Blue Mountain Cafe

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
squig

Blue Mountain Cafe

Post by squig »

Anyone know when the Blue Mountain Cafe is opening? Can't wait!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Maybe they're still waiting for a chef. The note is still there on the window.
squig

Post by squig »

Let's hope they don't get desperate. The one in East Dulwich is great! I hope it works- sad that Zucker closed.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Zucker was nice but just a bit TOO cramped at times. Hopefully there will be more space in new Blue Mountain cafe. I've never been to the one in East Dulwich but when chatting with a friend yesterday she said it's OKAY but that the food can be hit and miss. Anyone else experienced that?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I heard Zucker was going to reopen.
AliT

Post by AliT »

Yes Zucker is being reinvented. I stuck my nose in last week when there were people painting. They've remodelled the space somewhat so it is larger, and the guy I spoke to assures me that they are going to get a decent coffee machine! I don't know what kind of fare will be on offer, but I referred him to this forum to check out local opinions. Fingers crossed for two nice new cafes in Sydenham!
mr arch

sydenham coffee shop

Post by mr arch »

First of all we'd like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves as the new owners of the former Zucker cafe, Chris and Yasemin. Thankyou to AliT for pointing us towards this forum, we have read all the discussions and comments posted by you guys and have found it all to be very interesting reading.
What we are trying to do is make our cafe your cafe. We're open to all suggestions from the forum so please do not hesitate to contact us about anything.

We look forward to hearing from and meeting you soon.

Chris & Yas
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Hi

Thats really great news.. I have a quick question, will you also be open in the evenings? Domalis in Crystal palace is a really good example of a cafe/ bistro thats also open in the evenings and it works really well.
Sydenham is definately missing places to go in the evening.

It was my boyfriends birthday last weekend and on Friday managed to persuade some friend to venture out to sydenham for a meal.. the Dolphin had no free tables, The Gurkha was fully booked, the chinese didn't look to have much atmoshere and the Mexican was dead. We settled on the Italian.. but a good evening eatery with excellent food and a nice atmosphere/ ambience would do really well. Just a suggestion.
SIMONTREWIN

BLUE MOUNTAIN OPENS THIS TUESDAY 30TH AT 7.30AM

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

I want to be first in the queue!

simon t
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

If the photograhers or cameras are there I know who will be there first :lol:
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Two cafes - this is fantastic. There's a brigade of Sydenham mums who have been waiting for this moment for a VERY long time. :lol:
poppy

Blue Mountain

Post by poppy »

Has anyone been in yet? If so what is the verdict? It looks very nice from the outside and looked quite busy as I went past a couple of times today.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I went this morning, and it was very busy in spite of a kitchen problem leaving them unable to serve hot food. I was one of the rather incredible number of mums who parked up the pushchair and settled in for a round of frothy coffee and a pastry.

Verdict: it's fine as a cafe, and my God am I ever happy to have a local deli for sliced hams, olives, cheeses and the like. I was also extremely happy to see a few preserves, olive oils and apple juices I'd normally have to go up to Borough to buy. I suspect it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly long overdue.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We arrived home yesterday morning from holiday after flying all night, and as tired as I was I whooped a squeal of delight as we turned the corner from the station and saw the cafe open. Hurrah!!!

Once I've sorted the laundry and Mr Savvy logs out from work we'll be going down there for lunch, we can't wait to sample the menu.
sean

Sydenham not Soho

Post by sean »

I am deeply disappointed by my experience in this new cafe. I decided to take a business partner on Tuesday for something to eat. Not seeing any indication on the black board what was on sale I asked at the counter and was informed that yes there was a menu but the majority of the food on it was unavailable. Finally the menu arrived but only because someone not related to the food side of things acquired it for me.

We proceeded and orders two cups of tea which came to £3. I find it difficult to understand why even the simplest product as a cup of tea was so highly priced when you think of how many other places there are to eat and drink on the same street – at reasonable prices. Given the choice of 60p to £1.50 I know where I will be going. We watched the waitress collect our teas from behind the counter and walk straight out on the street to the patio area. You can sit on the patio and indeed "watch the world go by" and while enjoying this new attraction you can also take in their fumes. After spending two minutes standing on the street looking endlessly at the group of mothers and toddlers that were enjoying the sites on the patio area she decided to re-enter the café. Finally we received our two overpriced and undersized tea and sat there drinking what was now cold tea.

Examining the menu we decided that it wasn’t worth taking out a mortgage to cover lunch so we left and headed to Chef's Delight further down the street.

Not wanting to tar this new business with a negative view I decided to give it another go and put all the previous experiences down to first day nerves.

I arrived at a fairly quiet point in the afternoon (Wednesday) and on locating a nice juicy red apple I headed for the counter and waited to be served. And waited, and waited, and waited. After ten minutes of watching the counter staff trying to work out what the elderly couple in front of them had bought and how much they should charge I replaced my apple and headed out and to the nearby grocery shop.

I understand that their aim is to serve the train commuters during the morning and early evening rush hours. But it’s difficult to imagine how this can be achieved when buying an apple can turn into a mini-saga. Yes, it needs time to settle in but you would have thought, or at least expected that they would have conducted a trial run to iron out any problems before having their grand opening and fan fair to the Sydenham community.

The only reason why I would visit this business again would be to purchase a bunch of flowers. On one side of the café there is an area where you can purchase a bunch of organic flowers to be arranged while you wait to be served. Pitched at reasonable prices and adding a splash of colour and scent to the venue you can expect to be served quickly, professionally and at affordable prices.

This is only what I have experienced on my visits. I’m all for improving the community with new types of business but unfortunately this business deserved the title of café rather than bistro.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I went past it yesterday on the 176 on my way home, it was about 4.45pm/5pm... and it was packed in there!! The tables seemed to have been crammed in and people were sitting round all of them. I don't think I'd go in there if more than a couple of tables were taken as it's so small and I don't think it'd be a good experience being barely able to move, hear the person you're talking to, and apparently be over-charged for the pleasure (reading the post before this).

I'd pick my time of day, praps during the day if I'm on leave I'd meet for a cuppa with a friend in there, otherwise I don't think they'll be getting my cutsom!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

This just shows that there's a market for a good lively cafe - and hopefully when the new Zuckers opens they too will benefit from all the people who can't get into the Blue Mountain. Re the earlier comments about the price of a cuppa - there's a plethora of other cafes in Sydenham which have cheaper tea and coffee, it's just nice now to have a cafe that's offering something a bit different! If you can't get into the place they must be doing something right! The owner does have two other Blue Mountain cafes and I'm sure the price of his tea and coffee is broadly in line with Starbucks, Cafe Nero etc.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Guess it will sort itself out customer-wise - ain't going to be everyone's 'sort of cafe' I suppose; I still like the good old working man's cafes for a steaming cuppa and a fry-up. I, too cannot stand overpriced stuff - however it is unlikely to be surprising for a slightly more upmarket cafe - blame the UK - everything that purports to be slighlty better quality seems to be very expensive; compared, say, to the continent. We can't all spend our lives in greasy spoons; so at least we have another option - and we definitely needed this sort of business venture in Sydenham.
AND !!! if it's really busy it would indicate the high street could do with more of the same (might help competitive prices). The Dolphin was really busy last night - so the high street is also calling out for another (don't have a go at me ..) 'middle class' pub. There is clearly the market for it.

Sydenham, it seems, may well be on the turn !!!
poppy

Blue Mountain

Post by poppy »

Where is their other branch, then apart from ED?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Opposite Gipsy Hill Station