Police Station - Dartmouth Road

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
student

Post by student »

I must agree with the poster who commented about the miriam signage looking poor and out of place and also the dropping of the original Paul Breen name which I think is just indicative of 'modern' Britain.......
I've found this site because I was working in Dulwich the other day and thought I would pass by the old section house for old times sake. I used to live there from the late summer of 96 through to the summer of 97 - boy was I shocked. The ballastade looks totally pants, although it still had the remnants of the knackered barrier support that got damaged sometime between my leaving in June 97 and then returning for a booze up in the July of the same year !!! I actually thought that it may still be 'the' section house tbh, but alas no. Would be interesting to catch up with anyone on here who lived there in the above time frame - you might work out who I am...........................
I'm all for helping the homeless/underprivaliged etc, but to kit it out with all mod cons etc including internet may have a slightly negative effect - Hell, without bills to pay maybe I wouldn't leave this damn computer!! I hope the ballastrade doesn't meet retrospective planning permission btw.............

ATB.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Suspicious/anti-social activity has been reported by me and our neighbours for the past few months. Nothing has directly been linked to Miriam Lodge.
Neighbours got burgled a couple of months ago

Other neighbours of ours got burgled today.
The guy was seen loitering suspiciously in the area from 9.30am. We called the police and they came round within half an hour and searched the area. However, shortly afterwards, the theft took place.

The suspect is a black male (approx 30 years old), 6ft tall and stocky. Short cropped hair and beard. At the time he was wearing black shorts and trainers and a yellow T-shirt

If you see anyone acting suspiciously close to your property, please call the police. In this current heatwave there are a lot of opportunist thieves around who will take advantage of open doors and windows.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I'm taking the time to post something that clarrifies a few posts.

My house is adjacent to Miriam Lodge, which began being used as holding accomodation for immigrants in around 2002. I do not consider myself a particular NIMBY and tolerated frequent awakenings from early morning 'wailing' and occasional late night music.
Around 2007 it was emptied and refurbished (still no news from Lewisham Planning on this).
It is now being used (amongst other things) as a bail hostel.
I have lived in ForestHill/Sydenham for 11 years now. Previous to 2007 I have had my car winscreen smashed with a brick by a gang of youths and had a car crash into my driveway, so I am not saying I lived in a Eutopian crime-free area, prior to Miriam Lodge being used as a Hostel.

However, in the past 2 years, we have:
*Been assaulted by a resident of Miriam Lodge whilst on a 176 bus.
*Nearby properties have had 2 burglaries
*Four cars have been vandalised with spray paint which were parked close to Miriam Lodge
*Been awoken in the early hours on many weekends by police sirens and shouting from police attending Miriam Lodge or just the lovely residents shouting abuse into the morning sky.
*Frequently groups of drinkers sit outside the police station, leaving behind bottles, cans and broken glass.
*A smashed front doorwindow
*people from Miriam Lodge jumping into peoples back gardens
* street begging

Now whilst only some of the above incidents can be blamed on Miriam Lodge residents, in my opnion, Miriam Lodge is contributing to a general decline in the immediate area.
I can draw similarities with having dozens of the street drinkers (of the type that used to frequent Sydenham Road) in your back garden.

Like I said, I don't consider myself to be a NIMBY, but perhaps the situation could be better managed.

(and the reason I put yesterdays burglary on this thread, is that at one point in the morning I saw the suspect walking out from the Miriam Lodge car park area)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I 100% agree. The persons who sanction bail hostels or illegals accomodation never live in the area.
Illegals should have been sent back on day one.

Re Bail Hostel if we have to have them should be more staffing and next to proper 24 hour police stations.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Eagle wrote:I 100% agree. The persons who sanction bail hostels or illegals accommodation never live in the area.
Illegals should have been sent back on day one..
A group of us who do live in the area did support the residents of Miriam House in the days it was used as a hostel for immigrants. It was an opportunity to meet some of them.

Some very brave men who had done rather more than me (or you?) to undermine disgusting regimes and had to flee from their homeland and families and throw themselves on our mercy. Calling them illegals (yes they broke their own country's laws) and sending them back on day one means death. Are you comfortable with that Eagle?

