeed a substantial part of the Crystal Palace's early photographic record. Thanks to Ebay and Tulse Hill Terry's rigorous monitoring, I think stereoviews can begin to earn their place in the local historical record. I would love to see a Crystal Palace book packed up with photos--not from postcards--but from stereoviews!
Last edited by Falkor on 23 Dec 2007 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
tulse hill terry

Presumably the other topic I started was enough to inspire you; that list turns out to be compiled by Treadwell (1998) and is the only one of it's kind, albeit not illustrated."
Cheeky sod. I've been working on this for nearly three years now, trawling all over the internet.

You mean the list compiled and sold by the NATIONAL STEREOSCOPIC ASSOCIATION INFORMATION AND BOOK SERVICE.
http://www.stereoview.org/bookservice.html

More mystification about your sources!

I've never read it, so I have no idea what you may have done to it before you posted it.

It does prove that the area has been collected and reasearched in the U.S for years.

My personal belief is that these stereoview images are under-rated by those who haven't seen them with a viewer, the three-dimensional effect is stunning in comparison. There was a viewer in the Crystal Palace Museum. Is it still there?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It does prove that the area has been collected and reasearched in the U.S for years.
You could do a better job than 55%, plus illustrations.
There was a viewer in the Crystal Palace Museum. Is it still there?
That proves how long it's been since you last visited--no, it broke down--do yourself a favour and pay a visit next month or something, will ya?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

How do you explain this?
Also, number 5 under this series is The Screen Of The Kings and Queens of England.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

tulse hill terry

Note. I have one with similar mount and font but no number, and a few others, again with similar mount and font, with "First" or "Second Series" printed on the back, but no numbers above 10. I am not certain that the additional 200 were ever published.
Read the text .
That proves how long it's been since you last visited--no, it broke down--do yourself a favour and pay a visit next month or something, will ya?
Don't you think getting it repaired would be a service to the public, as to a visit, and I'm not sure that it is an invitation, how exactly would it benefit me? I've managed so far without.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 2 Jun 2012 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Don't you think getting it repaired would be a service to the public, as to a visit, and I'm not sure that it is an invitation, how exactly would it benefit me? I've managed so far without.
Regarding your first point, it's not as simple as that, and I'll send you a PM about it. As for the visiting the museum, you could benefit by learning new information; it's a must for any CP fan.
tulse hill terry

As I said on the N&Z thread, I have read the 1998 list you sent me, and to clarify:

The series I illustrated and which is described in the catalogue of 1856, and availiable as daguerreotypes and prints, is IN ADDITION to the "First" and "Second Series"

I have or have seen:

"FIRST SERIES."

1. "Exterior of the Palace from the Grand Terraces.

[Must be a variant of the same stereoview from the NSA list, posted by Falkor.]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=023

Ends 23-Jan-08 18:28:48 GMT

3. "View in the Great Grand Transept."

5. "Screen of the Kings and Queens of England."

9. The Byzantine and Romanesque Court.
[Two stereoviews with completely different images, and the little boy who appears in the N&Z views!]

"SECOND SERIES."

8. The Greek and Roman Sculpture Gallery.

With the attribution of photographs, it's a case of "reverse engineering", dealing as we are of the products of publishers. Who knows, perhaps the whole lot was taken by the same person on the same day!

There are probably six people on the planet that care about such distinctions.

My main purpose in making a list, is so I don't buy duplicates, and to be certain whether or not 1924lineone has bought his third or fourth copy of a particular view.
As for the visiting the museum, you could benefit by learning new information; it's a must for any CP fan."
I don't know what to make of that statement. I would have thought the amount of people interested in anything at more than a superficial level with the Palace were a minority, the term "CP fan" would apply more to the football club surely.

I'm always happy to learn something new, though I already know probably more about the Palace, than is good for my sanity! Your time at the Museum seems to have left you with plenty of questions. The net and libraries are working for me so far. I don't need to feel anyone is doing me a favour. Sorry.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 20 Jan 2008 18:22, edited 3 times in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Mate, you don't know everything about the palace, and neither do I. There is definitely stuff down the museum you wouldn't have otherwise known about, so do yourself a favour instead of being arrogant and depriving yourself of one less source. You might not be a "fan", so sorry for using that word, but like myself you're very enthusiatic about local history. I've not even gathered up all my unasnwered questions yet to put to anyone since before the time I started going to the museum, though I plan on doing it soon after I've re-read some books and tracked down some references.
tulse hill terry

tulse hill terry

Mate, you don't know everything about the palace, and neither do I.
That's not MY ambition.
There is definitely stuff down the museum you wouldn't have otherwise known about, so do yourself a favour instead of being arrogant and depriving yourself of one less source.
Well, Ive been, wasn't that impressed - to be honest. :twisted:

This for example, is not the theatre in the French Italian Sculpture Court, as described in the Museum display.

It's a temporary theatre in the nave, for a vist of an opera company. That's the Roman Court in the background.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 20 Jan 2008 18:10, edited 1 time in total.