THOSE HUGE BUILDINGS ON CRYSTAL PALACE PARK ROAD

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
leenewham

THOSE HUGE BUILDINGS ON CRYSTAL PALACE PARK ROAD

Post by leenewham »

Does anyone have any info on these, the ones overlooking Crystal Palace Park, or old pictures. I have seen a few of them recently (househunting) and they are amazing inside, it would be very interesting to know more.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

All the buildings on the park side of Crystal Palace Park Road were designed by John Norton, architect for the Crystal Palace Company. Norton is better known for his work on <Tyntesfield>, Somerset.

I've uploaded a couple of articles from <The Builder> giving more information about the houses. From 1867-1872 Norton lived at Litchfield House, at the Penge end of Lawrie Park Road. This would allow him to keep an eye on the development. In 1873, he moved to 55 Crystal Palace Park Road where he stayed until 1881.

The houses are quite extraordinary from the outside; I'm pleased to hear that they are equally striking inside.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Steve, once again you are a star. I was looking at no57, but it has just gone under offer. Damn! The staircases are as original, as are the windows and oak paneled ceiling. Original featires have been lost in some ofthe flats, but most walls are stud work and some of the houses have been done up to a very high standard. They are stunning examples of Victorian architecture and on the top floor they have views all over london and the park.

It's almost worth posing as a potential buyer to see inside these places!
davegr

Post by davegr »

Actually I believe that there were only 3 designed by John Norton of which the only one standing is number 69. The views are brilliant on the top floors although the trees in the park are starting to block out some of the views. We have been trying to get the council to keep them in check but it is a difficult task.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They all look similar..shame if any of them were knocked down.

Calling Falkor, calling Falkor..any pics?
davegr

Post by davegr »

I'm amazed that there are so many buildings in such great nick down this road. I have a photocopy of the back of number 29 (one of Nortons) taken in the 1960s. Sadly it is no longer with us.

There are sets of photos taken in the late 1960s/early 1970s of the road with many of the houses in a terribly run down state that can be seen at Bromley Council library. Falkor appears to have copies of many of these photos and is the man to ask. Maybe he could post anything he has.

I live in 69 and have been told that Norton only designed 29, 51 and 69 but I am not 100%. Steve, are you sure they were all the work of Norton?
davegr

Post by davegr »

For a road with such elegant houses I have never seen any photos of the road prior to the 1960 ones. Anyone know why this might be?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

davegr, the article in The Builder certainly implies that Norton was the architect, and supervised the building of, most if not all the houses on that side of CP Pk Rd. He was, after all, "the architect of the Crystal Palace Company's estate" at the time and, as I mentioned, he was living in close proximity to the development for more than 14 years.

I would be interested to know where your informant got his information. If it was from John Coulter's Sydenham and Forest Hill Past (the first time since The Builder article, as far as I am aware, that Norton's connection with these houses has been published) then John makes clear within the text that he believes that Norton was responsible for all the houses. Indeed, we discussed this as it was me who gave him a copy of the original article for his book.
davegr

Post by davegr »

I stand corrected Steve.

I think my friend saw the picture in the book and assumed that it was only the 3 buildings that Norton was involved with. Maybe due to the fact that the three pictured all have similar features and there are a number of different style of buildings in the road.

It's a shame there isn't more written about Norton and Crystal Palace bearing in mind how many fantastic buildings there are in the road.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I must now correct myself. Nikolaus Pevsner associated Norton with the houses at the Penge end of the road, and round the corner into Thicket Road, in 1983. He had little to say about the houses, but was enthusiastic about the Chulsa estate on the other side of the road.

I've uploaded a couple of <early postcards>, although they don't show much of the houses.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

davegr

Post by davegr »

Thanks Steve. I haven't come across those before. You've got some fascinating photos there. I've been studying them for ages. There's a photo of Sydenham station demolition in 1982. Where is that ?
davegr

Post by davegr »

Thanks for the link leenewham. Lovely picture.