They were all single men. Its proximity to an all-girls school did raise some eyebrows at the time but the police were actually surprised that nothing serious was reported to them. Perhaps these 'illegals' needed to keep their records 'clean'?

I think an apology is due there Eagle.

A bail hostel is, of course, another matter. Some of the people may be innocent and will be found innocent in court. Realistically a lot won't and do cause a present and continued threat to every one in Sydenham. I remember when the old NatWest Hostel was used by Hackney Council to dump the people they didn't want in Hackney here in Sydenham. We had about 10 burglaries in the few years it was open and two in the many years it was not so I have feeling.

But what to do? If they are not in Miriam Lodge then they will be causing grief somewhere else. AliB has been very thoughtful and restrained in what is a terrible situation to which there really is no answer now. Except some transparency by Lewisham, Police and the operators. Until everybody is open about what is going on then it is difficult to see what could be done.

Perhaps a councillor should take the lead on this. Which ward is it in?

PP
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I think Miriam Lodge is in Forest Hill Ward, perhaps someone can confirm.

I am being restrained in my postings as getting all angry doesn't seem to achieve a lot in the long term, but i am very upset.

Whilst not being a Nimby and not living in a crime-free area (pre Miriam Lodge), I am pondering the question of.......

When a lot of people in the community are working very hard to improve the Sydenham/Forest Hill area, why as a resident should I be subject to a distinct drop in the general quality of my domestic life.?

I challenge anyone not to be upset or intimidated by some of the unsavoury characters who are now on my doorstep. To have to cross the road with my dog so she doesn't walk through broken glass, to be regularly asked for money just yards from your home and have to have community police around to do 'security checks' on your property......

Sorry, i'm ranting now.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote: Except some transparency by Lewisham, Police and the operators. Until everybody is open about what is going on then it is difficult to see what could be done.
What info &c. would you like with regards to "transparency"? - You know what the building is and what it is used for.....what more is there to know?

That's genuine question by the way....the fact is, it's there - it needs to be somewhere - unfortunately for the people who live there. If you experience crime then report it as normal. The police are well aware of the characters who live around there. You won't be getting a policeman stationed outside all the time though and beyond that I really can't see a solution.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

What is a bail hostel?

The answer of for people on bail doesn't really explain it. Why do they need a hostel? They already have somewhere to live or, if not, could continue to live on the street. Or is it that they have to be kept under supervision. That is a custody half way house. In which case they are a known threat to the community and what you have is close to an open prison.

That would seem to require a change of use and planning requirements possibly to protect neighbours. You see I'm speculating. I don't know. I suspect AliB doesn't either. Plus we had problems that when it was an ordinary immigration hostel the authorities wanted to keep that fact secret so it wouldn't 'scare the natives'. Now the natives are scared we should surely not perpetrate this very english concept of secrecy?

AliB - I thought it might be FH ward too. Here are the councillors, I think Alex is trying to make a name for himself as a prospective MP. Interesting to see if he will accept the challenge:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDe ... ForestHill

PP
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote:What is a bail hostel?

The answer of for people on bail doesn't really explain it. Why do they need a hostel? They already have somewhere to live or, if not, could continue to live on the street. Or is it that they have to be kept under supervision. That is a custody half way house. In which case they are a known threat to the community and what you have is close to an open prison.

That would seem to require a change of use and planning requirements possibly to protect neighbours. You see I'm speculating. I don't know. I suspect AliB doesn't either. Plus we had problems that when it was an ordinary immigration hostel the authorities wanted to keep that fact secret so it wouldn't 'scare the natives'. Now the natives are scared we should surely not perpetrate this very english concept of secrecy?

AliB - I thought it might be FH ward too. Here are the councillors, I think Alex is trying to make a name for himself as a prospective MP. Interesting to see if he will accept the challenge:
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDe ... ForestHill

PP

A bail hostel is, as you say, somewhere where people are bailed to. You can't bail someone to No Fixed Abode. I think they are always for people who are to be released from prison on license but have no alternative accommodation. As in, I don't think pre-charge bailed prisoners...but they may be used for those with NFA.

For more info ask the Probation Service...

As for change of use and planning permission - I genuinely don't know.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Having seen the pictures of the interior and the facilities therein, I would imagine theres an awful lot of its "guests" who would be more than happy to stay there permanently.

I have had the misfortune to "meet" members of its clientelle in a local pubs.
One example was causing all sorts of trouble . After being asked by the inn-keeper to leave the premises and refusing, it needed three of us to remove said life-form (bottomus pondus, not to be confused with beddus riverus") out of the place.

I see no reason why they dont use it for MP's (liarus consumatus) accomodation, I am sure these two lifeforms would get on very well together
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Fantastic suggestion GB. Why isn't Miriam Lodge with all its luxurious internals used as a block for MP's second homes to be near the 'house'. Along with the excellent (public) transport links into town would surely see a huge reduction in expenses claims.

However, I'm still pondering which group of people (MP's, or those awaiting trial) has the more dubious moral character and which I would prefer to be my neighbours. It would be too close to call IMHO.
parker

Post by parker »

Who exactly pays to run this ghastly place? Id love to know.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

As Paddy Pantsdown says, some comments can be classed as"speculation, informed guesswork, hearsay, rumours or balance of probability". I am trying to write information only where it has been winessed by either myself or people known to me. I have also written to Alex Feakes this morning and will keep people posted, if anyone is interested. I have also told him the issue is deing discussed on STF if he wants to check the Forum.

I understand from speaking to the supposed Manager of the site, that it is privately owned and operated and thus Lewisham Council and the police have little say in its operation. I think the residents pay a nominal charge for accomodation, but I have no idea how much, or indeed if that is actually the case.

Next week Miriam Lodge is scheduled to raise the height of the boundary wall with residents gardens, in order to stop occupants of Miriam Lodge jumping into gardens, etc. etc. I would love to put electrified razor wire at the end of our garden, but I think the law would prevent me from protecting my property in such a manner.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i understand there may be a meeting with some of the local residents on Wednesday 22nd July. I cannot confirm whether this is the case, but if I attend any meetings I will post a summary on here.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

I first put a post on here in 2007 stating that it was a great shame that the name of this building had been changed. Now I am glad that the name was changed as I would not like the name of a good Police officer to be associated with this awful place. My sympathies go out to all who live in the area and have to put up with the type of people who are living there. I do hope a local councillor looks into what is going on.......
poppy

Post by poppy »

I have only read a little bit of this thread, but I it does seem that councils like to dump certain types of people in the same area. Do you think they would have put this hostel on the edge of Blackheath, for example? I doubt it.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

poppy wrote:I have only read a little bit of this thread, but I it does seem that councils like to dump certain types of people in the same area. Do you think they would have put this hostel on the edge of Blackheath, for example? I doubt it.
do you know where all the bail hostels are in this borough? Do you know where all the properties with "problem people" are in this borough?

What basis do you have to your assertion?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Unfortunately, the residents meeting hasn't taken place yet.

As I understand it, there was an incident at Miriam Lodge late on Friday 17th July where a weapon was involved. The police arrived on the scene and began asking local residents for pemission to search some of their garden areas for the weapon.

I am also aware there was a meeting last week in Miriam Lodge with some Senior members of Lewisham Council and the Mayor. I do not know the specifics of what was discussed, or indeed any outcomes.

Lets hope nothing else nasty happens before some solutions are put into place. In the meantime we will keep pressing for better management.

Ali B
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The lack of any comment or contribution from Councillors and Lewisham probably says a lot.

As neighbouring residents, we regularly endure late night sirens by police attending the lodge and general shouting and music into the early hours.
We are regularly approached for money in the streets outside our home and there are incidents of burglary and property damage that have been reported to police (but i do not suggest all the culprits came from Miriam Lodge)

A special note, is that i have been informed in a passing conversation that the lodge is accepting residents from outside the borough of Lewisham.

Imagine my happiness when at 5pm today there were another group of people entering the lodge, who were shouting to each other..."Got any gear ?" "Do you smoke dope ?" , "yeah, i got some"...etc, etc

It is a real pleasure to live next door to this hovel and to appreciate the 'culture' and depreciation in property value and quality of life associated with having a bunch of criminals dumped on your doorstep.

Thank you Lewisham for approving this

I wish i could do something for you in return